Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in Drama, should I just walk away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great! So sell your car to them. Why deal with someone whose business terms and practices you dislike? It only irritates you and encourages their behavior. ( I certainly did not sell my old car to Tesla!) fortunately there is a robust open market for used cars, you have many choices.
In many states, sales tax is offset by your trade in. So it can make a material difference.

Would be better if they didn't play the games.

Great! So sell your car to them. Why deal with someone whose business terms and practices you dislike? It only irritates you and encourages their behavior. ( I certainly did not sell my old car to Tesla!) fortunately there is a robust open market for used cars, you have many choices.

Thats exactly what I did.

I sold my car to a local dealer for $4K more than what Tesla offered.. literally 2 days after buying my Model Y. Maybe you want to scroll up and read what I already wrote.

Last edited:
In many states, sales tax is offset by your trade in. So it can make a material difference.

Would be better if they didn't play the games.

Exactly.

There are many benefits to trading in your old car to the same dealer, which is selling your new car. Not only does it make everything an easy same-day transaction.. but it's especially beneficial to those who live in states where sales tax is offset by your trade. There are also financial concerns for others as banks may be concerned about some people having two car loans at the same time.

Either way.. the correct answer here is that Tesla should just honor the trade-in price they quote upfront. I totally understand that used car values go up and down.. by there is nothing extraordinary about them honoring the trade-in price they originally quote for up to 7 days. As I pointed out.. SEVERAL online retailers already do this and it's now pretty common at this point.

Reactions: sunwarriors
The used car market is changing literally by the day right now. Estimated are… get this, estimates. They present their trade values as estimates right up front and note they’re subject to change. If you don’t like those terms, don’t agree to them.

I get that you’re mad your trade value is dropping like a rock, but that doesn’t compel Tesla or anyone else to overpay.

I’m thinking that word doesn’t mean what you think it does.
Estimate means within a reasonable range - they were quoting a Tesla being Tesla how can they be $7400 Dollar wrong - intern doing estimates ?
This is not an estimate this is manipulation of numbers within 7 days?
Did you ever have anything in your life 7400 dollars misesrimated? How can a Tesla model 3 have 7400 Dollar different value than it had 7 days ago - not unless and elephant sat on it - surely the 6 photos hey want would have shown that and it did not this is an unmodified first owner car in prime condition. Upsetting and insulting Tesla owners with revoking a quote is what I take issue with. To me it is like telling a student - hey I like your essay - it should get you a 90 percent and then reducing it to a 70 - not cool to take 20 percent away from someone at your mercy at that point. It is emotionally hurtful.

I haven't had anyone tell me in the last two years that the Tesla trade offer was the highest offer they got when they shopped trades.

The only reasons to trade to Tesla are convenience or sales tax benefit if your state gives you credit for the trade. For example, if your tax on the new vehicle is $4,000 and by trading in you only have to pay $1,000 the even though Tesla has say a $2,000 lower offer you would still be saving $1,000.

I don't know any other reason. And don't request trade quote until you have a VIN or your ready to take delivery. It will result in more frustration and can potentially delay you getting a VIN.

Even with all the above you usually always make out better with a private party sale.

How can a Tesla model 3 have 7400 Dollar different value than it had 7 days ago - not unless and elephant sat on it
Elonephant sat on your car when he reduced the prices of brand new Model 3s by that much and then some in the past 7 days. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what happens to used values in that scenario.

It is emotionally hurtful.
Just business, boss. Don’t bring emotion into it. Your car is worth $7400 less than it was 7 days ago. That’s just the facts. Be hurt or even outraged by that if you want, but it’s not Tesla’s job to take the hit for you. Estimates change based on market conditions.

Well, caravan is likely to be out of business soon so…. And their estimates are always lowball even compared to other buyers. Tesla made me a fair offer but I decided the car was worth more as a backup and removed the trade in.
Carvana is actually giving me a pretty good f
I haven't had anyone tell me in the last two years that the Tesla trade offer was the highest offer they got when they shopped trades.

The only reasons to trade to Tesla are convenience or sales tax benefit if your state gives you credit for the trade. For example, if your tax on the new vehicle is $4,000 and by trading in you only have to pay $1,000 the even though Tesla has say a $2,000 lower offer you would still be saving $1,000.

I don't know any other reason. And don't request trade quote until you have a VIN or your ready to take delivery. It will result in more frustration and can potentially delay you getting a VIN.

Even with all the above you usually always make out better with a private party sale.
Exactly, people need to do the numbers to see what is better. I got the following offers:
  • Vroom - $53k
  • Tesla - $58k
  • Carvana - $60k
  • CarMax - $60k
Obviously I am going with Tesla as I would have $5,000 in tax savings making that $58k trade in worth more like $63k. That makes Tesla the highest value for me.