Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in credit in accout $1000 lower than quote a few hours before

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got quoted $20K for my trade in, supposed to be good for 30 days... right?

I was pretty satisfied with my quote ( still will take it to CarMax just to check ) so i went ahead and placed an order for an in inventory 3 LR.
Everything went fine without an issue, till the point about the trade in. I chose the quote saved to my account - then it said a rep will look into it to calculate the payoff, will take 24 hours.

Just checked right now( a few hours later), the final credit to the account is 1k below the original quote.....
If i open an incognito or a new browser and quote the exact same car with the exact same miles it comes out to original quote.... don't know how Tesla does business but i would believe "valid for 30 days" means exactly that, not some bait and switch shenanigans. it was supposed to be pretty clear and simple and based on KBB "good".

Any idea who and when should i bring this up? I tried texting my advisor but no reply back. Delivery is still pending, is supposed to be here sometime next week.

Believe the first number is 100% computer generated
The second number a human looked into it and revised what they feel are current market conditions for your car
Seems reasonable to me, I don’t know if any dealer that does not do something similar

To be fair, find out what your car is worth
Take it to CarMax if they are less than 19 you know Tesla is not ripping you off
If they are greater than 19 have Tesla price match your CarMax quote

I got quoted $20K for my trade in, supposed to be good for 30 days... right?
If i open an incognito or a new browser and quote the exact same car with the exact same miles it comes out to original quote.... don't know how Tesla does business but i would believe "valid for 30 days" means exactly that, not some bait and switch shenanigans. it was supposed to be pretty clear and simple and based on KBB "good".

I looked on the Tesla website "Trade In Calculator" and looks like the "Payoff Amount" refers to the amount of debt that you owe on the vehicle. I'm just guessing, but is listed as unrelated to your trade-in value. So maybe you have some debt on the vehicle?

"The pay-off is how much you owe the lender for your trade. It in no way reflects how much your trade-in is worth, and most often the pay-off is higher than your trade-in's actual value."

https://ezinearticles.com/?Your-Car-Trade-In-Pay-Off---Understanding-How-It-Works!&id=772995

Last edited:
Believe the first number is 100% computer generated
The second number a human looked into it and revised what they feel are current market conditions for your car
Seems reasonable to me, I don’t know if any dealer that does not do something similar

To be fair, find out what your car is worth
Take it to CarMax if they are less than 19 you know Tesla is not ripping you off
If they are greater than 19 have Tesla price match your CarMax quote

I understand that, but it clearly says "Valid for 30 days" the only contingencies added are major damage or more than 1000 miles. Neither applies cause i was never asked for pictures or anything.

"This quote will be valid for 30 days as long as the trade-in vehicle is free of major cosmetic and mechanical issues, has no history of any
accidents, is drivable, and the odometer reading does not increase by 1,000 miles or more. "

I got my delivery email ealier today, scheduled for next week. I hope to have this sorted out, because it does rub me the wrong way. I was hoping to not having to deal with regular car dealer shenanigans.

Who is the point of contact now that is on delivery? My store sales advisor or will I be talking with someone from Delivery?

I understand that, but it clearly says "Valid for 30 days" the only contingencies added are major damage or more than 1000 miles. Neither applies cause i was never asked for pictures or anything.

"This quote will be valid for 30 days as long as the trade-in vehicle is free of major cosmetic and mechanical issues, has no history of any
accidents, is drivable, and the odometer reading does not increase by 1,000 miles or more. "

I got my delivery email ealier today, scheduled for next week. I hope to have this sorted out, because it does rub me the wrong way. I was hoping to not having to deal with regular car dealer shenanigans.

Who is the point of contact now that is on delivery? My store sales advisor or will I be talking with someone from Delivery?

Its not a "shenanigan". You owe money on the car which you did not properly tell them about.

As to "point of contact", unfortunately, you will be lucky to find someone on the phone especially within a weeks time. It is very bad service and what we all experienced unfortunately.

Its not a "shenanigan". You owe money on the car which you did not properly tell them about.

Dude what are you talking about? The amount of the payoff has nothing to with do the original quote. The payoff is just the difference between the quoted value and what is owed, if any. What i am saying is that the quoted trade in value.. i don't understand what you getting at really.

Telsa: We'll pay for 19k for your car, you just cover the difference at delivery. offer is good for 30 days, if you place an order
Me: Sounds like a deal. Places orders
Tesla: Lolz JK, were gonna pay 18K instead, even thought we said the offer was valid for 30 days. You still need to cover the difference, which oh sorry, its 1K more!

Dude what are you talking about? The amount of the payoff has nothing to with do the original quote. The payoff is just the difference between the quoted value and what is owed, if any. What i am saying is that the quoted trade in value.. i don't understand what you getting at really.

Telsa: We'll pay for 19k for your car, you just cover the difference at delivery. offer is good for 30 days, if you place an order
Me: Sounds like a deal. Places orders
Tesla: Lolz JK, were gonna pay 18K instead, even thought we said the offer was valid for 30 days. You still need to cover the difference, which oh sorry, its 1K more!

Can you post a screenshot?

Call your sales advisor. They can contact the appraisal team and get it figured out.
Happened to me too but was a difference of about 4 grand. Tesla ended up standing by their original value after lots of back and forth.

I had to upload pictures of the trade in early in the process. The trade in status was pending in my account until I had a scheduled delivery. It matched the original quote. 14 days and 400 miles later. KBB trade in value using good as the condition. Fair enough to me. Of course I could sell it privately for 2-3k more but didn’t want to deal with all of that.