Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Truckla - Model 3 Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My eyes hurt from these pictures. So much waste of labor time and cars that were otherwise perfectly fine.
Interesting idea but the result is..... far from the exciting Elon Musk’s cyberpunk ‘Blade Runner’ truck

Adding some panels on the side to make it more like a station wagon would be more appealing.

Silly girl, what a short and small bed that is good for...nothing?
It would be simple and more useful to have Tesla making the Model 3 tow package option available for North America
which is offered as option in Europe since May 8th?

However, I strongly believe that this option will not be offered in US
to avoid cannibalizing sales of the coming Model Y who should offer towing capability.

tesla-tow-hitch-model-3-europe.jpg

Yes, it’s impressive that a group of people with such a limited skillset took on a project of this size and with this kind of difficulty. This same project done by professional customizers, people that do this kind of work day in and day out, usually takes months to complete. I was cringing during the entire video though, they did so many things incorrectly that could have dire safety concerns at highway speeds. You never ever cut the main structure of a vehicle without first welding in braces to support the structure in its correct position so it does not move as you cut. And no, tie downs or bungee cords are not acceptable structural supports. Doing as they did and letting the body flex without proper bracing just changed the handling characteristics of the original design of that vehicle. You may not notice it driving at city speeds but once you start adding speed your frame with start twisting and flexing in ways it was never meant to

Was thinking the exact same thins. Not such a great idea cutting through the main structure of the body. This compromises the integrity of the vehicle and definitely wouldn't pass any crash test.

Was thinking the exact same thins. Not such a great idea cutting through the main structure of the body. This compromises the integrity of the vehicle and definitely wouldn't pass any crash test.

Did you see the making vid and Rich's ? The chassis was seriously strengthened by someone who builds race cars and rollcages etc. Probably stronger than it was before.

Reactions: Msjulie
Did you see the making vid and Rich's ? The chassis was seriously strengthened by someone who builds race cars and rollcages etc. Probably stronger than it was before.

Absolutely. There is a reason why vehicles fold under hard impacts. Welding a roll cage in a vehicle that was originally designed not to have one is seriously compromising it's integrity. Making something strong doesn't mean anything in an impact. Someone that builds race cars who's occupants wear neck braces, helmets & Fire retardant suites is a little different than a structural engineer that designs vehicles for road use with no safety equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
May be practical but I would certainly put a shell to make it more like a station wagon.
Also you cannot really put anything in the bed because of the wind when driving.

Honestly, unless the car was damaged in an accident,
doing such chirurgical operation on a brand new car is kind of throwing money out the window.

Would you buy a new BMW and make it as a pickup truck?

Why not using an old Leaf.
Fewer views.

Absolutely. There is a reason why vehicles fold under hard impacts. Welding a roll cage in a vehicle that was originally designed not to have one is seriously compromising it's integrity. Making something strong doesn't mean anything in an impact. Someone that builds race cars who's occupants wear neck braces, helmets & Fire retardant suites is a little different than a structural engineer that designs vehicles for road use with no safety equipment.
Only the beam over the trunk and the C-pillars were removed. There is no internal cage (which would definitely be a big no no for a car driven without a helmet). It looks reasonably safe to me but my standards are probably low, my third car is a tube frame kit car :D.

truck tesla.png
Only the beam over the trunk and the C-pillars were removed. There is no internal cage (which would definitely be a big no no for a car driven without a helmet). It looks reasonably safe to me but my standards are probably low, my third car is a tube frame kit car :D.

The vast majority of people on this forum drink the Rich build KoolAid.... But I wouldn't even let me dog ride in this. truck tesla.png

Reactions: cucubits
Reactions: Ludalicious