Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Triple App Screen on v9!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my MCU replaced which of course forced the update to V9. For my use, it is a big step backwards in safety and usability. I have emailed to tesla via several channels to express my dismay at the removal of the choice of apps to display. I did here back via each channel and I suggest everyone also email them. It may not change anything but I have never been one to suffer silently.

The current UI trend is to be minimal. Often that also means functionality is not user-discoverable, which is unfortunate. Buttons that don't look like buttons but might do something if you pull on them in one particular direction are particularly bad. Only yesterday, after reading someone's post about the feature, did I discover you could swipe the Navigate box to the right and it would auto-select your work or home address. That just seemed like a box you would tap to initiate navigation, but hidden functionality lurked unnoticed. o_O
How do people even think of trying to do stuff like that? It never would have crossed my mind to drag up from the app button, let alone drag two apps at once.
The drag instructions were in the Update Notes Tesla pops up after the software update is complete.

The drag instructions were in the Update Notes Tesla pops up after the software update is complete.
That might well have been the case. My Update Notes window was blank after at least two different updates, so it's likely I just didn't see it.

Regardless, I still would argue that if a change can't be discovered without written instructions, it's a hidden feature.

The rearview camera is NOT an app - it's a superior replacement for a tiny little rear view mirror with a relatively limited field of view. I DON'T need the map (which IS just an app) up all the time unless I am driving somewhere new - on a daily commute, I want the camera UP TOP where I can see it easily and the media player below. This is really a garbage "update" on a vehicle costing six figures. Revise the UI if you like, but keep it simple, functional, and versatile, please. This swiping and holding down buttons is more appropriate for smartphone apps - if you have to read a manual to figure out how to use an automotive UI, then the UI design is a failure. For v10, can we get UI designed by people that actually drive the car? Good grief. What an utter disappointment.

Here's my two cents for what it's worth...I can totally see the point in streamlining the UI on all models for many reason, one of them being costs and having to deal with different versions and HW etc.

But and this is a Big but, if someone at some point bought a Bentley cuz he could and liked the extravagant style and especially the luxury interior, that person would not be very thrilled when after a service visit he would discover that his Dash now looked like that of a cheap vw golf...just because this car is part of the VW-Group. We Model S and X drivers paid a premium to get what we wanted and now Tesla decided to alter the functionality of the UI...Have not yet V9 since I am living in Europe but not going to install when it becomes available before certain bugs and issues have been resolved.

So you don’t even have the new version yet and you hate it?
And if it was all new features that you liked, and you thought they did a good job improving it........
Would you be telling everyone how great a car it was Because it was “always being improved upon” unlike other OEMs?

Lots(I think maybe most)owners overall like the update and that’s exactly what I’ve been telling my friends.
I think some of the older members here will talk about how the whole car and software and UI has changed over the many years to get where we are now(the one you like currently). It wasn’t always liked by everyone along the way.
Sorry don’t mean to be combative or on a soapbox just can’t believe the “ sky is falling” rhetoric on here lately.

• Disagree
Reactions: JohnnyG
Sadly, the 2 of the 3 apps for this have to be nav and music, and camera is still on the bottom. :(
I am glad to know there are more people who have found the camera view being at the bottom not as convenient. In the previous version I always had the camera view at the top when driving. It takes me more time to shift my focus to the bottom of the screen when checking my blindspots and this is not very ergonomic when driving. What's interesting is, when the vehicle is in reverse, the camera is positioned at the top. I would like the ability to place any app I want at the top. While I like a LOT of the changes, I wonder why they thought that maps only being at the top is what everyone would want. This should be configurable! As a piece of software matures, it should allow more configurability. My message to the design team, "Hide the configuration settings deep but allow experienced users to configure the interface so you aren't taking away core functionality from them."

Agree, having lived with v9 for a few weeks now, the negatives significantly outweigh the benefits, especially if you have an AP1 (me) or AP-less car. Just about every modern car has the primary UI screen as high as they can get it, this is obviously to prevent your eyes drifting too far from the road, so to remove the option to select what appears in the top half is not enhancing safety. Here's hoping 9.1 fixes it. When S & X gets a redesign, it's a safe bet the screen will be the same orientation as Model 3, but Tesla can't just ignore the fact that the current S/X screen is entirely optimized for 2 apps to be displayed. I have zero interest in the map, I use Waze on my phone, until the screen mirroring function becomes available (ha!).

Reactions: JohnnyG and f-stop
Agree, having lived with v9 for a few weeks now, the negatives significantly outweigh the benefits, especially if you have an AP1 (me) or AP-less car. Just about every modern car has the primary UI screen as high as they can get it, this is obviously to prevent your eyes drifting too far from the road, so to remove the option to select what appears in the top half is not enhancing safety. Here's hoping 9.1 fixes it. When S & X gets a redesign, it's a safe bet the screen will be the same orientation as Model 3, but Tesla can't just ignore the fact that the current S/X screen is entirely optimized for 2 apps to be displayed. I have zero interest in the map, I use Waze on my phone, until the screen mirroring function becomes available (ha!).
When screen mirroring will come, it will not be available for AP1 cars, possibly not even AP2. Might be tied to CPU2 or maybe some future version CPU3. And if it does come before they rotate the screen on S & X, the phone mirror will likely be on the bottom of the screen, with Tesla so proudly displaying their google maps on top.

D2C7468B-CC64-493E-A6CB-CD5027DA9F21.jpeg

The excuse that everyone keeps making for Tesla's decision to always have the map displayed (because we're moving toward FSD) is ridiculous at best. With FSD, you won't *need* to look at the map!!! Why would the human need to stare at the map if the car is doing all the driving?!?!

I know Tesla has chosen a vision-based FSD methodology, but I don't think that means the car must display the maps on the screen for it to "see" where to go... Maybe I'm wrong though: maybe they're going to install a new camera pointing at the MCU so the car can see which direction to go :rolleyes:

Why would the human need to stare at the map if the car is doing all the driving?!?!
To know where you are?
TBH I check maps ALWAYS when I'm in a car as a passenger and someone else is driving. I also check my position on the map when I'm riding in a train, or when I'm flying in a plane, or when I'm on-board a ship.
So, the day we will have FSD I will really like to look at the map every so often to pinpoint my location. Tesla, please don't take the maps away with FSD! (or at least let us choose what to show on the screen!)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
To know where you are?.....
I'm not saying "take the maps away!", I'm saying that we should have a choice.

But what I was primarily saying above, is that Tesla's decision to take our choice away could not be driven by the move towards FSD. That excuse, which people keep making for Tesla's decision, is just silly. BTW, for the record, Tesla has never claimed FSD as being their reason. It just makes me laugh, and then cringe, each time I read someone say that.

FTR: I love maps, and am as infatuated with my current position, as it sounds like you are. But I don't want a map held in front of my face, keeping me from other things. Especially when someone else (FSD car) is doing the driving. I just want to check-in from time to time, when curiosity strikes.

The excuse that everyone keeps making for Tesla's decision to always have the map displayed (because we're moving toward FSD) is ridiculous at best. With FSD, you won't *need* to look at the map!!! Why would the human need to stare at the map if the car is doing all the driving?!?!

I know Tesla has chosen a vision-based FSD methodology, but I don't think that means the car must display the maps on the screen for it to "see" where to go... Maybe I'm wrong though: maybe they're going to install a new camera pointing at the MCU so the car can see which direction to go :rolleyes:

Maybe this means there’s a hidden camera in the car that reads the map just like a human. Getting it full time access to the map is necessary for FSD. Presumably it’s just a black and white camera, so the all grey color scheme maps better to the dynamic range.

Yeah that’s it. A secret hidden camera necessary for FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: f205v and JohnnyG