Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Hitch Confusion (Chapter N, where N >> 1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
Why is this (the European/Norwegian ball hitch for the Model X and a standard part from Bosal) (Thanks to Bjorn Nyland):

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 7.00.26 PM.jpg

compatible with these tow hitch rules for the US Model X:

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 7.17.23 PM.jpg

The European ball hitch clearly violates the 3/4" ball offset rule in the US manual. Did Tesla put a different Bosal hitch on the European Model X? I suspect not, but I don't know for certain.

I'd love to see the towing section of the Norwegian Model X owners manual. Maybe by comparing that with the US manual, we can get more understanding of the US limits & their assumptions.

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
Why is this (the European/Norwegian ball hitch for the Model X and a standard part from Bosal) (Thanks to Bjorn Nyland):

View attachment 297068

compatible with these tow hitch rules for the US Model X:

View attachment 297069

The European ball hitch clearly violates the 3/4" ball offset rule in the US manual. Did Tesla put a different Bosal hitch on the European Model X? I suspect not, but I don't know for certain.

I'd love to see the towing section of the Norwegian Model X owners manual. Maybe by comparing that with the US manual, we can get more understanding of the US limits & their assumptions.

Need measurements to be 100% sure...

Distance from the insert to the flat part of the US hitch reciever.
Add 0.75" Rise
Add in the height of a ball height (typically 2.5" - 3")

So all in all there's probably a tolerance of just under 4" from the flat portion. I have no idea how big those hands are, but that distance is believable. The other question is - have the weight limits been adjusted for the EU hitch? If there is a height difference, it might be compensated for in this manner