Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Valuation in Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a dumb question - If I get a trade in value from Tesla today, will that amount still apply when my new car arrives in three months? Do I have to get a new value in three months or turn in my car now?
Been playing this game since January - I'm still waiting on my car.

Every 30 days your offer expires and you will be asked for either new photos or simply the current milage of your trade in.

Might take a few days for them to get back to you, but you'll have a new trade-in value which will again expire in 30 days.

Been playing this game since January, waiting on my car.

Every 30 days your offer expires and you will be asked for either new photos or simply the current milage of your trade in.

Might take a few days for them to get back to you, but you'll have a new trade-in value which will again expire in 30 days.

How does your newest trade-in value compare to when it was first accepted?

How does your newest trade-in value compare to when it was first accepted?

I've got an older car to trade in, so my case might not be representative of what you'll typically see from Tesla.

Can't remember exact number, but I think the trade-in value has decreased $1000 from the initial offer ($3500?). First re-evaluation was the big hit in value, but has held steady since.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
So I have a dumb question - If I get a trade in value from Tesla today, will that amount still apply when my new car arrives in three months? Do I have to get a new value in three months or turn in my car now?

I just spoke with my SA yesterday in regards to some of these same questions. Ordered a Plaid S and the delivery has fluctuated more than California shutting down and opening up during COVID…

Anyways. $11k increase over 2 months with an additional 5k miles on the X. However, I’m not expecting to get this at all. I had to send in pictures again yesterday. I was told that Tesla can’t guarantee today’s values so if the value drops $20k by the time I take delivery in October then that’s what they are going to honor. Sucks because this looks like the PEAK value for my used X. They won’t take my X early and cut me a check either 😂 but I’m still pressing them on this option.

Attachments

• 3EF777A3-E849-44A7-A621-C2E1706EDECF.jpeg
    3EF777A3-E849-44A7-A621-C2E1706EDECF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 148
  • 7817B6E9-7306-4DB7-AD62-958CC7159591.jpeg
    7817B6E9-7306-4DB7-AD62-958CC7159591.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 117
I just spoke with my SA yesterday in regards to some of these same questions. Ordered a Plaid S and the delivery has fluctuated more than California shutting down and opening up during COVID…

Anyways. $11k increase over 2 months with an additional 5k miles on the X. However, I’m not expecting to get this at all. I had to send in pictures again yesterday. I was told that Tesla can’t guarantee today’s values so if the value drops $20k by the time I take delivery in October then that’s what they are going to honor. Sucks because this looks like the PEAK value for my used X. They won’t take my X early and cut me a check either 😂 but I’m still pressing them on this option.

Did you accept the very first trade-in valuation?

I’m trading in my 2020 Model 3 LR for a 2021. Call me nuts if you want to, but I got a great valuation on my trade approx 2 K less than I paid for the car originally, considerably more than Carvana or Vroom, not to mention the convenience of simply dropping the car off and driving back home in my new car, and my trade in valuation has gone up since my original valuation.

Similar question I just asked another owner. Did you accept your initial offer or just kept holding out every 30 days?

Reactions: hcdavis3
I’m trading in my 2020 Model 3 LR for a 2021. Call me nuts if you want to, but I got a great valuation on my trade approx 2 K less than I paid for the car originally, considerably more than Carvana or Vroom, not to mention the convenience of simply dropping the car off and driving back home in my new car, and my trade in valuation has gone up since my original valuation.
I'm in this exact same position and I would be stupid not to take the trade in value given how many miles I've put on the car. For me to trade my car in actually gives me a net credit and my overall cost of ownership is less than what I paid in financing + tax. Only question I have is, are you able to "sell" the car back now before taking delivery?

How is that possible, do they keep updating the offer in your Tesla account?
I checked the trade-in value about a month ago before test driving a 3 and it was something like $40K and a couple hundred.
When I checked last week, it was $43500. If they get up to $50K I might consider it, LOL.

EV-CPO.com is showing four P85Ds available from Tesla at the moment, all but one of them with higher mileage than mine, ranging from $58900 to $66100.
It's a bit nuts right now considering I paid less for my P85DL in April 2019 (thru Tesla) and it had 23K on the odo when I bought it, clean history.

The cheapest of these four has been repaired!
(note to mods: I have left the EV-CPO referral code intact, if this is wrong please remove the links)

Last edited:
My trade in value jumped massively yesterday. At that value I'd actually consider upgrading, but by the time the new car comes it will probably go back down.
You might be right - Tesla might just be boosting their trade-in "offers" at the current time, knowing that 30 days will pass before they actually take your trade and will have a new "offer" at that time.

Might just be a way they're trying to get the old 85s off the road before the warranties expire. I still have two years left on my 8-year/unlimited mileage battery/motor warranty.

You’ve got to be nuts trading into Tesla in this market. Or you must hate/not care about money.
Trading into Tesla seems like a last resort. I submitted a fully loaded Launch Edition Bolt EUV for valuation, and Tesla offered $28.6k. Lol
Autonation offered $35.5k, and a couple others offered $34k. I think I'm just gonna sell privately. Aiming for at least $39k since EUVs seem to more or less be selling for sticker right now.

You might be right - Tesla might just be boosting their trade-in "offers" at the current time, knowing that 30 days will pass before they actually take your trade and will have a new "offer" at that time.

Might just be a way they're trying to get the old 85s off the road before the warranties expire. I still have two years left on my 8-year/unlimited mileage battery/motor warranty.
Why would they want to get them off the road before the warranty expires? Avoid bad press?

Trading into Tesla seems like a last resort. I submitted a fully loaded Launch Edition Bolt EUV for valuation, and Tesla offered $28.6k. Lol
Autonation offered $35.5k, and a couple others offered $34k. I think I'm just gonna sell privately. Aiming for at least $39k since EUVs seem to more or less be selling for sticker right now.
I'm not sure. They offered me 77K for my 2018 P100D with 23,000 miles. Is it worth much more than that? Especially considering tax benefit? A month ago it was 67K.