Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling in Snow and Extremely Cold Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still on the fence between S and X.

Just watched a video blog of a family in an X traveling through so very cold weather. There were some issues with the windshield fogging and it was mentioned about Snow building up on the hood without an engine producing heat to melt it.

Since I'm still on the fence, is this an issue with one more than the other ? Or maybe, not an issue at all ?

(MODS..... I would like to post this in both forums to make sure I reach both. Hope that's ok!)

We just took a road trip through Wyoming in the X last month, in very cold temps and heavy snow. Car did great. Only issue was foging of the windshield, which the car can easily handle when set to do so. The issue is that when you leave the heavy defrost on for an extended period, the cabin gets a bit too warm as it forces the fans to their highest. So we wound up toggling defrost or defog on and off periodically.

Reactions: spectrum
I'm still on the fence between S and X.

Just watched a video blog of a family in an X traveling through so very cold weather. There were some issues with the windshield fogging and it was mentioned about Snow building up on the hood without an engine producing heat to melt it.

Since I'm still on the fence, is this an issue with one more than the other ? Or maybe, not an issue at all ?

(MODS..... I would like to post this in both forums to make sure I reach both. Hope that's ok!)

Every response is going to be different. So here's the musings of someone who has driven in the snow in a variety of cars. My experience covers mostly driving in fresh snow and icey slush on local, highway, and mountain roads. My vehicle experience includes manual and automatic transmission Subaru AWD, Audi automatic Quattro systems, as well as various Volvo and Mitsubishi systems.

First things first, the tires. The OEM continentals are ok in the snow; but they're not great. I do highly recommend a different set of all seasons or a dedicated set of snows. Many will drive on these, and they work. Just not as well as I would like. The OEM 22" Pirelli's are unacceptable to me in the snow. Again, some will ride on them and swear they're fine. They're just not good enough for me; but I generally use dedicated winter tires.

Traction.
The forward traction on both the Tesla MX and MS is phenomenal - can't speak to the M3 as I don't own one. The get up and go is far better than ANY other system I've driven.
The braking and sideways traction is unfortunately not as good. However, this has to due to two factors - first the vehicle dynamics control isn't as advanced as some other systems. They're not bad, but they're not there yet. I can actively tell it's been fine tuned over the 4+ years of Tesla ownership and it's getting better - something other systems don't do. It doesn't help that the systems have to control the heavy mass and momentum of the vehicle. Note - Not as good does not mean bad. It means that it's not optimal and can be improved upon.

Aside from that, the two things you listed are minor. I've driven in heavy snow with a car that has the subzero package. If you leave everything off, yes you'll have a problem with visibility. If you don't use your climate control the right way, yes you can fog up your windows. Use Hi heat on your windshield when it's iced over, and yes it can crack - it did this on my Toyota Sienna AWD as well. Use it right, windwhiseld wiper heaters on. Climate control settings on a normal temp (I use 70) set to blue/cold defrost and it'll be easy cruising without any visbility issues.

Now, one thing to keep in mind is not every car came with Subzero. This will be more of a challenge. I owned an AP1 w/o one and without the windshield defrosters, I got quite a bit of ice buildup. The same type of rules apply, in this case I had to alternate my use of the defroster. I needed it hot enough to melt the windshield wipers and deal with temporary fog up; then switch it to cold to defog. It was a pain in the butt. But frankly, it's not different than any other car. I'm sure Tesla may one day decide to introduce a snow mode that does these settings for us....or not. Who knows; but it'd be a nice suprirse if they did.

To me the real question is range. The S has more of it, given equivalent pack sizes, and cold weather and the need for cabin heat really impact range - much moreso then AC in the summer. I laugh at the people giving advice like "use blankets and seat heaters" instead of cabin heat; seat heaters don't keep your windows clear. If you're considering an S 70 or 85 compared to an X 90 then you're probably in the right ballpark, but an X is always going to have less range. I would always tell people to get the most range they can afford, doubly true for winter driving if you ask me.

Every response is going to be different. So here's the musings of someone who has driven in the snow in a variety of cars. My experience covers mostly driving in fresh snow and icey slush on local, highway, and mountain roads. My vehicle experience includes manual and automatic transmission Subaru AWD, Audi automatic Quattro systems, as well as various Volvo and Mitsubishi systems.

First things first, the tires. The OEM continentals are ok in the snow; but they're not great. I do highly recommend a different set of all seasons or a dedicated set of snows. Many will drive on these, and they work. Just not as well as I would like. The OEM 22" Pirelli's are unacceptable to me in the snow. Again, some will ride on them and swear they're fine. They're just not good enough for me; but I generally use dedicated winter tires.

Traction.
The forward traction on both the Tesla MX and MS is phenomenal - can't speak to the M3 as I don't own one. The get up and go is far better than ANY other system I've driven.
The braking and sideways traction is unfortunately not as good. However, this has to due to two factors - first the vehicle dynamics control isn't as advanced as some other systems. They're not bad, but they're not there yet. I can actively tell it's been fine tuned over the 4+ years of Tesla ownership and it's getting better - something other systems don't do. It doesn't help that the systems have to control the heavy mass and momentum of the vehicle. Note - Not as good does not mean bad. It means that it's not optimal and can be improved upon.

Aside from that, the two things you listed are minor. I've driven in heavy snow with a car that has the subzero package. If you leave everything off, yes you'll have a problem with visibility. If you don't use your climate control the right way, yes you can fog up your windows. Use Hi heat on your windshield when it's iced over, and yes it can crack - it did this on my Toyota Sienna AWD as well. Use it right, windwhiseld wiper heaters on. Climate control settings on a normal temp (I use 70) set to blue/cold defrost and it'll be easy cruising without any visbility issues.

Now, one thing to keep in mind is not every car came with Subzero. This will be more of a challenge. I owned an AP1 w/o one and without the windshield defrosters, I got quite a bit of ice buildup. The same type of rules apply, in this case I had to alternate my use of the defroster. I needed it hot enough to melt the windshield wipers and deal with temporary fog up; then switch it to cold to defog. It was a pain in the butt. But frankly, it's not different than any other car. I'm sure Tesla may one day decide to introduce a snow mode that does these settings for us....or not. Who knows; but it'd be a nice suprirse if they did.
Does Tesla cover the windshield crack under warranty?

They are both phenomenal in the snow and ice. Common sense applies when driving, just like with any other car. Don’t use summer tires and you’ll be good. I drive a Model X with Michelin Summer tires (22) and I’m fine in the ice and snow too. You just have to be smart about how you drive in such weather.

No, and I actually agree with it. The windshield cracked would be caused by user error.

Depends on why it cracked. Model 3 gets stress cracks a lot and have been fixed under warranty.
If your windshield cracked because of high defroster on any car it's a manufacturing defect.

I got the Model X because of towing requirements. If not for that I would have got the Model S in a heart beat.
Model S is cheaper, faster, longer range and does not have FWD to break.

Absolutely get snow tires and I highly recommend the Tesla Snow package.

I don't agree with the comments of weak sideways traction or braking.
The Model X (and I assume S) is a beast with Tesla Snow tires. I've had Jeep Grand Cherokees with Nokian's and Audi Quatro's.
The Model X is the best I've had in snow. Model 3 AWD with snow tires, not nearly as good.

As far as HVAC with snow or fogging, it's very powerful and more than adequate, but EV's are different at managing the HVAC.
Heated wiper blades are nice.

Note that 6/7 seater Model X does have a larger AC Compressor and a 2nd rear zone.

I will say all Tesla's need a little more TLC if they get iced up compared to something like a Jeep. In the Jeep you could carve a hole in the windshield, get in and drive (not that you should, you could). Yes, you can preheat and sometimes you have no choice. And you need to WAIT. If you force things to fast bad things can happen. Highly recommend a garage if you live where it snows. It's just less hassle if you have a garage. I really don't think I'd want to own a Tesla without a garage, that's just me. I had a Model 3 last winter and a Model X this winter. The issues have nothing to do with EV. But just not very winter hardened door, window and charge port designs. Folks will say ICE have the same issues. They do, but for every 1 time it's a hassle on a ICE, it's a 10 times more often with a Tesla and more severe. Heat and time can solve it. But heat is what is extra expensive on an EV. The Tesla's make up for it in so many other ways so don't let that discourage anyone. It's just an unnecessary frustration with Tesla's in some climates.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd