Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tricky terminology: Battery vs Cell & Charger vs EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
`

The point (distinction) he is trying to make is that a 9V battery is really 6 individual A cells attached in series (well, at one point they were--that's not necessarily the case all the time these days), so the point is that Panasonic makes individual cells which Tesla assembles into a battery [pack].
I don't have a problem understanding what he is saying. The fact that I understand what he is saying is what's causing me to disagree.

I totally disagree with those links and his technical logic which confuses people. He listed a 1.5 volt device as a cell and anything larger a battery.....that's just totally wrong and shouldn't be stated because its totally incorrect. A series of batteries is a battery pack.

You guys really needs to call Panasonic and instruct them as to what a cell is and what a battery is.....because they list the 18650's they put in a Tesla as a batteries. I know you guys know more than Panasonic.....so you ought to call them and correct them.

Lets create another thread if you want to get technical and talk about plates and the technicals of a battery cell. <-----See what I did there?

Last edited:
I don't have a problem understanding what he is saying. The fact that I understand what he is saying is what's causing me to disagree.

I totally disagree with those links and his technical logic which confuses people. He listed a 1.5 volt device as a cell and anything larger a battery.....that's just totally wrong and shouldn't be stated because its totally incorrect.

No, I think he just listed 5 different examples of batteries (and that is another point that I think is confusing, but I'll get to that in a minute). It just so happens that 4 of them happen to be 1.5V and 1 9V. And unfortunately for his example, the 4 1.5V examples are what he called cells, and the 9V a battery. But it's not the voltage that he was using as a differentiator, but rather the fact that if you rip open a 9V battery, you will actually find 6 little cells inside strung together in series. I admit he should have been a bit more explicit in his explanation if he was going to use this example, as most people don't know that fact about 9V batteries.

Anyway, the other point about the term "battery" vs. "cell" (and again, this is being highly pedantic) is that by the strict technical definition, I suppose a battery could consist of a single cell, so it could be appropriate to call a single AA cell a "battery", but it would not be accurate to call a 9V battery a cell, because technically it's not. Kind of like a square/rectangle thing (i.e. all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares). And really, it doesn't matter anyway because the common use of the word battery includes AA, AAA, C and D cells as well as 16850 and 2170 cells. So Panasonic is not incorrect to use that terminology when speaking to anyone but battery engineers.

• Love
Reactions: dhrivnak and mongo
Apologizes to all looking for 3 lot pics., Hopefully, this gets move to another mongo pedantic thread shortly.

So you do realize my initial post was tongue in cheek and meant to separate what Panasonic actually makes from what is useful to OEMs? If you want a battery for your EV, you are not going to buy what Panasonic makes. Because what Panasonic makes is only a single cell. Thus the usefulness of the distinction in that case. Panasonic does not make EV batteries, they make cells that can be combined into a battery. If you want to go with battery for a single sell, that is fine with me.

To be pedantic (and alliterative), Panasonic sells cells, not batteries...:D

I totally disagree with those links and his technical logic which confuses people. He listed a 1.5 volt device as a cell and anything larger a battery.....that's just totally wrong and shouldn't be stated because its totally incorrect. A series of batteries is a battery pack.

I claimed nothing regarding linking of voltage to cell vs battery. I did not call out the voltages of the other cells, so your line of reasoning has nothing to do with what I wrote. The 9V was a brain teaser, I doubt anyone would know what I meant if I have used the proper PP3/ MN1604/ NEDA1604 designation for a 9V...

A series of cells is a battery. A car battery is (typically) constructed of 8 lead acid cells. A 9 V is (typically) constructed of 6 cells.

You guys really needs to call Panasonic and instruct them as to what a cell is and what a battery is.....because they list the 18650's they put in a Tesla as a batteries. I know you guys know more than Panasonic.....so you ought to call them and correct them.

Yep, they use the colloquial term on their web site too. And Detroit is the Motor City... but their cars use engines...
I checked Wikipedia, they allow a single cell battery, so I guess I'm out voted...

Lets create another thread if you want to get technical and talk about plates and the technicals of a battery cell. <-----See what I did there?
Um... you subdivided the battery into constituent components?
battery composed of cells composed of plates...

Edit: @RTPEV expressed better what I was attempting to: Panasonic makes single cell batteries. OEMs need multi-cell batteries.

Last edited: