Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Range and Consumption 2020 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, if we play that same game using weight and rims - the Model 3 SR+ RWD vs LR AWD is roughly 200kg leighter.
The Front Motor doesn't kick in at low speeds and constant speeds so the difference is just weight and tires.
In real world range the SR+ is about 10-15%+ more efficient than the AWD using the same 18".

And Tesla is trying to tell us that the AWD MY 19", 150-200kg more weight, is only 2% less efficient than a AWD M3 with 18"?!

This ain't happening. People should expect way less in real world. My estimation is about 240-250 miles real range from 0-90% on the AWD 19" Model.

it seems to me that you are only focusing on battery. What if the motor on MY is more efficient or improved software? I know for fact that MY being the first car with a heat pump that will improve range significantly in colder weather. Someone already confirmed that.

Funny, it said 300miles a minute ago. And it offered me 20" not 21". No idea.

Anyways, 280 miles. That is closer to the 280Wh/km than 300 miles, but still you have to use 78kWh as total and you end up short with 278 miles. On the 3 they use 76.5 as a calculation. Maybe they went overboard with the total capacity, just to make sure the YP has some decent range on the website...
This is also yet another proof that the "added" capacity on the 3 and Y is just math - instead of using 76.5kWh they use a total of 78kWh. Which is kind a sad, because the 78kWh is a fugazi - it is just there for a few miles and then drops to 76-77kWh...

My math is correct though. From 0-100% or about 74kWh you can expect 245miles to 265 miles on a ful charge.

And I highly doubt it that the Y can be as efficient as the 3 as the website is trying to make it. But we will have to wait and see - are there any AWD tests with 18"?
For the Y Performance with the Perf. upgrade (21 inch wheel) the rating is 280. You lose 35 miles. with the upgrade wheels etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ericna
For my ignorance and confusion can somebody give me an approximate range of consumption for how the model Y should function? Obviously there are a bunch of factors. For example if you have a civic you'd say maybe 18mpg-30mpg but the average is about 25mpg.

What is the ballpark range and average somebody should expect?

For my ignorance and confusion can somebody give me an approximate range of consumption for how the model Y should function? Obviously there are a bunch of factors. For example if you have a civic you'd say maybe 18mpg-30mpg but the average is about 25mpg.

Ball parking as the jury is still out. From what I have read so far consumption seems to be around the range of 330 to 260 Wh/mile on a 75 Kwh pack. 230 to 290 miles if you ran it from 100% to 0 which you should not. If you ran from 100 to 10%, which I find cutting it close, you would need to multiple those ranges by 0.9. 80% (fast charging zone) to 20% that becomes 0.6 or 140 to 175 miles. With SC's 100 to 120 miles apart in northern Canada and regular -5 oF the math on range becomes different. As for California you should not care about cold weather and heat is what you should research. Appears to be a lot of SC's in your state so range may not be such a big concern? Of course if you are using it 99% of the time to go less than 100 miles per day and charge at home this vehicle will be great for you as long as Elon does not take all his SC's with him when he moves out ;).

Reactions: empiredown

Is your interest on cost or actual driving range? The Y is rated 124 mpg I believe so far more efficient than a Prius or any ICE car. Range is 316 and that is if you drove it full to empty in close to ideal conditions, IN practice, you're not going to run it below 10%, rarely will charge to full, and won't get the wh/mile that near ideal conditions get. So range is probably closer to 240 miles before you will need to re-charge.

Reactions: empiredown
Is your interest on cost or actual driving range? The Y is rated 124 mpg I believe so far more efficient than a Prius or any ICE car. Range is 316 and that is if you drove it full to empty in close to ideal conditions, IN practice, you're not going to run it below 10%, rarely will charge to full, and won't get the wh/mile that near ideal conditions get. So range is probably closer to 240 miles before you will need to re-charge.

More like a reasonable understanding of the consumption. Various posts are complaining about their high 320Wh/km consumption and others say 280 is good. I was just curious what a true range would be.

Now folks, let's go back in time and have this discussion with me still using my horse and all of you driving the new newfangled Ford Model T. I only car that my horse is healthy and fed and my son cleans up the horse *sugar*. You guys are going to split the gas consumption into miles per ounce or worse.
Look at the published numbers (more or less) and see how loose estimates were. Nobody gave a particular care about gas mileage being an ounce off hear or there:

The Model T had a front-mounted 177-cubic-inch (2.9 L) inline four-cylinder engine, producing 20 hp (15 kW), for a top speed of 40–45 mph (64–72 km/h). According to Ford Motor Company, the Model T had fuel economy on the order of 13–21 mpg‑US (16–25 mpg‑imp; 18–11 L/100 km). Fuel economy 13 to 21. A large variance and NOBODY cared. So what am I dribbling about: I have the car on order and unless the numbers are really skewed, my inclination is to just drive the car, enjoy the car and not worry about a couple of miles or inches one way or the other.

Now folks,
let's go back in time and have this discussion with me still using my horse and all of you driving the new newfangled Ford Model T. I only car that my horse is healthy and fed and my son cleans up the horse *sugar*. You guys are going to split the gas consumption into miles per ounce or worse.
Look at the published numbers (more or less) and see how loose estimates were. Nobody gave a particular care about gas mileage being an ounce off hear or there:

The Model T had a front-mounted 177-cubic-inch (2.9 L) inline four-cylinder engine, producing 20 hp (15 kW), for a top speed of 40–45 mph (64–72 km/h). According to Ford Motor Company, the Model T had fuel economy on the order of 13–21 mpg‑US (16–25 mpg‑imp; 18–11 L/100 km). Fuel economy 13 to 21. A large variance and NOBODY cared. So what am I dribbling about: I have the car on order and unless the numbers are really skewed, my inclination is to just drive the car, enjoy the car and not worry about a couple of miles or inches one way or the other.

.There were many less people during fordson's time that is for sure. It really has nothing to do with consumption, by itself, that is just one of the variable to calculate the range prior to having to recharge. If SC's are close, no temp swings, weather or wind or you do not travel over a 100 miles (160 km) to the next SC you have no worries. What I have read is at approx -20oC (-4 oF) lithium ion batteries kind of hit a wall (steep down hill from there). Pack/consumption = Range and it does not matter till it does. You know running out of gas in the middle of nowhere with that 20 HP T, like still, would be a bummer.

My thinking wasn't about range, it's about the economy difference of between 13 to 21 MPG and it really didn't matter. Just get in it and enjoy what it had to offer. Whereas with the Tesla it would have been between 13 and 13.2. Where the hell is my .2?
Just a different mindset. I hope I don't go down that road where a couple of miles sours my enjoyment.

My thinking wasn't about range, it's about the economy difference of between 13 to 21 MPG and it really didn't matter. Just get in it and enjoy what it had to offer. Whereas with the Tesla it would have been between 13 and 13.2. Where the hell is my .2?
Just a different mindset. I hope I don't go down that road where a couple of miles sours my enjoyment.
Have you ever ran out yourself (did not have enough juice to make it). For me it is hope not again; not many but a couple ;)...

For me it was gas but same point. Where's that jerrycan :eek:
Yep, been bitten twice by 2 different ICE vehicles with stuck gas gauges, one at 3/8 and another at 1/4. Of course it only happens in January when you are next to nothing, never when it is nice and warm outside for a stroll... And both times it was before we all had cell phones, so try to flag somebody down or enjoy the walk. Part of the reason for wanting an EV, it is always topped off at home, no stuck fuel senders or leaking tanks.

Yep, been bitten twice by 2 different ICE vehicles with stuck gas gauges, one at 3/8 and another at 1/4. Of course it only happens in January when you are next to nothing, never when it is nice and warm outside for a stroll... And both times it was before we all had cell phones, so try to flag somebody down or enjoy the walk. Part of the reason for wanting an EV, it is always topped off at home, no stuck fuel senders or leaking tanks.
Really? You really drive down to E with the gas gauge? Is it worth it when there's a Gas Station on every corner?

You missed the point of how consumption equates to range and efficiency with EV's is an important thing. You remember how it was when you ran out of gas; you sure do not want that with an EV. Bit heavier to push off the road and a jerrycan will not work. With current range and technology of batteries in colder temperatures spacing of SC's may not always work. We may see what that heat pump does at - 25oC (-13 oF) who knows.