Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Brake Controller - factory installed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
also, I should have just googled in the first place:

How Does a Brake Controller Know when a Trailer is Connected

When a trailer with electric brakes is connected to a vehicle that has a brake controller that brake controller is sensing the draw of the brake magnets by sending back a small amount of voltage on the blue wire.

i was curious how it actually works so I asked him again and he said "capacitance". then he signed off ;)

re: adjusting around town. did you set your brake output level? once i've done that, I never touch it. it's something like drive 15mph and fully engage the trailer brakes. if they lock up, reduce the output. rinse and repeat until they don't lock up. of course, this is different per trailer.

I don't recall the OEM controller have a delay setting, just max output
Currently have a Curt triflex controller, it has adjustments for Output and sensitivity. Output I rarely touch. sensitivity is a slider on the side, it adjusts how abruptly the trailer brakes add power, in the situations like I mentioned above a back of the sensitivity. Before this controller I had a Tekonsha, and before that a Redarc in my G500. All 3 controllers functioned similarly.