Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this, but only if you use market orders and don’t set limit prices. Unless I’m mistaken. Tbh I have no idea what I’m doing. I just sell puts when I see the price and get heartburn. I’m bagholding too many shares and this keeps me occupied lol, a couple hundred bucks a day adds up!
Ha, ha... funny. But curious though, if you think you're holding too many shares, wouldn't the correct course be to sell calls rather than puts? The latter has the potential to assign you more shares, whereas the former can reduce shares.

Ha, ha... funny. But curious though, if you think you're holding too many shares, wouldn't the correct course be to sell calls rather than puts? The latter has the potential to assign you more shares, whereas the former can reduce shares.
My gut says that we won’t cross $200 again so being assigned shares at $225-$235 won’t bother me. I have a major case of FOMO with this stock so selling calls and watching them go up would make me panic buy. This is keeping me a lot happier. I’ll sell some calls when we are over $330 again

My gut says that we won’t cross $200 again so being assigned shares at $225-$235 won’t bother me. I have a major case of FOMO with this stock so selling calls and watching them go up would make me panic buy. This is keeping me a lot happier. I’ll sell some calls when we are over $330 again

My thinking also.

Just got into selling puts.. and its fun. :) Sold $210 october put for $1100 - If I get shares I am happy, if it expires I am happy. Win-Win. Most likely I can do a repeat in october, then I can sell a $220 put for another $1100. And by december I can sell a $230 put.. building my cash pile a grand at a time. (as long as SP stays range bound as it has the past years).

If SP soars - thats also cool as I have my long term stocks put aside safely.

Last edited:
Looks like I should have bought puts Friday!

Oh boy! Here we go again...

Tesla Model S explodes after crash with truck, reportedly on Autopilot - Electrek

As this accident took place in Moscow, I wouldn't be surprised if it is part of some Russian/Putin conspiracy to hurt EVs/Tesla, in order to protect their large oil interests. I know... conspiracy theory and all. But look at US election interference and Brexit. They're no longer content with their social media campaign (FUD having less and less effect) and have gone full 3D.

This doesn’t really have much of an effect to SP anymore, it worked like two years ago. Any dip based on this news is probably artificial and won’t last long
I tend to agree. It would have to be something more major. It turns out it was the driver's fault and that the injuries weren't severe. Macros likely to be the dominant factor this week. SEC and/or other regulatory news also on watch, but unknown. May buy calls if it takes a dip Monday morning.

4 hour chart. Looks like a symmetrical triangle, i.e., a pennant flag, which is a continuation pattern (or bear/bull flag). Since the initial move was a drop from 265 to about 225/230, this would then be a continuation of a downside move, i.e. a bear flag.

To calculate the "measured move": 225 - (265 - 225) = 185. Or 230 - (265 - 230) = 195. (Depends where you draw your lines.) If you look on the weekly chart, you can also see a kind of bear flag.

BUT! It's more an art than a science, and only probabilities. The triangle need not break to the downside. Can break to the upside instead. Basically, you have to watch the chart over the next few days. Will likely break this week (or latest) next week.

In summary, be cautious of a potential (though not guaranteed) downside move.

View attachment 440908

I wonder about the politics of this. Today's sudden announcement of not actually putting tariffs on some items sounds like a climb down by US government. We know POTUS doesn't like that - so, will he tweet something hawkish ?

BTW, I was unaware of the news and by the time Fidelity showed the news it was too late. What is a good website to track news quickly (short of Bloomberg terminal).

I wonder about the politics of this. Today's sudden announcement of not actually putting tariffs on some items sounds like a climb down by US government. We know POTUS doesn't like that - so, will he tweet something hawkish ?

BTW, I was unaware of the news and by the time Fidelity showed the news it was too late. What is a good website to track news quickly (short of Bloomberg terminal).
Nah, president will tweet something dovish then next month he will be hawkish again lol. And CNBC app is usually very quick to break news. I get an alert to my phone as soon as news breaks

So I'm playing the symmetrical triangle pattern that I posted about yesterday, which tops out around the 233-236 area over the next few days (and keeps descending). Right on the edge now.

Therefore I sold 235 calls and bought 240 calls, for approx 3.30 and 1.30 respectively. That's a net credit of 2.0. I did 6 of these contract pairs. This is the first time I'm doing a call spread (or credit spread). Usually I just sell calls (and only rarely). But this way, my risk is contained. No matter how high TSLA goes this week, my max risk per contract pair is about $3 (5 - 2). But if I see a definitive upside break tomorrow, then I'll close this spread out well before my max loss. If I was really bold, I would have just sold the 235 calls. But by also buying the 240 calls, I contain my risk, because you never know with Tesla.

I'm still not sure whether the symmetrical triangle pattern will break to the upside or downside (odds favor a downside break, but not definitively). Anyway, just thought I would give this a shot. Been tempted to do it many times, but never did. If I get burned on this, then I'll just continue to keep it simple by only *buying* puts and calls.