Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Truckla - Model 3 Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it’s impressive that a group of people with such a limited skillset took on a project of this size and with this kind of difficulty. This same project done by professional customizers, people that do this kind of work day in and day out, usually takes months to complete. I was cringing during the entire video though, they did so many things incorrectly that could have dire safety concerns at highway speeds. You never ever cut the main structure of a vehicle without first welding in braces to support the structure in its correct position so it does not move as you cut. And no, tie downs or bungee cords are not acceptable structural supports. Doing as they did and letting the body flex without proper bracing just changed the handling characteristics of the original design of that vehicle. You may not notice it driving at city speeds but once you start adding speed your frame with start twisting and flexing in ways it was never meant to

The Subaru Baja ?

I was thinking the same. That form factor was a commercial failure in the 70s but I wonder if it could have a revival in an EV form with towing, a beefier suspension and some Tesla aerodynamics.

I was thinking the same. That form factor was a commercial failure in the 70s but I wonder if it could have a revival in an EV form with towing, a beefier suspension and some Tesla aerodynamics.[/QUOTE]

It went by both names. And there was also the 78 - 84 VW Rabbit Pickup, the 79 - 82 Ford Durango, the 82 - 84 Dodge Omni Rampage and the 83 Plymouth Horizon Scamp. All sold with limited success. As for a modern version with a beefier suspension and such you have the Honda Ridgeline.

Yes, it’s impressive that a group of people with such a limited skillset took on a project of this size and with this kind of difficulty. This same project done by professional customizers, people that do this kind of work day in and day out, usually takes months to complete. I was cringing during the entire video though, they did so many things incorrectly that could have dire safety concerns at highway speeds. You never ever cut the main structure of a vehicle without first welding in braces to support the structure in its correct position so it does not move as you cut. And no, tie downs or bungee cords are not acceptable structural supports. Doing as they did and letting the body flex without proper bracing just changed the handling characteristics of the original design of that vehicle. You may not notice it driving at city speeds but once you start adding speed your frame with start twisting and flexing in ways it was never meant to
Seems like it would probably just make it handle like an old school convertible :p
Maybe not quite that bad since it still has the B pillars and front roof structure. I agree though that I would have welded the reinforcement in before cutting. They did support the frame from the bottom after the first cut.

I’ll join you in echoing this “unpopular opinion”.

I’m a boring, unimaginative guy so I think would have just gotten a fold down 7 seater Model X.

I don't think your opinion is unpopular at all. I think if something like this came from a company or a "professional" group we'd all be like WTF. While the end result is kinda meh, what it did have was character in terms of humor and hobbyist, we can view it from a different lens.

Would we ever want this done to our own cars? Hell no, but its a hilarious entertainment piece which is what she pulled off (and why she has had such high youtube success in her previous videos prior to Truckla). Not to mention that the popularity of the video lies in the demand for the concept itself (desire for a Tesla EV pickup) even if it is crap in design. That someone had the gall to do it, is why its gaining traction.

How is this not on here. I need one now.

Commercial:

...snip, snip..

Build:

...snip, snip...

Just downloaded the "Commercial" to show the ladies and lads in the mech shop at my work. Will view the Build video when I get home.

Thank you for enlightening us. Amazing and fun to watch.

Oh and the El Camero, down in Aussie, they were quite popular as UTE and used by a lot of folks with outback farms back then.

Food for thought, Hugh-SG

I don't think your opinion is unpopular at all. I think if something like this came from a company or a "professional" group we'd all be like WTF. While the end result is kinda meh, what it did have was character in terms of humor and hobbyist, we can view it from a different lens.

Would we ever want this done to our own cars? Hell no, but its a hilarious entertainment piece which is what she pulled off (and why she has had such high youtube success in her previous videos prior to Truckla). Not to mention that the popularity of the video lies in the demand for the concept itself (desire for a Tesla EV pickup) even if it is crap in design. That someone had the gall to do it, is why its gaining traction.
They love them in Australia so it would probably be an unpopular opinion there. Here, the vast majority of people want CUVs and traditional pickup trucks. I wish Tesla would make a wagon version of the Model 3 which is a body style that is pretty popular in the rest of the world.
2014_Holden_Ute_(VF_MY14)_SV6_utility_(2018-10-01)_01.jpg

Reactions: Watts_Up
Whilst I admire the pluck to do something like this - I think it looks fricken hideous.
May be practical but I would certainly put a shell to make it more like a station wagon.
Also you cannot really put anything in the bed because of the wind when driving.

Honestly, unless the car was damaged in an accident,
doing such chirurgical operation on a brand new car is kind of throwing money out the window.

Would you buy a new BMW and make it as a pickup truck?

Why not using an old Leaf.

Silly girl, what a short and small bed that is good for...nothing? Reminds me of this baby Chevy.

chevy.jpg

Now Mike over at EV West and his Model S pickup is a better size. Oh and yes, his was back in March or April of this year so news outfits need to do their homework.

teslamino-3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and KenC