Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you guys know 8 weeks rule? This is the one I learned in 2013 (above mentioned FB episode) when I sold my $300 worth options for $3,000, and failed to keep them until they became $45,000

The 8 Week Hold Rule | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

It would appear TSLA qualifies for this rule now, like FB did in 2013. Just musings, not an advice. I will not leverage, but I will not be selling anything either...

View attachment 477087

So we are in week 4 under this rule?

Reactions: Boomer19
Very interesting article about the 8 week rule, but the charts used in the article contradict the thesis a little bit.

By week 8 after the breakout the price is often the same as after the < 3 week run of 20% so you were holding 5 weeks longer for no extra gains. Only by week 9 and further does the price keep hiking.

So I'd rather make that a 10-12 week hold rule :)

already being long stk and options, sitting on gains...i’m not sure what to do next here?

sometimes the best move is wait, and make no move.

not sure if i should buy a few insurance puts...but for example, jun20 290p are ~21.50 per

that’s about 11k for a handful of them. not cheap

covered calls? i think there’s more room to run so i pause...i don’t want to dump all my shares if it does run and i get called.
looking at jun20, can sell 5 440s for about 20 per, and pocket 10k, leaving about 12-13% past ATH to run, if broken, which may not be enough

what are others strategizing

already being long stk and options, sitting on gains...i’m not sure what to do next here?

sometimes the best move is wait, and make no move.

not sure if i should buy a few insurance puts...but for example, jun20 290p are ~21.50 per

that’s about 11k for a handful of them. not cheap

covered calls? i think there’s more room to run so i pause...i don’t want to dump all my shares if it does run and i get called.
looking at jun20, can sell 5 440s for about 20 per, and pocket 10k, leaving about 12-13% past ATH to run, if broken, which may not be enough

what are others strategizing
holding. I expect drop starting with tomorrow, and yet think break-out is possible too, so, I'm doing nothing.
I do think stock is getting exhausted here, moves up happen on lower and lower volumes on hourly, compared to last few weeks.

It's hard to say in the short term yeah. I'm sitting on a lot of stock (of course), but due to recent run up my long term call options ($400 Jun'21 and Jan'22) have gone up in value a lot and are now 25% of my TSLA money. I was thinking I'd start to convert some of those to stock at the end of this week to limit my downside exposure a bit, but I think I'm going to hold on to them longer for a couple of reasons.

I think downside is somewhat limited at the moment. For SP to drop back into the 200s, I feel like we would need bad macros. I think the chance that it will happen off of just a bad quarter is low. A seasonally weak Q1 in combination with Giga 3 volume production being delayed to Q2'20 could maybe do it.

I also think there's still a lot of upside in the near term. I think a Q4'19 that is similarly good in terms of profits as Q3'19 would likely send us a bit higher from here. Big battery announcements at Battery Investor Day could provide significant upside imo. Giga 3 volume production will significantly boost company fundamentals and almost certainly SP. Start of Model 3 production sent SP up to record highs back in mid-2017, Model Y could do the same. If not start of production, volume production and the increased revenue/profits that MY will bring certainly will.

So yeah, I think I'm also doing nothing for now.

holding. I expect drop starting with tomorrow, and yet think break-out is possible too, so, I'm doing nothing.
I do think stock is getting exhausted here, moves up happen on lower and lower volumes on hourly, compared to last few weeks.
I am too and I think so is everyone, which makes me think that's not what's going to happen. The market often punishes those betting on the obvious. This could be the first event in a while that ends up not selling off, perhaps due to some unexpected positives at the event rather than just the truck itself. Who knows really, but I would be cautious thinking the stock is going to sell off after the event since everyone is expecting that. I'm sure shorts are too. The market would piss off the most people with another big gap and go following this event. Many bulls will have sold expecting a drop, and shorts will be loading up for a drop. Bulls would be pissed to have missed it, and shorts would be scrambling big time. Something to think about anyway. I'm only holding 1 June $350 call still plus a lot of stock, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. What do you guys think? Is the stock going to do the expected and sell on the news?

feels like it doesn’t want to cool off just yet. still some sinking in to do.
but will level off between thanksgiving and xmas and will have some swings taken at it.
longer term would think looks more stable, except election year and global stuff as we progress into 20 and q1 and q2 earnings look to stay positive. chance that it won’t be as rosy as we think right now.

Yikes! I think this was clearly the worst reveal in Tesla history. That's one ugly vehicle IMO. We'll soon see how strong the stock is. I would guess we see a retracement of at least 23.6% and probably more. BTD but not right away. This will likely need several red days to recover.
I thought it was cool. If I had where to park it, I'd probably get it. As a family car, instead of S. And I've never considered truck or SUV :)

Main value of this truck may be as a hallo vehicle, whether it sells in great quantity or not. Imagine this in a parking lot and people learning Tesla name for the first time...

Last edited:
I thought it was cool. ...
Main value of this truck may be as a hallo vehicle, whether it sells in great quantity or not. Imagine this in a parking lot and people learning Tesla name for the first time...
That's the problem. The main value was supposed to succeed in the market of core truck buyers, take up market shares, and bring in large revenue and profits. The share price ought to go lower as now even the imagination of such a business is taken away.
There is hope though, as a few small changes in the design might make cybertruck appealing to core truck buyers.