Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trips to Florida from Richmond Hill Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took I-75 and with some errands run, has put about 6300KM on the odo. Mine is a 90D. I took delivery on Sept 25 and right now has about 13,500KM driven. The 6300KM averaged 172wh/km.

Here is the summary and some of my thoughts from personal experience.

Payload:
2 adults and a 4-yr old. We also stuffed the car with lots of things as we were heading to a 24-day vacation.

Charging:
Except one top-up charge in Orlando, Supercharger is the only source for charging. We tend to skip superchargers if possible as my 4-yr old needed a much longer break and the car needed a much shorter charging time than I had thought. The superchargers we visited are: Comber, Lima, Lexington KY, Knoxville, Atlanta, Macon, Tifton, Lake City, Orlando, Fort Drum, Riviera Beach and Marathon.

Route:
On the way south, we started at 9:45AM, charged at Comber, went through the border and charged again at Lima. We skipped Dayton and Cincinnati as they are not close to I-75 from my perspective. The first night, we stopped at Lexington KY. The next morning, I got up a little bit earlier and had breakfast first. While my wife tended to my son, I went out for a charge. The hotel was not very far from the supercharger and I charged to 90%. I could have charged less, but my wife told me my son did not want to get up. Our original target was Tifton but since we lost some time waking our son. By the time we arrived in Atlanta, it was past 6PM. We used Knoxville as the first stop though. So we decided to shorten that day by stopping at Macon instead. The third day, again I started a little bit earlier and our target is West Palm Beach. We stopped at Lake city, Fort Drum. The fouth day, we charged to 100% at Riviera Beach, went to some beaches on the east and then headed south towards Everglades port where we were to have a cruise. It was a bit difficult for us to find the port entrance and when we arrived, it was already 2PM. We parked the car at the port garage where it was left there for 7 days. The car was at 70%. Cruise was good and relaxing. We came back ashore and found the car to have 63% remaining. so 1% a day. As Plantation Supercharger was not yet up, we headed directed towards Keywest. Marathon is a comparatively small supercharger and since it was weekends, we couldn't find any facilities nearby. But anyway, we arrived in the hotel safe and sound. The next day, we went to Keywest. US-1 was very very nice. We all liked it. The drive was enjoying. After staying in Marathon hotel for 2 nights, we charged up again and left. The biggest problem for Maraton supercharger is it is a little bit too isolated. You don't have too much of a choice. After leaving Marathon, we headed towards Orlando. But on the way to Orlando, while I was charging in Fort Drum, the power of the whole charging station went down. Luckily I had enough juice to go to Orlando so I made a call to Tesla support team informing them of the problem and then left. We stayed in a resort for 6 nights. We had 5 days of Disney world and I did not charge the car for even one wh. On the 5th night, I was kinda worried whether there was enough electrons to make a round way trip to Kennedy Space centre and decided to top up a little bit. There was one J1772 at Walgreens nearby but it cost US0.39/KWH. I had no choice and spent US 3.35 on the charging. The trip to Kennedy Space Center was fascinating and it turned out I worried too much. 54% of the charge should be enough for me to make the round trip. On the way back to Canada, we stopped at Orlando, Lake City, Tifton, Atlanta, Knoxville, Lexington, Lima and Comber.

My comments:
1. Autopilot is wonderful, I drafted a lot and this feature is very useful.
2. The car is a wonderful machine.
3. It would be nice if we can have a little bigger battery pack though, I'd say 110KWH would roll the dice.

I was kinda busy and did not finish the post yesterday. Here is the remaining part:

4. With near perfect driving condition (flat road, no wind, favorable temperature, reasonable speed), it can reach sub 150wh/km.
5. Drafting does reduce the consumption a lot. 10% is not a dream especially under speed between 100 - 120KM/H. And lots of trucks in the States maintains that speed.

We met a couple from Port Perry in Knoxville, met them again on the I-75 and a third time at Atlanta supercharger.

Model S is a car rarely seen in eastern US though. Except the ones charging at the SC, I probably only saw once or twice while driving on the road.

• Love
Reactions: Trevlan006
Proposed the same trip to my wife last night for March break and then comes your post. Thanks for the great timing!

Wondering if you could break out the trip into sections and post for clarity, as I intend to use EV trip planner for my calculations like I did for my Toronto<-> NY trip ?
Ref:
Toronto to New York city - trip planning

let me find some time tomorrow. with 23days off work, I am still catching up.

here is the detailed information:

Day 1:
Started at 9:45AM with full trip charge (99%)
Stopped at Comber SC which is behind Petrol Canada, had a bio-break and some prepared food from home.
Started out again at 90% and heading Lima SC. My boy was bored by the long trip and began to act up.
Arrived at Lima and let him do a long break while we grabbed something to eat (I forgot where we ate)
Charged to full (since we had a long meal) and head towards Lexington Daysinn.

Day 2:
I got up a little bit early and went to Lexington SC. Charged there to 90% while my wife tended to son. Started out pretty late heading Knoxville. Arrived in Knoxville, did some shopping in the Target nearby and had lunch in Target. Leave Knoxville heading Atlanta. We arrived in Atlanta SC at 6:10PM, let the car charge and went up stairs to California Pizza Kitchen. There were a waiting line in the restaurant and when the car finished charging at 90%, we were still waiting for our order. So I let the car charge to 100%. Leaving Atlanta we headed towards Macon where we lodge.

Day 3:
Again I headed out for a charge and my wife tried to wake my son. Charged to 90% and heading Lake city. We arrived in Lake City ahead of schedule and had a long lunch in Applebee's. The car again finished charging before we finished eating. The next stop we chose Fort Drum which is located in the service plaza. Since our last stop is West Palm Beach, we did not charge too much. Leaving Fort Drum and we arrived in West Palm Beach.

Day 4:
Still, I got up and charged at nearby supercharger Riviera Beach. The service center adjacent was closed. We then headed towards nearby beach, played for a while, and headed towards our destination Port Everglades where we had the cruise.

Coming back from cruise:
We came ashore at about 10:30AM, grabbed the car which had 63% left and headed towards Marathon. The drive on US-1 was fascinating, green clear water, nice weather. Wow that is heaven! We arrived in Marathon SC which is a quite isolated one. I asked a policeman nearby and walked 5 minutes to a pizzahut. After charging to 90%, we headed down US-1 and found our resort. That night, we had dinner at Lazy Days which was a very decent place.

Day2:
We got up early and went to Keywest. Spent the whole day there and came back our resort in Marathon.

Day 3:
Charged up at Marathon SC and headed towards Riveria Beach SC. Charged in Riveria Beach to 90% and headed to Fort Drum. At Fort Drum, the power of the supercharger suddenly went out. Luckily I had enough charge to go to Orlando. So after reporting to Tesla, we set out to Orlando. Charged up in Orlando SC, we had dinner in Ming Court. The food was awful, not recommending.

There we stayed for 6 nights.

On the way back:
Day 1:
Set out from Kennedy Space Center heading towards Orlando SC at 6PM. Had the dinner in the Wendy's in the service plaza. Then set out to Lake City. We stayed in the Daysinn Lake City as Hilton nearby was fully occupied.

Day 2:
Again, I went to charge the car and my wife struggled with my son. AFter everything was done, we head towards Tifton. At Tifton, we had a short bio-break and started out to Atlanta. At Atlanta SC, we had the lunch at California Pizza Kitchen while the car charged. As we were in a hurry, we just charged enough and headed to Knoxville where we were to stay at a friend's home. Arrived at 8PM that day and received a warm welcome by our friend and his family.

Day 3:
Had a early breakfast and I went out for a charging. We left friend's home at 11AM and headed towards Lexington. Had "lunch" at Meijer and did a little bit of shopping. and by then, the car was charged up to almost 100% as we had too long a break. Then we started out for the destination that day: Lima. We stayed in Hampton Inn right beside the Supercharger so it made my life a lot easier. In the morning I opened the app and set the new charging limit and let the car sit there charging. As the weather was cold, the charging speed was significantly slow. But any way, we charged enough for the trip to Comber. At Comber, we dined at A&W and headed back. We arrived at home about 7PM.

Thanks for all of the details, I'm doing my Key West trip in late February; on the way back we're stopping in Sarasota and near the Apalachicola National Forest. From there we head home off the beaten path through Alabama.

I'm wondering if I should keep my snow tires (Xi3s) on for the entire 18 day trip, or swap to my summer rims/tires. Which tires did you use for your trip?

Thanks for all of the details, I'm doing my Key West trip in late February; on the way back we're stopping in Sarasota and near the Apalachicola National Forest. From there we head home off the beaten path through Alabama.

I'm wondering if I should keep my snow tires (Xi3s) on for the entire 18 day trip, or swap to my summer rims/tires. Which tires did you use for your trip?

I just used what came with the car. I don't have snow tires though

Has anyone considered the route down through Buffalo to get to Florida? It didn't used to be reasonable but my quick review suggests that the first day should be able to get us to Charleston, WV where there is overnight charging. From there, it is a reasonable leg to the new Wytheville, VA SC and then down through Charlotte, NC to Santee, SC and then i-95 the rest of the way. This route seems much shorter and faster.

Any thoughts or issues with this? We're considering this for this coming March Break.

Unless the Erie, PA supercharger is built and active by then, the stretch from Buffalo to Cranberry is 330 km and in the best of times could be dicey with rain and headwind. I did it in October and November. In November I already had snow tires on and it was +2C and rainy and strong headwind. Predicted charge at destination was 2% but running at speed limit in Autopilot got me there with 9% charge left.
Another option is to go from Buffalo via Syracuse, Binghampton, Tannersville ( unless Allentown is built by then )t

Unless the Erie, PA supercharger is built and active by then, the stretch from Buffalo to Cranberry is 330 km and in the best of times could be dicey with rain and headwind. I did it in October and November. In November I already had snow tires on and it was +2C and rainy and strong headwind. Predicted charge at destination was 2% but running at speed limit in Autopilot got me there with 9% charge left.
Another option is to go from Buffalo via Syracuse, Binghampton, Tannersville ( unless Allentown is built by then )t

I'm not worried about this leg of the trip as I did it successfully last year (with the help of a Tesla owner's HPWC in Buffalo instead of the SC that wasn't ready last year). I kept my speed around 100 km / hr and got there with about 20 kms left.

In Charleston only J1772 chargers are available but this is reasonable as an overnight option and not too much of an inconvenience for just one night.

Great post, thank you. Just to clarify, what sedative did you give your 4 year old:wink:

Seriously though, even if I was driving an ICE (which I am) I would never dream of driving that far with my own 4 year old.

Personally, California is a much more interesting destination from Toronto than Florida.
Mind you, the trip down to Florida and area is very scenic on the I-75 through Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama.
Taking I-95 is very mundane and expensive as one has to pay tolls Albany on down past Richmond.
Did this trip to Alabama in the Fall and it was a great trip.
Looking to make it to New Orleans perhaps this spring or earlier.