Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction Control disabled Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I had Traction Control Disabled message come up today. Message said to contact Tesla service.

Interesting thing is that the regenerative brakes also did not work. That is a weird feeling. Instead of slowing down, the car just glides on.

Anyways, I pulled into a parking lot and did a full reboot. I think that is what it is called.

Hold down the brake and the 2 buttons on the steering wheel until the screen goes black.

When the system came back up, the error was gone.

Hope this helps someone.

Good luck,

Vin

Hello All,

I had Traction Control Disabled message come up today. Message said to contact Tesla service.

Interesting thing is that the regenerative brakes also did not work. That is a weird feeling. Instead of slowing down, the car just glides on.

Anyways, I pulled into a parking lot and did a full reboot. I think that is what it is called.

Hold down the brake and the 2 buttons on the steering wheel until the screen goes black.

When the system came back up, the error was gone.

Hope this helps someone.

Good luck,

Vin
I hope you also reported it. It's great that a reboot fixed it, but fixing the root cause might be handy.

Why do Tesla owners need to report error messages. With the 4G connected cars, doesn't Tesla know more about the cars then the owners?

With that logic PC operating systems should also be perfect and bug free.

I don't know that we have evidence that the cars call home every time they have an error or if that information is used to correct such issues. However, if a user files a bug report then we know that calls home and also with the owner's permission.

Our model 3 had similar message tonight. Messages -

Cruise control disabled
Car needs service
Steering assist reduced
Traction Control Disabled
contact Tesla Service
Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled

I also lost regen.

I had to do several reboots before the message disappear. Car seems to behave normally now.

I also report the problem to Tesla. I will call the SC on Monday to see if I still need to bring the car in.

I had the same issue happen to me yesterday. Did a soft reboot with the scroll toggles with no luck. Did a hard power off and sat in the car for a good two minutes before rebooting. That seemed to work.

I had Tesla support on the phone during this process. They are aware of this issue and it is apparently due to a bug in firmware 21.9. Per the person I spoke with, it will be resolved in 24.1 when you receive it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Why do Tesla owners need to report error messages. With the 4G connected cars, doesn't Tesla know more about the cars then the owners?

As an engineer working on products where there's customer telemetry:

A customer reporting error messages makes it more likely that someone investigates this specific error, and that results in more targeted advice. But having fleet connectivity means that engineering does get stuff like "hmm there's a lot of this kind of error lately, I wonder what's going on". Or it helps measure how frequently customers get these kinds of errors.

Sure in an ideal world there would be enough staffing that every intermittent error on your car gets investigated by a human somewhere, but I don't know of a single company where that's the reality... There's already two aspects of Tesla I think are commendable in this regard:

(1) We have seen cases where they proactively reach out to owners for severe faults (e.g. HV battery replacement)
(2) Almost any time you contact Roadside Assistance or your service center for a fault, they are able to remotely pull logs and relevantly diagnose your problem (if not fix it) without any work from you. This day and age, we STILL take our 2018 BMW into a dealership for an Engine Malfunction light (driving the thing in frightening reduced torque mode) just so that they can pull codes and call back in a day to talk about next steps. And that car has LTE connectivity too!

Reactions: Lindenwood
We had this issue this weekend. It's happened on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday it lasted about 15-20 minutes. I did a quick reboot (holding both scrollwheels) and the error messages were still there. They went away after about 15 minutes. I think it's happened twice since then, but the errors went away in less than 2 minutes.

We tried the other reboot last night (2 scroll wheels + brakes). I'm not sure if that's the correct way or not. Hopefully that fixes it?

My 3 got this error yesterday. No traction control and no regen at all. The 2 button / brake pedal reset didn't fix it, then while I was driving home and on hold with Tesla service, I stopped at a convenience store and when I came back out to the car, the error was gone. I did another two button / brake pedal reset anyway.

The service person said that parking the car and getting out shuts it down and allows it to restart when you get back in, whch can be enough to fix it.

My car has 28.3, got it a few days ago.

Once you get used to having regen, it's weird to take your foot off the electric pedal and the car just keeps rolling on.

My 3 got this error yesterday. No traction control and no regen at all. The 2 button / brake pedal reset didn't fix it, then while I was driving home and on hold with Tesla service, I stopped at a convenience store and when I came back out to the car, the error was gone. I did another two button / brake pedal reset anyway.

The service person said that parking the car and getting out shuts it down and allows it to restart when you get back in, whch can be enough to fix it.

Once you get used to having regen, it's weird to take your foot off the electric pedal and the car just keeps rolling on.

Back when I received the “traction control disabled” error message (on version 21.9), it went away when I parked and got back into the car. It never showed up again, however I still contacted Tesla Service to let them know. They looked into the vehicle logs and didn’t see any issues present. About 3 weeks after contacting Tesla Service, they asked that I bring the car in to replace the steering column control module.

My view is to always contact Tesla Service, when these issues/errors come up, so at least the bug is reported and associated with my vehicle. If they replace a potentially problematic part, I’d rather it happen under warranty on Tesla’s dime, not mine.

Reactions: Vintre

Yup. Same here. No regen and the steering felt different. I have mine set on "sport", it felt more like "comfort".
On the plus side, we got an almost brand new S 75D as a loaner. Love the acceleration and cushy ride, but besides that the 3 is way better.

Took delivery of my P3D last week and had this same problem tonight. Steering, regen brakes, traction control, emerge braking. Tried roadside assist but was on hold for 40 minutes never got through. Problem disappeared after I stopped to pick up my daughter. Going to need to report it via bug report and cal my service center. Only 475 miles on it. A bit concerning.

My series of events was described as a cascade of system shutdowns.

My Model 3 started by disabling the traction control, shortly followed by regenerative braking and emergency braking.
Two button reboot was no help.

I was encouraged that the car was able to diagnose itself and I never felt unsafe. It just became a mortal vehicle.

I ended up getting a technician at the dealership to remotely review the log files and they elected to replace the steering control module.

I have not experienced the problem since.

Attachments

• C204D24D-9A09-4DC5-9377-CE076E6DC9C5.jpeg
    C204D24D-9A09-4DC5-9377-CE076E6DC9C5.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 715