Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade out of warranty model x for model y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some wisdom from the community. I have a 2020 model x with nearly 50k miles. Thinking of trading in for a less issue prone Tesla Y. Few things complicating my decision is my X has free lifetime supercharging (which we use 90% to charge) and free premium connectivity, the X is larger (we have 6 seat option) but also not as efficient as the Y. We have 3 years left to pay off the X. A new Y 7 seater with tax credits would put us in the same ball park of cost 48k as we currently owe on the X. Anyone made a similar purchase. Thanks for the advice.

Need some wisdom from the community. I have a 2020 model x with nearly 50k miles. Thinking of trading in for a less issue prone Tesla Y. Few things complicating my decision is my X has free lifetime supercharging (which we use 90% to charge) and free premium connectivity, the X is larger (we have 6 seat option) but also not as efficient as the Y. We have 3 years left to pay off the X. A new Y 7 seater with tax credits would put us in the same ball park of cost 48k as we currently owe on the X. Anyone made a similar purchase. Thanks for the advice.
I would never make that trade...

If you want peace of mind, just buy an extended warranty and keep the X.

Personally IMO, the Model Y should be much more reliable than any X. I considered the Model Y (actually had it on order) when I last traded. But the trade-in value Tesla gave me for my old X was so good ($80k for a 2018 with just shy of 50,000 miles on it). So I just took a new Model X instead. The Model X is a great car, but I would never own one out of warranty.

Reactions: X Fan

If you use free SC 90% of the time...seems like a no brainer. Of course it depends on the location, but I'm saving about $4-5k/year on charging.

What did you choose to do?