Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those dabbling with options for the first time, I commend to you the Options Trading and Advice thread.

I'm pretty new to options myself, and recently stumbled on the site optionsalpha.com. They've got some paid services - the reason I mention them is they've got 10's of hours of basic options education, all of which is free. From my own experience, and the reviews I've found of the site by third parties, we're all in agreement that the free education is outstanding.

Probably 30 hours worth to get through the 3 training tracks - I recommend every bit of it. On the other side of that education, you'll not only be able to understand some of the shorthand being used to talk about options, you'll also be better able to form your own opinions about what to do and when.

I've got a different trading strategy that I've begun implementing than @BenPrice. That's to be expected though - we've got different starting positions, different targets, different ways of seeing the world. I'm looking forward to learning from everybody :)

My 'core' strategy is buy and hold. I've got shares from 2012 and some more from purchases over the years since. I don't trade in and out on those, though I have (as of a week ago) begun selling far OTM calls against them (and I do mean FAR - sold some May 1500 strikes; not much money, but it's a strike that if assigned, I won't exactly be crying in my milk about it).

Beyond that core strategy, I've begun selling puts and calls. The general idea being that option sellers tend to be paid more than options are worth (implied volatility mostly overestimates actual volatility, and that overestimation is an edge for sellers).

My focus isn't making a pile fast - it's more like generating a dividend using cash plus shares I already own. So if I can swing 1-5% per month with far OTM options (very low risk), then that's outstanding (12-60% annual dividend sounds stupidly good to me). And doing so with as little risk as possible.

Current positions:
sold some April 24, 500 strike puts, on 4/14 (about $2 each)
sold some May 1500 strike calls on 4/14 (about $6 each)

Intention with all of those is to hold until expiration or a good exit (75-90% of value), and then sell again.

Last month, I discovered that the early close of the position means I'm likely to get to sell the current month twice. We'll see how that works out this month.

The puts were chosen so I can close them before earnings.
The calls were chosen so far OTM so I can ride through earnings and see what happens after. I think it unlikely we'll get to 1500 by May 15.

Beyond that core strategy, I've begun selling puts and calls. The general idea being that option sellers tend to be paid more than options are worth (implied volatility mostly overestimates actual volatility, and that overestimation is an edge for sellers).
Just remember a sold call has unlimited loss potential. Either make sure it's a covered call or buy another call at a higher strike to cap potential losses.

Not really addressed to you adiggs, you're aware, but for a reader that might not be.

To add on to @ckessel's observation, a sold put is nearly unlimited (stock could go to 0) risk. In my case, I'm selling Cash Secured Puts (100% cash backing them - not using margin) and covered calls (I own 100 shares of stock for each call I sell - 100% covered, no margin).

These are capital intensive strategies and why I talked about them as 'dividend' generating strategies. I'm looking to earn 1-2% / month on capital I have devoted to TSLA, because who doesn't like a fast growing growth stock that provides a 12-24% dividend. (That grossly overstates the risk - learn about options and their risk before playing along at home).

Maybe impulsive, but half position opened. Remainder tomorrow.

Upped to 950 due to strength versus macros/similar tickers.

Woo-wee I smell a jackpot.

35/35.

Attachments

• 4BEADFFB-41D9-404F-BE99-1EDE9B8717E3.jpeg
    4BEADFFB-41D9-404F-BE99-1EDE9B8717E3.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 51
  • CBC91D0A-1811-4BEA-857A-30CB8C3BAB8B.png
    CBC91D0A-1811-4BEA-857A-30CB8C3BAB8B.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
This is/was exactly my thinking. The volatility is crazy in the market right now. I know TSLA will hit 1800, its just a matter of when. I did not think we would be touching $750 a share this soon again, my conundrum is to lock in the profits (200% gain) now or just wait for this to all blow over. The problem with options is the time decay element. Lets say TSLA trades flat in the $700 range for the next 3 months until this blows over, my 200% profit is 50% less.

Thank you for your thoughts Frank.

Only fair that if I ask for advice, I am transparent. I am still holding the call :)

Reactions: juanmedina
TSLA is on it's 10th straight day of a rally. I'm thinking I should close all my calls rather than hold through the weekend. At some point we will be a red day. Macros are blatantly unsustainable but they might hold up through April if the illusion that we're really going to reopen the country for business stays in place until it's obvious we can't.

TSLA is on it's 10th straight day of a rally. I'm thinking I should close all my calls rather than hold through the weekend. At some point we will be a red day. Macros are blatantly unsustainable but they might hold up through April if the illusion that we're really going to reopen the country for business stays in place until it's obvious we can't.
Believe soldier!! I think we have a run left for Monday possibly Tuesday

Entirely agree, however, and not to pursuade:

The stock went from 800 to 400 in ~2 weeks when calamity hit.

Of course red will occur. But at the same time GS, Blackrock, and the rest of the little guys are supporting this rally, not retail.

The market pulls risk forward. Today’s market is not a reflection on today’s economy.

I’m a huge fan of taking profit and do not mean to discourage. But I personally believe we have some fire left until earnings, then we see what results provide.

Profit is good :)

Entirely agree, however, and not to pursuade:

The stock went from 800 to 400 in ~2 weeks when calamity hit.

Of course red will occur. But at the same time GS, Blackrock, and the rest of the little guys are supporting this rally, not retail.

The market pulls risk forward. Today’s market is not a reflection on today’s economy.

I’m a huge fan of taking profit and do not mean to discourage. But I personally believe we have some fire left until earnings, then we see what results provide.

Profit is good :)
Thanks for your reply yesterday Ben in the investors thread. I’m thinking like you right now in terms of what the market will do with Tesla. There could be some bad days mixed in, but it’s all good! Like someone once said “I’d rather be optimistic and wrong than be pessimistic and right” (probably not good investor advice lol)

• Love
Reactions: BenPrice
Thanks for your reply yesterday Ben in the investors thread. I’m thinking like you right now in terms of what the market will do with Tesla. There could be some bad days mixed in, but it’s all good! Like someone once said “I’d rather be optimistic and wrong than be pessimistic and right” (probably not good investor advice lol)

I’ve easily left $5,000,000 on the table since Jan 1, 2020.

But I have cash in hand.

Hindsight is so sexy ;)

But cash is king!

Ben. Like you, I'd like a new Tesla Roadster. Can you help me with that? What's the single best resource about learning about options other than YouTube videos by nitwits in rented Lambos? I'm farrr up on TSLA stock and want to get into options but I know it's not for n00bs.

p.s. I'm Bananarama on Peloton. lol

this book is great for new traders. i have been dabbling in options for 5 years or so..and still consider myself new.
https://www.amazon.ca/Options-Playbook-Featuring-strategies-all-stars-ebook/dp/B00J8KC8NA

It’s my new home thread!

Was used to posting daily actions in the round table. Glad this exists now.

I’m about to open 100k on 5/15s if TSLA acts as I think it will today, If not, wait til tomorrow. (I don’t want it but think red today occurs)

I feel the buy volume today has been exceptional and will protect the share price, and hoping we can build rapidly to earnings.

glad you found it

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I’ve easily left $5,000,000 on the table since Jan 1, 2020.

But I have cash in hand.

Hindsight is so sexy ;)

But cash is king!

in response to many of the recent posts...

i left a lot on in the run from 420 to 980 as well. but also kept plenty of exposure to that run. which is the lesson.

whether it’s 10k, 100k, 100mm, be in the game, bet with your head, not over it

i booked some profits friday. not in tesla but in some other stuff i bought on the pullback (panw and shop).

just beefing up cash for the next pullback. left some exposure in case they run more. for tesla i’m mostly where i want to be, at this time. the cash i raised is anticipated to tsla use, but we’ll see what we’re dealt.

i’ve been mainly focused on leaps for all of the above. as @FrankSG pointed out the benefits of leaps (the duration gives you flexibility). i’m fine with more premium in trade for increased chance to correct any mistakes. obv still a gamble but it’s 2-3x return to stock (or more when you get an epic run)

i posted while back about the stress of dealing with shorter term and the effort in managing those when you have a life, family, job, etc.

when you’re early on in your trading ‘career’ and dealing with smaller amounts of money, trying to get to each next level, i guess it’s worth it. it was for me. but now i’ve transitioned to point where it’s better have a leverage to potential 2-3-4x gains and some time on your side, while still not risking your ass with a single point of data or bad news/market cycle.

2017-2018 was a roller coaster and i had developed too many positions to handle and navigate. i got through it.

then 2019 into 2020, while i built and sold but held onto a few DITM calls for jan and june 2021 that i hope to exercise, i fully plan to do the same with at least 33-50% of my march and june 2022. lower strikes and higher premiums are not your enemy with a stock that went from 180 to 980..and back to 375 to 750

i understand the lottery tix at 1500-1800, whatever. there’s room for that too! just follow the eggs/basket rule and keep cash around, because with this vol, you have higher prob to capitalize. you may not get the max, but you’ll do just fine. tesla vol should be sufficient for at least a couple more years. use it to your adv

I'm thinking that the next pullback for TSLA has arrived, within a larger context of a big pullback in the market.

I closed my 500 strike puts for expiration this Friday at $0.98, after trying to close at $0.17 this morning. If I'd paid market / 0.18, I'd have been out at a much more desirable price.

One of the lessons I've had 3 or 4 object lessons in the last month or two is that when I've decided to get out (or in - but mostly out) of a position, then I can try to get on the good side of the bid/ask spread, but don't sweat pennies. Still closed at a 50% gain in a week or so, but I had a 90% gain (all of this on small money - one of the important decision factors that led me say 'goodbye' to that position).

I'm thinking that the next pullback for TSLA has arrived, within a larger context of a big pullback in the market.

I closed my 500 strike puts for expiration this Friday at $0.98, after trying to close at $0.17 this morning. If I'd paid market / 0.18, I'd have been out at a much more desirable price.

One of the lessons I've had 3 or 4 object lessons in the last month or two is that when I've decided to get out (or in - but mostly out) of a position, then I can try to get on the good side of the bid/ask spread, but don't sweat pennies. Still closed at a 50% gain in a week or so, but I had a 90% gain (all of this on small money - one of the important decision factors that led me say 'goodbye' to that position).

I don't think a major pullback has arrived yet. TSLA was up significantly for 10 days straight - there are going to be a few red days this week and may be even early next week till the earnings call. I have a sold 500 strike put for May 15th expiration, which is trading at a loss, but I plan to hold it till expiration or till price drops to 25% of what I sold it for. If the SP drops below 500 and the put gets assigned, I will buy 100 shares at net price of 488, which I am fine with.

I am however expecting a huge move upwards after earnings report - till then a few down days are fine by me.

I don't think a major pullback has arrived yet. TSLA was up significantly for 10 days straight - there are going to be a few red days this week and may be even early next week till the earnings call. I have a sold 500 strike put for May 15th expiration, which is trading at a loss, but I plan to hold it till expiration or till price drops to 25% of what I sold it for. If the SP drops below 500 and the put gets assigned, I will buy 100 shares at net price of 488, which I am fine with.

I am however expecting a huge move upwards after earnings report - till then a few down days are fine by me.

I may be joining you in that May 500 strike put sale, but I'll wait till after earnings (and undoubtedly get less for the sale than you :)).

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
sold some May 1500 strike calls on 4/14 (about $6 each)

Closed these positions right at $2 each ($1.96 and $2). Nets out at just over 67%. That's 0.6% in 8 days. Though I can't necessarily replicate the speed of these in the future, I think I like the fast resolution of these weekly or very close contracts, even if the amount per contract is small (about $400 profit in this case).

My rationale for this trade being that today is earnings day and now I'm out of all my option positions for earnings today. This is primarily me being really conservative and never having traded options over earnings - I'd prefer to sit this out, and see how the stock responds tomorrow. I expect I'll be selling new options tomorrow or Friday

I'll certainly be paying more attention to earnings, and the market reaction to them, today than I normally do.