TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tricking the Model X into Turning on its Trailer Light Circuit

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jackbowers, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jackbowers

jackbowers Jack Bowers

Trailer Mode alone does not always work; the Model X won't activate its trailer light circuit unless it sees enough current draw on certain circuits - which doesn't happen with some trailers such as the Airstream Bambi and the Bowlus Road Chief, both of which have Prodigy brake controllers and LED taillights. An easy fix is to draw at least 10 milliamps on all six trailer circuits, which can be done either by purchasing an LED tester and wiring it in parallel with the brake controller's connector head, or by somehow putting 1200 ohm resistors across all six trailer circuits, which draws less than a Watt of power.

• Informative x 2
  2. jackbowers

jackbowers Jack Bowers

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Jack, thanks for the update. So you started this thread last October: how did you solve the problem you described?

4. hill

hill Member

are you buying - or do you intend to purchase the part off Amazon? if so please let us know how well it works.

5. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

The adapter listed has internal resistors inside, thus providing the needed load on the circuits to enable tow mode without modifying tge trailer harness.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Understood. But Jack started this topic in 2016, and his update post merely said he had been told that product solved the issue. I am wondering what he did to solve the problem last year.

7. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Ah. I see now. I can remember if it was ohmman or Jim that had their trailer harness modified on delivery. I suspect @jackbowers would have put resistors in parrallel