Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trewendy

Hawaii Kai Tesla
May 4, 2019
HAWAII
When using Traffic-Aware Cruise Control how close does your car get to the car in front in stop and go traffic when both cars come to a complete stop? My car is at least 1 1/2 to 2 cars lengths back no matter what i set for the follow distance (1-7). Does anyone else’s leave this much room at a complete stop?

Mine is about one car length away. Don’t think that this is adjustable, but can’t say for sure. What really gets me is that when the car in front turns left or right and I have TACC or auto steer active, my car drives like a new driver behind the wheel by hesitating and braking until well after the car in front has made the turn.

I think the Traffic-Aware Cruise Control leaves too much space, so I just nudge forward a bit to create a more normal spacing. I is also a bit slow in starting off when the car in front moves away, I use the accelerator to increase speed to a more "normal" rate. As soon as my car is at the same speed as the car I am following, I release the accelerator and the cruise resumes it normal operation.

In my view the cruise is a not as aggressive as normal drivers (that means me) would be, so I have augment the car sometimes.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Would you guys consider Autopilot (TACC) a must? I can’t decide whether to get it or not. Morning commute is about 30 miles in heavy traffic but reading all these stories of it keeping gaps too far and starting too slow, all other cars will starting merging in front of me

Would you guys consider Autopilot (TACC) a must? I can’t decide whether to get it or not. Morning commute is about 30 miles in heavy traffic but reading all these stories of it keeping gaps too far and starting too slow, all other cars will starting merging in front of me
You can relax in heavy traffic. Yes there is space for cut-ins, as AP keep enough space for it, if that is the concern, turn off AP. But there are plenty of times you will enjoy it, specially in heavy traffic.

Reactions: C141medic
Are you considering an SR? Is no-TACC a choice now? I thought that it was standard.

Anyway, it is nice, especially in stop and go traffic. So, if TACC is an option I would go for it. I would consider TACC a safety feature. AP is another matter. The lane-keep function is nice, but on curved segments it has disengaged on me; you have to be vigilant, or you will find yourself headed for the shoulder or worse. I also don’t love the hesitant nature of the auto steer when lanes merge or otherwise transition.

Regarding the gaps in heavy traffic: I mostly like the way TACC handles it. Let other folks in. Braking is maybe more aggressive than I would like, but if I get distracted the car will “know” what it do when someone cuts in. I have had enough close calls in my trusty 135i that it’s time to recognize that I make errors. :-(

Last edited: