Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transport Evolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if the nearest charger is out of your way, and you aren't trying to go home? Is it better to be towed 15 minutes out of your way and then charge up for 20 minutes and then drive another 15 minutes to get back to where you were, or just get charged up for 20 minutes where you are? They could even combine the two, get towed on your current route while being charged. Frankly if you run out of charge you probably don't even need a full charge, so this truck could probably get you on your way in 5-10 minutes. Much like instead of being towed a few gallons of gas could get you moving again in an ICE.

I'll agree with that, but when you consider how many gas stations there are, and how long the range of an ICE vehicle is, people still run out of gas, and we still have tow trucks. I do think the logical thing would be to have gensets or fast dump charge packs on tow trucks, so you have a dual purpose vehicle.

The Roadster has a far better "fuel" gauge than any ICE car in existence. You know to a high degree of accuracy when you're going to run out of electrons. You can also slow down to increase range. Sure people have done it, but (no offense) if you run out of charge you're doing a real "stupid" moment. (Okay, sure, we're all idiots occasionally.)

Metering may be a big shortcoming of the Leaf, but surely they will fix that in time.

I anticipate that there will be few of these machines relative to the area covered; they'll be expensive and a bit under used so, if I run out of 'leccy I'd prefer to be towed to the nearest charger or, to home, by a truck that'll be with me in minutes rather than wait for the special 'gas can' truck then, sit at the side of the highway whilst I charge up.
The one time I ran out of gas (due to a broken fuel gauge that said I still had half a tank), I asked AAA to tow me to garage since this car I was borrowing from my roommate was a clunker and I wasn't sure of the problem. They refused to do that when they figured I was out of gas. They gave me just enough gas to get the nearest gas station. I was nervous it would break down again, but they were really reluctant to tow if they didn't have to. I suppose there's always a chance of damage when towing.

Maybe these guys would give you just enough charge to get to a charging station.

Had a sticking gas gauge problem on my High School Fiat 850 (w/124 engine conversion). While on the freeway I could make the gauge "reset" to the actual reading by violently rocking the car back and forth by whipping the steering wheel left and right (careful not to leave my lane). Probably loosening a stuck float.
Got pulled over doing that stunt once. The officer was sympathetic enough to left me go.

Transport Evolved 55 - Tin Foil Price Drops

Join Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield from AllCarsElectric.com and Michael Thwaite from TeslaMotorsClub with guest Chelsea Sexton as they discuss the week’s news in the world of plug-in vehicles, including Nissan Leaf Security Concerns, The Volt’s Price drop, Mitrubishi’s rumored smaller-range i and much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
My suggestion for the young man who wants an EV but can't afford one is to join http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/ and see if he can build something that meets his needs. I wanted an EV when none were available to me so I built my own, and I certainly learned a lot more about EV's than most people who just go into a dealer and buy one. People all over the world are doing the same thing.

The Roadster has a far better "fuel" gauge than any ICE car in existence. You know to a high degree of accuracy when you're going to run out of electrons. You can also slow down to increase range. Sure people have done it, but (no offense) if you run out of charge you're doing a real "stupid" moment.

Of all the comments, everyone wants to talk about the portable charger truck and only one person sees the trees for the forest. **All you gotta do is SLOW DOWN** and viola, you got twice the charge. You have a mileage gauge on the dash, it says 15 miles left (you never look at the gauge??) and all of a sudden you notice that you have further to go than you have range, and the FIRST thought that should trickle down through the grey matter is *slow down*. It works with ICE cars, too. There is NO reason you have to keep up with traffic if you have got yourself into this mess.

In a gas car, with a gauge that might or might not be accurate to 20 miles, it was always a guess, and there might have been reason, but not in an EV.
The alternative to this scenario is to don't go somewhere if you know you're going to be cutting it close.

Another difference, at least with the EV's I have known, is that the car doesn't die by the road, but just slows down. Does Tesla just up and quit at 0% charge? Or does it beep and complain. I don't know about you, but that charge truck would be a huge loss to its owners.

**All you gotta do is SLOW DOWN**

That's my 'reserve tank'. We once got caught short in the early days, blasting along the highway in the MINI, miles falling fast saw, we had 11 miles worth of electrons in the tank with 13 miles of road ahead. We peeled off at the next intersection and took the scenic way home; arrived a few mins later than the highway route (maybe) with 15 miles left on the gauge; yes, that much of a difference.

Of all the comments, everyone wants to talk about the portable charger truck and only one person sees the trees for the forest. **All you gotta do is SLOW DOWN** and viola, you got twice the charge........ I don't know about you, but that charge truck would be a huge loss to its owners.
What you say is quite logical. Apparently you haven't had much interaction with actual human beings. :wink: It also depends on the EV, LEAF owners were being stranded because
A. Nissan didn't provide a numerical SOC gauge
B. The range estimating software wasn't accurate
and
C. The LEAF would only slow down and go into "turtle" mode with maybe less than a mile left of range.
Hopefully they have or will address those issues.

Personally I would find the existence of chargers on tow trucks assuring, even if I'd never use it. I suppose eventually it could be mounted on a small pick-up truck or be part of a conventional tow truck. EVs are new technologies and all kinds of things can still go wrong, such as chargers (including the home charger) stopping to work when you rely on them. We don't have to pretend that everything and everyone is perfect.

Transport Evolved 56 - M’n'M’s Steering Woes

Join Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield from AllCarsElectric.com and Michael Thwaite from TeslaMotorsClub with guest Mike Boxwell as they discuss the week’s news in the world of green vehicles, including Think Global going into administration, a Liberty E-Range test drive, BYD’s stock woes and much more.

Transport Evolved 57 - EVangelist's Tour

Join Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield from AllCarsElectric.com and Michael Thwaite from TeslaMotorsClub with guest Jerry “EV” Asher as they discuss the week’s news in the world of electric vehicles, including the pricing of the Renault Fluence ZE, Pike’s Peak Speed Records, and much more.

Transport Evolved 58 - Frendetic

Join Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield from AllCarsElectric.com and Michael Thwaite from TeslaMotorsClub with guests Gavin Shoebridge and Kevin Sharpe as they discuss the week’s news in the world of electric and green cars, including Renault’s latest concept car, the failed Nissan Leaf world record attempt, DIY charging equipment and much more

Transport Evolved 59 - Rude words backwards

Join Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield from AllCarsElectric.com and Michael Thwaite from TeslaMotorsClub with guest Guest Paul Scottfrom Plugin America as they discuss the week’s news in the world of green cars, including more money worries from Aptera, driving Pike’s Peak in a 2011 Nissan Leaf and much more.