Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in value update - 4k drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on my situation again: Doesn't look like Tesla will match my Carmax appraisal after all. They said they wont accept a "contingent offer". It looks like on my appraisal offer it has language about being contingent on test driving the vehicle, which they did not do today when I got it appraised due to COVID restrictions.

I called Carmax and asked them about this, and they said that it is just language they are including on their appraisals right now due to covid and the majority of their appraisals being done online (mine was in person). I clarified and said, "So, I can bring this offer to any Carmax right now, and they will accept it and buy the car". They said, "Yes". Doesn't really seem like a contingency in that case in my opinion, but alas they would not remove the wording.

So... I think I'll be just not trading to Tesla, and selling to Carmax directly, after I pick up my Tesla.

Got my updated trade-in from Tesla today, after I requested it. Dropped by $2k for my 2015 4Runner (8% reduction). Checked it against KBB and it’s the low end of the “good” trade in value, which I think is where it was back in March for my original assessment.

It’s not great, but better than I actually thought it would be given what’s happened with used car prices. At least I have a baseline now and can make a decision on whether to trade or sell privately.