Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track mode V2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question. How is it possible to transfer all the power to the rear with the new track mode. From what I see you can select 100% rear wheel drive as opposed to 50/50. Doesn’t that mean that one motor can produce the full hp? The motors are independent of each other. There’s no way (that I can think) of transferring power from one motor to the next.... in other word, each motor is capable of producing 450+ hp? Please correct me if I’m thinking wrong here.

Reactions: jmaddr
There’s no way (that I can think) of transferring power from one motor to the next.... in other word, each motor is capable of producing 450+ hp? Please correct me if I’m thinking wrong here.

You're correct, the motors can't suddenly become more powerful (well they could if Tesla was limiting them this whole time, but they aren't). By selecting 100% rear bias it likely reduces overall vehicle power and track times as well, probably only useful for drifting.

Many of us have Scan My Tesla which lets us see the specific power being used at any moment, we should get some cool videos exploring how the power bias works once Track Mode V2 comes out!

Cool video of Scan My Tesla on track as an example (shout out @MoreAgain who's username JUST clicked for me LOL):

Perhaps they are channeling all the battery power to the rear motor versus feeding both at the same time, motor power is based on the amount of energy that is available to them.

Definitely possible, but that would mean the rear motor is way oversized for it's typical usage (which means more weight and money) so i don't think they can really pull too much more power from the rear motor. Tesla typically designs things to be operated close to their limit for weight/money savings (i.e the battery pack reserve is way less than other EV makers).

Track times are much faster with V2 track mode.

We do not have any evidence of that yet, what makes you say that?

Reactions: afadeev
Have you guys heard anything around the tire temp/coloring? Is that actually accurate? Are there tire temp sensors on the cars?? Or is it more of a gimmick?

TPMS sensors apparently can report temps, but that is air temp and not really the tire rubber temp - so its not super accurate. Same with brake temps, they are guesstimates.

TPMS sensors apparently can report temps, but that is air temp and not really the tire rubber temp - so its not super accurate. Same with brake temps, they are guesstimates.

Interested. Thanks for this info. I never knew that. I guess it's still cool nonetheless as long as it's somewhat accurate. A lot of neat features with this v2 track mode. I'm super excited for it...even if I never go to the track and race my car. lol

With respect to the 100% rear drive debate i1tesla says that if you set power distribution to 0:100 then the car is clever in that it knows when you are accelerating in a straight line and gives you the full 50:50 power split max output and its only when you corner that the power is 100% to the rear.
It sounds very clever if it works properly but if it does then you can accelerate out of those corners along a straight as quickly as before.

Great to see the extra cash paid I for the M3P+ (or whatever you call it) being put to good use.
Mustn't let those grubby LR AWD people in on the act... ;)

Tesla typically designs things to be operated close to their limit for weight/money savings (i.e the battery pack reserve is way less than other EV makers).

I disagree.

From the Electronics to the A-Arms... I see Tesla over-designs with room with healthy additional tolerance on just about everything in the car.
Watch Sandy Monroe's videos and study at all the parts if your an Engineer. Especially the battery.
Which cars \ exact models have more pack reserve? Do you have any references on this? From my Experience most EVs have none. Take the Nissan Leaf for example...
I owned one and there was Zero Reserve in the Battery. Most just use math in the form of 'miles left on charge' to warn the driver early for a low pack. When the Leaf got to 'Turtle' it would often not even produce what the mfg claimed and left people on the sid eof the road. Tesla is the only MFG I have ever heard of opening up additional capacity for their cars in emergencies etc. so you know it's there.

• Disagree
I disagree.

From the Electronics to the A-Arms... I see Tesla over-designs with room with healthy additional tolerance on just about everything in the car.
Watch Sandy Monroe's videos and study at all the parts if your an Engineer. Especially the battery.
Which cars \ exact models have more pack reserve? Do you have any references on this? From my Experience most EVs have none. Take the Nissan Leaf for example...
I owned one and there was Zero Reserve in the Battery. Most just use math in the form of 'miles left on charge' to warn the driver early for a low pack. When the Leaf got to 'Turtle' it would often not even produce what the mfg claimed and left people on the sid eof the road. Tesla is the only MFG I have ever heard of opening up additional capacity for their cars in emergencies etc. so you know it's there.

Why the Audi E-tron’s Range Came Up Short

The new BEVs in the market have reserves. Taycan is said to have a ~10% total reserve.