Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transitioning home heating from carbon fuel burning to electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 80338

1 therm = ~29kWh

@18F you're looking at a COP of ~1.25... so your heat pump would consume ~2320kWh providing 100 therms of heat.

Thanks for the graph, is that from a specific product? Could other air source heat pumps be more efficient? 2,320 would run me about $325, a lot more than the gas costs if I remember... just recycled my bill. I do have a gas furnace, so this would be a retrofit, and the gas could be a back-up or for extreme cold.

My furnace is 88% efficient, could I expect higher efficiency from an air source heat pump?

All of this makes me wonder about in a new construction home, possibly with a few Powerwalls, and an air source heat pump (and no AC and no furnace), people in my market could get on time of use billing and Windsource and be totally/near carbon free. It would be about 5 cents/kwh for off-peak wind power.

What heatpump is that for because that is TERRIBLE performance!?

NREL has a report from 2011 on the 12kBTU Fujitsu and Mitsubishi mini splits, with a COP in heating mode of just below 2 at -5F
12rls2 COP.PNG

Full report here (pdf warning):

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy11osti/52175.pdf

Figures were from 2011, both manufacturers have improved performance since then. My Mitsu's were SEER 30 and I think the HSPF was 12.8, or maybe 13.

So with a COP of ~2.5 @ 18F, you'd need 1160kWh to get 100 therms, vs. 2320 with nwdiver's.

My furnace is 88% efficient, could I expect higher efficiency from an air source heat pump?
Apples and oranges. Furnaces make heat. Heat pumps move it. By an energy in/energy out measure, they're all > 100% efficient. A COP of 2.5 means it is 250% efficient at that particular temperature. You put 1kWh of energy in, and get 2.5kWh of energy out. (and the outside air loses the difference, it is COLD standing in front of one of them in the winter!)

Last edited:
we did this last summer. we should be zero net energy this year. our gas furnace was shot and we needed to have our roof done. the roofer offered to remove the chimney so I went for it, junked the furnace and the two fire place! I did a lot of research. geo-exchange/geothermal is hardly competitive with the latest super efficient air sourced heat pumps. Mitsubishi has the best, from what I can tell. we opted for a 3 ton Pumi unit. the latest ones can go sub zero without the need for supplemental heat. we left our ducting in place and added an air handler rather than adding a bunch of head units, basically one would have been needed for every zone in our house and our house is long and narrow, so not cost effective. the air handler went where our old furnace was and transfers the energy back and forth using a blower fan to circulate the air in our home. it's quiet, super energy efficient and runs on pure electricity which is net solar for us. it's got a rather different feel than our gas furnace blower, it's more gentle and can hardly be heard, it's kind of on at a low idle most of the time. we also opted to add on an electrostatic air purification system with ultra violet, mechanical and activated carbon filtration... the air quality in our home is so much better now! If you are going with old ducting, I highly recommend getting some industrial quality mastic and sealing up the ducts in the crawl spaces. our 60 year old system had come completely disconnected in spots!

As for insulation, the best way to do it for old houses is to have someone come in and do blow in insulation. there are zero or low VOC versions that work great. I have gotten handy at cutting slabs of poli iso insulation on a table saw to go in between the studs and am going through the pains taking process of using cans of blow in insulation to seal the edges. I don't know how far I will get with this, but I figure I'd at least do the basement where getting to the stud spaces on the exterior walls is easy.

If you're going to switch to an electrically resistive heating unit, you might as well invest in some older Bitcoin/Altcoin gear. You can earn some money mining cryptocurrency while heating your house.

There are a few institutions that utilize heat generated from High Performance Computing to warm sidewalks and office spaces.

We've had electric radiant heat for about 20 years now...yes it's not very efficient, but there's something about the the floor being warm and air not dry that makes it worth it. Electric radiant is the only other demand that comes close to charging an EV in residental. AC is close, but electric radiant is easily double or triple that. Anyway, if you have the roof space to get lots of solar panels, it might be worth it.

I'll chime in. I built a new house in 2008 with oil fired boiler in-floor warm water heating. The oil boiler is now gone. Instead, I have solar hot water panels for my hot water at ZERO cost per year (was heated by the oil boiler before), a solar air heater at an electricity for fan cost of $15 a year--good for spring and fall and half my winter heating, and finally a variable speed high SEER rating (26) air source heat pump for both heating and AC. Heat pump heating season electricity at 15+ cents kwh is about $600 versus over $2000 for oil. Of course, good insulation, good windows, wider roof rafters (ie, overhang in summer when sun is high keeps sun out of house, while in winter when sun is low in sky it stream in. I could run everything in house with a 6.5 kw solar PV system.

a solar air heater at an electricity for fan cost of $15 a year--good for spring and fall and half my winter heating
Did you build your own solar air heater or go with a commercial off-the-shelf product? I'm wondering because our high elevation environment seems potentially ideal for solar air heating as a retrofit approach, as we have cool air temperatures combined with intense solar radiation. I'm impressed that this approach works so well for you on PEI.

So I decided to buy a high efficiency wood burning stove, since in up here in WA there are copious amounts of free wood to be had in an urban setting, and from my own tree removal I was sitting on 6 cords of it. It's renewable and very low carbon. I was quite pleased that I didn't need to use any of the natural gas at all once I started burning. But I want to get rid of the natural gas for an electric that I can use when I'm out of town, since I have to pay $10 a month for a gas connection fee whether I use it or not.