Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Range and Consumption 2020 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said in the video it "was the exact same road" - It is obviously not the exact same road as it says so in the app - 5 miles difference. I am comparing only the best efficiency and there is roughly 10% difference across the board.
At these slow speeds wind and drag doesn't play that much of a role - it is mainly weight and DU efficiency.

But I think when we compare both this and the out of spec video, we can come to a pretty good comparison of around 6%-10% difference in between Model Y and Model 3. It is obvious that the 2% Tesla gives is bull.

And if we take this stretch and the way he drives at around 290Wh/m he is looking at about 250 miles from 0-100% and about 225 miles from 90%. Or about 200 miles for the 80% most people use 90/10. So yeah, if you can work with 200-225 miles, that is your goal right there.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ericna
My worst case scenario is a frigid winter day and driving:
25 miles and sitting for a couple hours, then
62 miles and sitting, then
25 miles.

This is only 174 miles, so even with heating up the car four times, I think I'll be fine. Thoughts?
(60 MPH average, MY AWD 19")

My worst case scenario is a frigid winter day and driving:
25 miles and sitting for a couple hours, then
25 miles.

This is only 174 miles, so even with heating up the car four times, I think I'll be fine. Thoughts?
(60 MPH average, MY AWD 19")

I think if you had the performance with PUP then you would be cutting it close. I think in non severe conditions, the performance with PUP will realistically get you 250 miles at full charge (not the advertised 280). Factor in that you shouldn't regularly charge to 100% then you are looking at a range closer to 225 miles at 90% charge. Add in "frigid winter" degradation and you would be very close to your 180 mile mark. This should be a factor for those considering the performance with 21inch wheels, but how often do you hear it said that the performance Model Y might dip into the 180 mile range?

Would be interesting to see what a performance with PUP with s swap back to 19" wheels would render as the car would be lower than the AWD but have the AWD wheels.
Depends on where you drive it and how... Obviously on lower city to low highway speed it will have much greater impact. In comfort and range.
But what benefit are people looking from PUP from a family mini-SUV?!
If you have never driven a Tesla you will be driving in chill mode for most of the time, since you will not be able to handle the pedal and acceleration. Especially if you drive children.

And it will cost a ton of money to replace those 21". On top of less range and less comfort.
Unless you are a puberty milenial that likes to show off, I don't really see any use for the P on any of those cars. Even the show off gets old after a fee months...

And I drive an AWD and have driven the P over 2000 miles. Only downsides.

Add in "frigid winter" degradation and you would be very close to your 180 mile mark. This should be a factor for those considering the performance with 21inch wheels, but how often do you hear it said that the performance Model Y might dip into the 180 mile range?
Agreed on possibly cutting it close. In (frigid) winter however you won't be able to drive on the 21" summer performance tires, and since there aren't any winter tires available in that size, you'll have to change to 19" or 20" wheels.

Unless you are a puberty milenial that likes to show off, I don't really see any use for the P on any of those cars. Even the show off gets old after a fee months...

Other than showing off, how about that it is just fun to accelerate quickly. Some people enjoy driving their cars for enjoyment, and not just to get from A to B.

Agreed on possibly cutting it close. In (frigid) winter however you won't be able to drive on the 21" summer performance tires, and since there aren't any winter tires available in that size, you'll have to change to 19" or 20" wheels.

My config is the AWD with 19" wheels. Sounds like I'll have plenty of range for this worst case scenario.

Okay, so the menopausing boomers should just stick to the chill mode then? lol.

Last edited:
Other than showing off, how about that it is just fun to accelerate quickly. Some people enjoy driving their cars for enjoyment, and not just to get from A to B.
You gonna notice the difference of about 0.3-0.5S in absolute ideal conditions, perfect road and battery temp, at high SOC( that most of the time the car is not in), seriously? Who are we joking here. And 90% of the people here will never drive pass 80mph, which in Germany is city driving almost.
Trust me, the difference between the P and AWD even(not even talking AWD upgrade, regular AWD) is so minimal that if you don't have the cars side by side you will never notice it.

The difference is 1.3 seconds. Which is significant when you are talking about 0-60 times. That is a very noticeable difference. People are clocking 3.3 in the performance with lighter wheels, so the 19" gems on the performance might even make that difference closer to 1.5 seconds. It's not about the time or how close the two might be in a quarter mile, its about that g-force acceleration difference between the AWD and the P. Both are quick, but one makes you feel like you will loose your lunch, and the other doesn't. Very few people care about the top speed. As you say, most people wont go past 80 mph anyway. The fun is when you hammer the throttle and feel your stomach flip, or rocket out of a corner. That is what the P is for, enjoyment.

Reactions: Ericna and yeahdave
The difference is 1.3 seconds. Which is significant when you are talking about 0-60 times. That is a very noticeable difference. People are clocking 3.3 in the performance with lighter wheels, so the 19" gems on the performance might even make that difference closer to 1.5 seconds. It's not about the time or how close the two might be in a quarter mile, its about that g-force acceleration difference between the AWD and the P. Both are quick, but one makes you feel like you will loose your lunch, and the other doesn't. Very few people care about the top speed. As you say, most people wont go past 80 mph anyway. The fun is when you hammer the throttle and feel your stomach flip, or rocket out of a corner. That is what the P is for, enjoyment.
The best I have seen is 3.5 vs 4.3. but I was talking about the P Upgrade on the AWD that if you need you can get for 2000$, that beings it even closer. Have driven both one after the other, no the difference is nowhere near what you are saying - P vs RWD vs SR+ sure. Vs AWD - nope.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ericna and Darmie
Ok guys, back on topic...

Yesterday I drove my PUP Model Y with the stock 21" performance "Uberturbine" wheels on a 166 mile round trip with 2000 feet of elevation gain, approximately 50% of the drive was in rain, temperature ranged between 40F and 50F. My son drove with me in his performance model 3, also with staggered 20" performance wheels. The trip was 65% freeway, 30% two lane highway (speed limit 55), and remaining 5% city. On the freeway we drove 70, and on the highway about 60.

At our midpoint destination, which is 2000 feet above our departure and return point, we stopped for several hours. I have made this trip many times in my 2019 Raven Model X Long Range as well, and typically arrive with 50 to 55% battery remaining. The Model Y made with 58%!

Both the Model 3 and the Model Y departed with 99% battery. Upon arrival back home, the Model T still had 24% battery, and the Model 3 had 12%.

So far I am amazed and very pleased that the Model Y is matching the range and performance of both the Model 3 and the Raven Long Range Model X. Incredible!

Same here. 290 Wh/mi over 265.5 miles. Mostly with Lead Foot (aka Wifey) driving... Different temps, different roads.

IMG_20200405_120115.jpg

I see a Boost on our future, when/if available...

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_120115.jpg
    IMG_20200405_120115.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 70