Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in model s for P3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a trade in figure from Tesla for my model S of £43000.
Now toying with getting the model 3 performance now that the price has dropped to around £50000 delivered.
So £7000 approx to change.
Dilemma is keep what I’ve got a few more years or swap now before the refresh in sept which may cause the current model S to drop a lot in value.

Anyone else considering doing the same?

Well with that mileage it's fairly clear that the "fringe benefits" of Model-S ownership - I assume you've got free supercharging? - aren't really a factor for you. And with that trim/options package it's hard to make an argument that you'd be giving up much in the way of comfort / capabilities either. Really the only objective consideration left is space: Model-3 passenger accomodation is about on par with Model S (I understand 3 adults in the back is a bit less comfortable, but that's about it). What you would really lose is quite a bit of cargo space.

So if you're happy with that, that £7000 buys you a (slightly) smaller, longer-range, more agile car with about a second's advantage on the 0-60 sprint. If you were doing a lot of driving and were happy with the compromises I'd say it was a a bit of a no-brainer...

(I've done the thinking myself and come to the opposite conclusion: right now I need the passenger and particularly cargo space much more than I need the range/performance, so I'll be sticking with my S 75D at least until I can kick the kids out of the house and stop being a surrogate Taxi service. Then I'll probably get a P3D and invest in Tyre futures....)

I think if Tesla had done their marketing homework better, they would have had a Model Y out rather than the M3

Agreed, but I think (back then, and with the rollout plan and cash constraint) if the M3 had been a hatchback it would have limited their ability to differentiate the Model-S.

Now my guess is that Tesla will refresh the Model-S and then the Model-Y won't be the same threat.

FWIW I configured a new MS March 22nd and was advised of an estimated delivery of May. Tesla gave me a price for trade in of my MS P85D which I thought was low (to say the least). Mid April I contacted R Symons and they gave me a price based on all the info I had which was about 30% higher and acceptable. Tesla delivery actually came through for June 22nd and at no time did Symons even suggest an adjustment on their quote. I'm hoping my post is not going to fall foul of posting procedures (if it is, my apologies), but if you check out Symons site, you will see my testimonial which is understated rather than exaggerated!

That's a big hit for only 9300 miles of motoring! But yeah £7k to get into a brand new Model 3P seems reasonable enough if you don't need such a big car as the S.

But its not just £7k, its £7k in additional to what was paid for the S minus the PX value.

Then divide that value by total month of ownership and/or mileage covered to get a true idea of cost to change.

Am all for man maths, but swapping into any brand new car on the pretence of 'saving' money on depreciation is just that, pretence.

If you want to change cars and can afford its not an issue though, and we all use man maths when needed:)

Having said that £44k px for an 18 months old 75D S doesn't sound that bad, what was the price paid? Anything thats projecting higher than 50% drop at 3 years is better than the industry standard for depreciation on a new car.

I’ve been wanting to ask that question many times but I’ve been putting off posting it on main M3 forum for fear that it’s going to be taken the wrong way.

For many the simple rationale will be that they don't actually need a huge car like the S. In fact I would put it that quite a few people bought the S simply because there was no smaller choice of Tesla or equivalent desirable EV on the market. Model 3 opens up a key choice that traditional ICE manufacturers have always offered i.e. Do you want a large/comfort express cruiser (S) or mid-sized sporty all-rounder (3)?

For many the simple rationale will be that they don't actually need a huge car like the S. In fact I would put it that quite a few people bought the S simply because there was no smaller choice of Tesla or equivalent desirable EV on the market. Model 3 opens up a key choice that traditional ICE manufacturers have always offered i.e. Do you want a large/comfort express cruiser (S) or mid-sized sporty all-rounder (3)?

This is exactly right in my case. I’ve been impressed with and wanting to make the move to EV with Tesla for the last couple of years but both the size and price point of the Model S and X put me off. Both too big and too expensive compared to my current Audi A4 Avant which I’d describe as a compact estate. The Model 3 on the other hand is a perfect size for our family even if the boot rather than hatch is a bit of a compromise. It’s a compromise I can live with given the other benefits and I don’t want to wait another two years for a Model Y.

I appreciate these reasons for UK customers, which is why until now I have not asked the question in UK centric forums, but its prevalent in other countries too where they seem to supersize as the default...

Ultimately the Model 3 is a far more popular size for uk customers. The uk market for cars the size of the S is actually very small in comparison and that applies to the whole of Europe too AFAIK.

Reactions: Rooster6655
quite a few people bought the S simply because there was no smaller choice of Tesla or equivalent desirable EV on the market

<Puts Hand Up> :)

Personally I'm not trading MS in favour of M3 because of boot vs. hatchback

I had a couple of VW Golf BlueMotion Eco Thingies. Then DieselGate happened, which given I had BlueMotions specifically because I am an Eco Worrier really annoyed me, so i looked around for something Eco, discovered Tesla, was annoyed I hadn't realised a couple of years earlier when buying my last, ever, in my lifetime, VW that EV could do 200 miles. So I bought the only 200+-mile capable EV model that existed back then ...

We used to have big-ish fast cars before our VW Eco Days ... so MS was a good fit, and having had a big car again I'm not sure I would change back ... but Model-Y might be the answer, or as a second car maybe.

350 mile EV would be a shut-out for me. We would have zero requirement for an ICE then, right now wife and I use the ICE for business trip days that are "awkward" for charging. We always take EV for leisure days, regardless of how awkward charging is.

Swapping MS for Raven will probably solve pretty much all range-challenge business days, in which case we may well ditch all our ICE remnants.

Was just getting carried away with myself wanting the faster performance.

Than you woke up from your dream and remembered what UK driving is like :)...

I was stuck behind a 911 GT3 for most of my commute yesterday, the amount of fuel this guy must have burnt doing 12mph average must have hurt, not forgetting the 'fun' of operating a clutch, been at eye level with a HGV with another monster truck behind you for 30 minutes, and putting up with the racket the engine made!!! At least they weren't in a convertible.

48138777658_397db04354_z_d.jpg