Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trucks no longer being displayed on speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how long this has been going on for but I recently noticed that trucks or any large vehicles are not being displayed as a truck image on my speedometer but just displays as a normal car.

When i first picked up the car a couple of months ago, it would show an image of a truck in front of me if it were a truck or display a car if it was a car in front.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Use to display trucks like the image below .. now it just shows a picture of a car for all vehicles

139120-cars-news-tesla-confirms-product-announcement-for-october-17-image1-sqKgjoTBcW.jpg

Last edited:
A brand new Model S from December 2017 would have been AP2 or AP2.5 for sure - those have never displayed trucks or motorcycles.
Anything after August 15 (or so) was 2.5 My September X is one. And, yeah, no trucks. :D

I guess the next question is, what's the manufacturing month/year on the sticker next to the driver's door jamb (B Pillar). This is getting weird...

i placed order Oct 23 2017 .. received vin sometime in November and car was delivered Dec 18 ....

I know for a fact that for the first couple of weeks I could see images of trucks on the dash screen when a truck was in front of me ... it was my wife who actually pointed it out to me and so I just reconfirmed with her that yes trucks were being displayed ....

The only thing i can think of is ... i had a service call on my car late January because i received an error on the car saying emergency braking disabled and my navigation would not track me it was stuck in one spot.

After the service call they told me they updated the firmware to the newest one ... and I think that may have been the last time I saw trucks appearing on my dash...

I only noticed this weekend that they haven't been appearing because my wife brought it up when we were behind a truck...

my car has AP 2.5 .. and it def showed trucks so im not sure whats going on here?

here is the service invoice from that service call ....

Concern: Customer: Navigation marker freezes while driving
Pay Type: Goodwill
Corrections: Navigation General Diagnosis
Confirmed owner's concern; Removed and replaced DAS ECU (Driver assistance service
electronic control unit); performed multiple function test; verified navigation working as
designed.
Corrections: Install 2nd Generation Autopilot ECU
Confirmed owner's concern; Removed and replaced DAS ECU (Driver assistance service
electronic control unit); performed multiple function test; verified navigation working as
designed; Please note; Driver assistance features will not be available for approx 500km
as the system needs to re-calibrate.
Part Quantity
ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,2.5 - FUSED
(1125800-70-B)

What's the little speedometer looking thing with an arrow.. (to the left of the current speed 68)? I'm pretty sure my Dec build car doesn't put that there.. (though I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what icon DOES show up there)

Well, it’s not 4/20 quite yet, so... I vote unicorn.

And in that spirit, a visual aid:

68F7C2EB-B9A7-401E-A153-3982169E966D.gif

For what it's worth, I've never seen so much as a single truck or bicycle or motorcycle icon in the IC since being led to believe an AP2 car was an improvement over my AP1 car.

Nor the adjacent traffic except in the edge case recently noted.

Whatever the anomaly with the OP's car/firmware, it sounds as if it was exorcised with some enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingjamez
What's the little speedometer looking thing with an arrow.. (to the left of the current speed 68)? I'm pretty sure my Dec build car doesn't put that there.. (though I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what icon DOES show up there)

I believe thats the "universal" symbol for cruise control. IIRC a few of my older cars had that symbol on the dash and on the buttons themselves. I have never seen that in our Tesla (but we've only had ours for about six months so it could have been on older models/previous software)

Right, the 'speedometer' with the lines is AP1. This does look like they upgraded you, but even an AP2.0 hardware didn't do this (from all other reports!). Very interesting.... And, yep, AP2.0 only shows adjacent lanes when you are in the act of changing lanes (automatically, usually).

the photo is not mine guys .. never said it was .. i edited the post and attached the image to show you guys what i use to see when i picked up the car ..... also .. i never saw multiple lanes ... only the cars infront of me ... the only thing i am saying i saw is a picture of a truck when a truck was infront of me ... and now it just shows a car for all vehicles.