Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction control - won't accelerate out of a corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nick

May 22, 2012
My 1.5 won't accelerate out of a corner - it just puddles along with the traction control light flashing until the corner is pretty much over.

If I turn the traction control off the car powers out of corners like a rocket - plenty of grip.
Car is really well behaved.

I am wondering if something is wrong with the car, if Tesla did a firmware update that changed the TC, or if I am just more enthusiastic these days.

Every now and again I forget to turn TC off after getting in the car - pulling out of a driveway or first corner I am reminded that TC is on because the car won't GO!

What tires do you have on the car? The 1.5 is very picky. If the diameter is just a little off, the traction control will kick in because it thinks the tires are slipping.
Front = A048 (195/50R-16) installed in May.
Rear = AD08R (225/45R-17) installed in August.

Does the TC monitor L vs R (which would miss-trigger cornering wouldn't it?), or is it front vs rear aware (which would miss-trigger on tire wear)

Edit - I have some stock front AD07's on rims I could test if you think it is worth trying

Well the revolutions are different on that tire you're running, the AD07 in a 175/55 - 16 that comes stock runs at 885 revs per mile where your AD048 195/50R-16 runs at an 879 revs per mile. I don't think Tesla ever ran the AD048 on a 1.5, 2.0's yes but they have tire learning. The 1.5 throws a fit if the revs per mile are not close to the original spec.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
Well the revolutions are different on that tire you're running, the AD07 in a 175/55 - 16 that comes stock runs at 885 revs per mile where your AD048 195/50R-16 runs at an 879 revs per mile. I don't think Tesla ever ran the AD048 on a 1.5, 2.0's yes but they have tire learning. The 1.5 throws a fit if the revs per mile are not close to the original spec.
Huh, interesting.

Non driving tires... silly the size matters.

What are people running on the front of the 1.5 these days?

Front - tried AD07 (175), A048 (195), and R888 (195).
Rear - tried AD07, AD08R, and R888.

My 1.5 had A048's on it when I bought it. I was under the impression it was an option at purchase, even on the 1.5's.

Did you pick up your 1.5 new from Tesla and request the A048's? From what I know they were an option that came out only during the 2010 year and later in the Sport models. I'm sure you could have talked Tesla in putting them in the 2010+ non-sports if you really wanted them. But the 2010/2.0 was when the TPMS changed and Tesla added 'tire learning'.

From TEG's early postings:

Roadster History North America
==========================================================================
2010 also introduced the Sport package option which included many upgrade features including:
  • More low end torque for 0 to 60 in 3.7 instead of 3.9.
  • Adjustable suspension for higher performance handling.
  • Stickier tires. (Yokohama A048 instead of AD07)
    attachment-php-attachmentid-701-stc-1-d-1276046544-jpg.127256
    ==========================================================================

When I replaced the R888 tires on the front I went with AD07 tires again, but then managed to get into EV track day at Laguna Seca earlier this year so ordered the A048 tires for the event.

What tires are on your rear now? The rear AD08 have revs per mile at 836 (basically the same as AD07@835) but the Dunlop R888's have a rev per mile of 832. So you can see when you start moving tires around how this can change or confuse a closed system whose sole job is to monitor front to back fixed wheel rotation ratios. But also there's tire wear, so that changes this rate of rotation and really that needs to be figured in to see how much room you have to play.

You can view these rotation rates for any tire listed on the TireRack, just click on the Specifications tab and search for the Rotation per Mile column. Its essential to know these figures for the 1.5's.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RobsJester