Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In Offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My trade in offer expires Feb. 1, 2022, but my delivery is not until June 9, 2022. Can I accept the trade in offer now and would it still be valid?
No. Sell privately and avoid the hassle of dealing with Tesla.

If you must trade in try Carvana, Vroom, etc

Whatever you may save on taxes (if applicable in your state) will likely be matched by higher offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horsemover

Whatever you may save on taxes (if applicable in your state) will likely be matched by higher offers.
How would trading into Carvana, Vroom, work if he’s buying from Tesla….

If he sells, I’d also give Shift a look. No clue how they stay in business with how much they offer.

What hassle of dealing with Tesla? You drive you car to Tesla, drop off the old one and pick up the new one. That seems like much less hassle than going to other places (assuming the price is the same) or dealing with a private party sale (which should fetch more money though).

Related question: Do you need to resubmit trade in every time it expires? Or do you just need to resubmit close to your EDD? My EDD isn’t until May but my initial offer expired in December. I just want to make sure I don’t hold up the process with an expired trade in offer.

FYI, my Tesla offer was higher than carmax, vroom, etc. Plus I live in a state where I get a sales tax reduction with a trade in.

What hassle of dealing with Tesla? You drive you car to Tesla, drop off the old one and pick up the new one. That seems like much less hassle than going to other places (assuming the price is the same) or dealing with a private party sale (which should fetch more money though).
Hahahahhahaha!!!

Good luck with that when they give you a trade in valuation that expires in 14 days and your vehicle order with them cannot be fulfilled for several months.

Related question: Do you need to resubmit trade in every time it expires? Or do you just need to resubmit close to your EDD? My EDD isn’t until May but my initial offer expired in December. I just want to make sure I don’t hold up the process with an expired trade in offer.

FYI, my Tesla offer was higher than carmax, vroom, etc. Plus I live in a state where I get a sales tax reduction with a trade in.
I recommend following the prompts in the app or on the website. The last thing you want to do is hold up the process. For me, since I'm trading in a M3, it just asked me for an updated odometer reading and then refreshed the offer.

My trade in offer expires Feb. 1, 2022, but my delivery is not until June 9, 2022. Can I accept the trade in offer now and would it still be valid?
I went through this scenario and contacted a SA about it for more info. The offer is only good for 30 days... meaning if it expires before you actually take delivery of your new Tesla, it would need to be reappraised. There's no option to trade it in before delivery, it can only be done when you take delivery of your new vehicle. This means you may end up being offered less depending on the then current market value of your trade.

Reactions: preilly44

You should wait until closer to your EDD since it expires every 30 days anyway. My SA swore to me that this causes no delay whatsoever on your EDD.

Reactions: preilly44

Tesla was 10% higher than carmax and carvana for me too, but 10% less than KBB. I don't under stand how they are all over the board

i just sold my 2020 Y LR for 5K more than i paid for it. (no sales tax in NJ, so yes, 5K more than I paid). I shopped it around with the online vendors, i sold it to givemethevin.com , they gave me the best price and were very easy to deal with. they sent me a contract and check, i sent them the title and dropped the car off at a location they have 20 min from my house. they offered pickup at my house but that reduced the offer by $800 so i drove 20 min.

i have a new Y P on order. didn't want to deal with the0 'wait till your car is here to get a price'. i get why tesla is doing what they are doing right now. at some point the used car market will correct and they don't want to be caught by that correction. nor did i, which is why i sold while the used market is hot.

Tesla was 10% higher than carmax and carvana for me too, but 10% less than KBB. I don't under stand how they are all over the board
KBB is not used by the used car wholesale market, it really has no bearing on real world wholesale prices that are used when trading a car in.

the wholesale market uses Galves. if you want to guestimate what Galves pricing is, go to KBB enter poor condition for a car that is actually in very good condition and you will have a more realistic view of what you can expect when trading a car in / the wholesale market price.

When I placed my order, I initially had my trade in set up. I cancelled/decline trade because of the long wait. I figured that I could always add the trade again once I got my VIN assigned a few months later. I was correct.

When you have your vin, call support and tell them you have a trade in and they will pull it back to your profile. You’ll need to give them an updated odometer picture at that point, but they get you a value within a few hours after you get it back in your profile.

Reactions: Hickster
KBB is not used by the used car wholesale market, it really has no bearing on real world wholesale prices that are used when trading a car in.

the wholesale market uses Galves. if you want to guestimate what Galves pricing is, go to KBB enter poor condition for a car that is actually in very good condition and you will have a more realistic view of what you can expect when trading a car in / the wholesale market price.
KBB actually offers a price to sell and connected me with dealerships to sell to.