Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Valuation in Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla offered me 20,000 less than I was offered in the Dallas market for my 2018 Model S p100D. Looking for similar cars on the Tesla web site, it was 20k less than they had on similar cars they are selling.

Not a bait and switch. The offer from Tesla has actually INCREASED by $7,000 on my 2018 Model 3! Much higher than CarMax, Carvana or Vroom. Here’s a tip: Once you get a VIN and are close to delivery, go to Tesla.com/tradein and check the value again. If it is higher then ask your SA to contact the trade-in team and have the amount manually adjusted.
The kicker is "once you get a VIN"
I did the trade in valuation at the time of ordering a new vehicle (when one would think to trade in their current vehicle.) It could literally be 2 additional months before being assigned a VIN. And no one knows what the used car market will look like in October.

I suspect that many people will be trading in their Teslas, so with an increase in used vehicles poured back into the market, what obligation would Tesla have for honoring a crazy value given in July?
My concern (that I later said didn't happen) was the valuation process. I got an initial valuation before ordering that I accepted after it said it was valid for 7 days. I ordered a couple days later, and applied the accepted offer to my order, but then it went through a valuation process again. That is when I was concerned about the bait-and-switch since the instant trade in valuation that day had decreased. When the valuation finally came in, it was the original one that I accepted. So false alarm there.
@BPeter what are you planning to order & did you already get a VIN assigned?

The kicker is "once you get a VIN"
I did the trade in valuation at the time of ordering a new vehicle (when one would think to trade in their current vehicle.) It could literally be 2 additional months before being assigned a VIN. And no one knows what the used car market will look like in October.

I suspect that many people will be trading in their Teslas, so with an increase in used vehicles poured back into the market, what obligation would Tesla have for honoring a crazy value given in July?

@BPeter what are you planning to order & did you already get a VIN assigned?

I ordered a new S Long Range. No VIN, only ordered a week ago. I'm not expecting to get a car within my trade in validity, but crazy things do sometimes happen.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Tesla just offered me just over $29k for my 2015 P85D with 104k miles. It has a 90kWh battery, not sure if that made a difference at all. The turn around on the valuation was less than 24 hours.

Carvna offered me $20k. I laughed and took the offer from Tesla.
Congrats on the trade-in! We'd laugh at $20k too, yikes!

For people reading this who think Carvana is always super high--here's a great example of them being super LOW!

Usually Tesla is the lowest--but this just goes to show you, it can be really variable!