Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in has not been paid off yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You shouldnt have made that payment. Once you signed over the vehicle, it was no longer yours. by making a payment after that date, you are going to have a hard time getting any monies back in the transaction, because tesla (or anyone else) would just pay what is owed when they get a payoff, which now includes extra money you sent them.

Reactions: techlogik
You shouldnt have made that payment. Once you signed over the vehicle, it was no longer yours. by making a payment after that date, you are going to have a hard time getting any monies back in the transaction, because tesla (or anyone else) would just pay what is owed when they get a payoff, which now includes extra money you sent them.
I didn't want to take a hit on my credit score for late payment :( .. bank also said that I'm still responsible for the loan even though I traded in the car.

I didn't want to take a hit on my credit score for late payment :( .. bank also said that I'm still responsible for the loan even though I traded in the car.

I understand that, but a credit hit for late payment doesnt happen until you are "30 days late" . If your original payment date was june 11th, the same day you traded in your vehicle, it would have showed late in the banks system as of that date, but the hit to your credit would not have been until July 11th for being 30 days late.

Saying that, it sounds like I am piling on, which I am not attempting to do. All car dealers normally take a bit of time to pay off a loan, some more than others. The issue you will likely have is, tesla pulled the loan payoff as of whatever day you traded in your vehicle, and gave you whatever credit toward your new loan (if any) based on that value.

You made an additional payment, but unless your and tesla's payment literally "crossed in the mail", you may have a rough time getting that payment back. Tesla will pay whatever is owed on the vehicle when they go to pay it off, and that amount is going to be reduced some by your payment. If you dont care about getting that back, then its likely it would be paid off before you get 30 days late before your next payment is due.

If you want that money back, you may have to jump through some hoops trying to prove when you made the payment, etc.

The answer to your original question is, "sometimes I have read that tesla is slow with payoffs, especially around the end of the quarter".

After numerous phonecalls/texts/emails issue appears to be resolved, my loan was with Bank of America, and BoA was having some back end technical issue that was preventing my account from closing. Very helpful dude at the Deadham Tesla delivery center took care of it for me.

Reactions: dmurphy
After numerous phonecalls/texts/emails issue appears to be resolved, my loan was with Bank of America, and BoA was having some back end technical issue that was preventing my account from closing. Very helpful dude at the Deadham Tesla delivery center took care of it for me.
Awesome! Glad it all ended well. Sometimes these lenders take a while, too. It’s amazing what a manual process so much of this stuff still is.
Glad the Deadham center helped; I’ve heard nothing but good about that location.

Huh, thanks for the update. I took delivery on 6/14 and my BoA loan for my trade has also not been paid off. I guess I should hit up my SA and ask.