Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic rendering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my 2021 M3/LR, the left side of the screen shows the rendering of cars in adjacent lanes moving in the same direction as me. However, oncoming cars in the adjacent lane are not shown, even with my new FSD subscription. Is this normal?

In my 2021 M3/LR, the left side of the screen shows the rendering of cars in adjacent lanes moving in the same direction as me. However, oncoming cars in the adjacent lane are not shown, even with my new FSD subscription. Is this normal?
You will see SOME cars approaching, but it's spotty and not very useful or reliable. FSD wont add more robust approaching cars until the new beta stack goes mainstream, and no-one has a clue on that timeline.

Per the manual the current FSD/autosteer system is only intended for use on limited access divided highways where there isn't any oncoming traffic.

It'll let you activate it elsewhere, but the code that's actually intended to be used in such situations isn't widely released yet.

Is there a way to disable, hid or cover that real-time traffic view? I have found it very distracting on the test drives that I have taken. My preference is to watch for traffic in the real world, not on a computer screen.

I have noted in one review that it does not show up in track mode, displaying instead battery monitoring. However, driving around in track mode all of the time is probably not practical.

Is there a way to disable, hid or cover that real-time traffic view? I have found it very distracting on the test drives that I have taken. My preference is to watch for traffic in the real world, not on a computer screen.

I have noted in one review that it does not show up in track mode, displaying instead battery monitoring. However, driving around in track mode all of the time is probably not practical.
You’ll get used to not looking at it. Because it’s completely useless.

It WILL see traffic cones and trash cans galore though! A strange priority by Tesla engineers I think….
I think that's a priority because they're obstacles on the road and it's simply displaying what the camera sees. Stands out pretty, well I can see how it may benefit some drivers to see on the screen.

On another note regarding the OP's question, if the screen displayed cars passing in adjacent lanes that would absolutely drive me crazy constantly seeing them flash by 😝.

It WILL see traffic cones and trash cans galore though! A strange priority by Tesla engineers I think….
Two cars coming from opposite directions at say 50 mph, are closing in at 150 feet per second. So say give the computer 1 sec to process and recognize, half a sec to take whatever corrective maneuver it would glean from knowing it's an obstacle, it would have to start trying to comprehend the car from the few tiny pixels starting at 225 feet away (3/4 of a football field). Now multiply this by dozens new cars per second in oncoming lanes vs the 5-10 relatively stationary cars moving with you in the same directions....

Aside from a more general recognition that the oncoming blips are an opposing lane of traffic and making sure to not move into it, why prioritize recognizing and visualizing each and every car in opposing traffic, when they are going to disappear almost immediately, and even before that run out of time to take any useful corrective action? Stationary vehicles, like emergency vehicles and broken down cars in the right lane, are already hard enough with the values being just half of the figures above...

After a week or so it wont distract you .. like anything, as your brain gets used to it, it will not keep going "ooh .. shiny!"

Two cars coming from opposite directions at say 50 mph, are closing in at 150 feet per second. So say give the computer 1 sec to process and recognize, half a sec to take whatever corrective maneuver it would glean from knowing it's an obstacle, it would have to start trying to comprehend the car from the few tiny pixels starting at 225 feet away (3/4 of a football field). Now multiply this by dozens new cars per second in oncoming lanes vs the 5-10 relatively stationary cars moving with you in the same directions....

Aside from a more general recognition that the oncoming blips are an opposing lane of traffic and making sure to not move into it, why prioritize recognizing and visualizing each and every car in opposing traffic, when they are going to disappear almost immediately, and even before that run out of time to take any useful corrective action? Stationary vehicles, like emergency vehicles and broken down cars in the right lane, are already hard enough with the values being just half of the figures above...
Perhaps you should go watch some of the FSD beta videos...

I had the same question... My 2019 M3 screen showed traffic in the oncoming lanes... it was very comforting knowing it 'saw' it.
My 2022 Model Y I just got is not showing the traffic in the oncoming lanes... I thought the cameras may not be working, but it shows the left lane when on a multi-lane hwy... and L turn lanes as they show up
I would think seeing oncoming traffic would be 'kinda important' when making Left hand turns, so I really wish it would show them.

Unless you're in the limited FSD Beta program the system is not designed or intended to be used for making turns or dealing with oncoming or cross traffic of any kind.

(and if you are- it shows all that stuff on the screen)

This video is autosteer on my 2022 MY. (2022.12.3.3)
My 2019 M3 used to show oncoming traffic lanes.
I paid for FSD, it hasn't activated yet - I suppose I have to prove myself to it for a bit - but I do have the Preview box checked