Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tricks to Maximizing Power/Acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model S75D.

Sometimes feels like the torque is absolutely gut wrenching by any normal car standards and sometimes feels a little mushy. Still quicker than 99% of the cars on the road but what’s the trick to unlock the full potential?

Some that should seem to be obvious helpers:
- Turn off all other electric users, audio, AC, fans, heaters, nav.
- Turn off traction control
- Full charge?

I notice decent differences based on the state of charge. Part of the downside on long trips to only charging enough to get to the next supercharger. I also think the outside temperature is a factor, especially when it's less than approximately 40F.

I think the other factors you mentioned are not relevant -- but that's my opinion and experience.

2018 Model S75D.

Sometimes feels like the torque is absolutely gut wrenching by any normal car standards and sometimes feels a little mushy. Still quicker than 99% of the cars on the road but what’s the trick to unlock the full potential?

- Full charge?

Audio, AC, fans,... run off the 12v battery, so that won't help acceleration.
Don't disable traction control, your wheels will slip more.
As mentioned before, full charge does matter.

Do warm up your battery to get the most power.

2018 Model S75D.

- Full charge?

turning off audio, AC, fans, heaters, and nav will do literally nothing for your acceleration. those run off the 12v battery.

turning off traction control will make you slower.

2018 Model S75D.

- Full charge?

Turning off other stuff won't make a difference. The car will temporarily cut power to AC, heat, etc during WOT.

You can't turn off traction control.

Yes, full charge or near full charge will provide more power, but the heat of the battery is also important so if you have a performance model, don't forget max battery (although it's not really good for the battery).

If you don't have a performance model, I've discovered that supercharging for at least 15 minutes will raise the battery to 110F which is about the same as the "max battery" setting when in "ready" mode.