Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in for new or buy AP to my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah ; prior to is actually how the program was intended.
i.e. for people who ordered a custom car prior to 9/10 or 9/12 ; a sales advisor could match them to any inventory car if customer would accept delivery before end of Sept. offering up to 2 free deviations as an incentive to accept the car immediately available.

So to qualify you had to already had placed a custom order and were in a waiting cue.
The thought was those deliveries otherwise likely wouldn't happen in Q3 so was a way to boost Q3 deliveries and reduce on the lot inventory in Q3.
Problem is sales advisors countrywide took that to mean you can offer anyone those 2 free upgrades as long as they took delivery by end of month. Word of that spread on places like this forum and it became a real mess for Tesla which is why I am saying they will handle it differently if done again.

A 12 month old LR AWD car without AP receiving a Tesla trade-in value of $6375 ($4500 + $1875) less than a new identical car with AP seems too good to be true. It doesn't pass the smell test.

I'd be very careful to get your Trade-In value and new car prices in writing from a Tesla sales advisor.

Also, as I mentioned, you risk getting a new car with potential flaws that need to be addressed in a service appointment, whereas your present car has no issues according to you.

upload_2019-10-11_16-37-50.png

New base LR AWD 47990 + 1200 (delivery fee)
Difference is $5390 - $1875 (federal credit) = $3515. I have added some additional money for registration and difference in GA TAVT based on purchase price of car minus trade in value.

I entered the info for our Model 3 in the Tesla Trade-In calculator and was instructed that a Tesla advisor would contact me for an accurate quote. No quote was provided online.
That is what happened today. Last time I did it, I received the email with the quote. I havent received another email today, so maybe Tesla has changed the process since last month?

What does the asterisk small print say (Net Trade-In Credit*)?
*Your Trade-In credit is your Kelley Blue Book Value ($43,800) minus the estimated payoff amount you provided ($0).

• Informative
Reactions: tvad
If you're happy with your present Model 3...it doesn't have defects that nag you (rattles, paint issues, etc)...you like the color and wheels, then I'd keep it and spend the $3k.

Buying a new Model 3 could open a can of worms regarding factory defects that require service department correction.

This is highly unlikely and uninformed. If your numbers are accurate I would jump on it.

Reactions: vickh