Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered a Model Y which should be arriving in 1-4 weeks. When placing the order, I wanted to see what the trade-in value would be on our old car that is getting replaced, to my surprise Tesla offered more than other places has done.

Because Tesla simply asks for 5 pictures and mileage of the car to determine the trade-in value, I have this feeling inside that the offer is too good to be true. My old car doesn't have any big dents or something, but it does have multiple scratches and these didn't really show up well on the photos they asked for, and there is no textbox where can write some comments about the car's condition. Will Tesla 100% just take the trade-in car at the agreed value on the delivery day and that's it? Or will they inspect the old car and potentially negotiate if they don't think it looks as good as it did on the photos?

It would be helpful to know how your trade-in experience on delivery day? What should I expect?

When I traded mine in today, after submitting the pictures and accepting their offer, I was expecting them to inspect the car at the SC. They just took my title and the key fobs and that was it. Nothing beyond that at all. The staff at the SC had hinted that all the decision making about the trade-ins is handled out of California, so I don't think the local staff really cares too much as long as the paperwork is in order.

I found Tesla did not offer a very good trade in value. They offered me 10.5k for a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium edition. I shopped it around for cash value at local dealerships and got 12.5k for it.

Once that was processed, I pulled the trigger on a Model Y, Long Range, white interior, FSD.

They will inspect your car but the staff do not really care since appraisers aren't there. They will just check for major dents or anything that sticks out. When I got my MX last year they quickly went through my prius but didn't seem to care much. This time I offered my MX to trade-in for the Y but Tesla lowballed me so I sold to a private party for way more.

My trade in was in excellent shape and I had no worries about last minute inspection concerns. They did offer a good trade in price and I had the same experience that GFX50S did. The Tesla rep doing the MY delivery just took the paperwork, title (make sure it’s a paper title-they won’t take electronic) and gave us some forms to sign with no inspection. We got pretty much the same thing on the MY delivery, just handed us the key and said any questions. No intro or anything else.
It seems like they are locking themselves in as they give you a firm trade in amount and we paid the full difference before MY delivery. It would be a pain to both parties if they tried to change things on delivery day. Trade in also goes to a 3rd party anyway.

We got our 2016 Rav4 Hybrid (~45k miles) assessed online at $8k from Tesla but felt it was way below what it should be.

Shopped it around at 3 other places the day after receiving the online Tesla quote and they came in at $19k, $19.1k, and $19.5k.

Checked with Tesla if they’d consider a second look in person as opposed to the online quote and they said their offer is firm - advised us to take the other offers.

Just turned in the Rav4 keys and title yesterday and (im)patiently awaiting our LR MY White with induction wheels and tow hitch.