Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transport Evolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I meant that I'm surprised that any of the outlets are writing up GM's press release as if it were news, not the comments here. But thanks for the consistent response...

What you referred to was the statement that the Volt can consume more gas than a Prius, on long trips. I'm not sure Autoblog treated the press release as news, to me it is more an illustration of a "How did you spend your summer vacation?" use case.

More funny sentences:

And as soon as it charges... you can also fill up the tank with gas. It doesn't really use the gas. It uses it for a good reason. And that's to charge up the battery, to keep on using the battery. So ... It's not using the gas for a bad reason, to drive it, it's using it to charge up a battery. So ... I find that really good because it is using everything from the Chevy Volt.

Exactly, the point is to keep on using the battery. Chevy's education department at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Transport Evolved 70 - Model S Launch
http://c395588.r88.cf2.rackcdn.com/TransportEvolvedEpisode70TeslaModelS.mp3
This one's all about the 'S launch. Recorded after the event, it's audio only.

Drive up to the factory and get your custom Model S 4 hours from ordering to it coming off the production line? I think I heard 4 days to produce, and nothing of having them start to make one right after you put in an order...

Tesla Model S plug vs J1772 - MPTs comment about having a J1772 in his garage... If you have multiple EVs, not all Teslas - yeah it would be nice to have a standard plug so you can charge any of them from the same EVSE. Well, I guess in that case you should just forgo the Tesla HPC, and get a generic J1772 EVSE and then use the adapter module when you charge the S in that garage.
If you get a Tesla HPC, some will want a Tesla new plug to J1772 adapter to charge a Volt/Leaf/etc. No idea if Tesla plans to offer such a thing. They didn't ever offer a Roadster HPC to J1772 did they? Basic concept: adapters to let Tesla cars charge from other brands of EVSEs, but Tesla EVSEs are for Tesla cars only...

Some thoughts on episode 72, which was never posted here:
Yes some people will wait for improvements but early adopters are buying EV's as fast as they are made so it's obviously not affecting sales.
The Nissan "fast charging" news was not about charger modifications allowing existing batteries to charge faster, it was about improvements in capacitors that would eventually replace batteries. Nikki, and many news outlets, got it all wrong.
I'll disagree with trying to make all level 2 chargers fully capable. It adds expense and may deter businesses from installing anything, and a bunch of 240V 80amp chargers in use at the same time in some areas could actually put a strain on the local grid. I'd rather see two 40 amp circuits to charge two EV's than a single 80 amp circuit.
Finally, Nikki is still over talking and interrupting too much, often with completely irrelevant and off topic asides that derail the conversation, leaving guests confused. The shows would be shorter and more interesting if she could restrain herself somewhat.

The funny thing was, on Ep 73 Nikki got just about every detail of the POLAR network wrong. I also liked when Kevin saw his chance to get a word in and went for it.

Yeah, all those details of the growing EV world, lately. Also probably not very interested anymore since Level 2 network providers seem to be popping up like mushrooms in the UK. Glad she mentioned Leaf drivers came to the point that they need fast-charging, not more Level 2. She's finding the way back in spite of the bold non-sequiturs.

Transport Evolved 73 - Worse Than A Gas-Guzzling SUV

Join Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield, Michael Thwaite and guest Kevin Sharpe as they discuss the week's news in the world of electric and green cars, including the abysmal 52 mpge rating of the 2011 Karma Fisker Plug-in Hybrid, a new charging network for electric cars, and much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
The post-Episode-74 twittering was kind of funny. Once more, the pros and cons of having an opinion are discussed. ;)

At least, evchels figured out that Elon enjoys talking about plans that most industry experts will consider unrealistic, at least as much as she enjoys impersonating a GM-EV salesperson.