Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TrueDelta.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've updated our reliability stats for the Model S to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2012-2013 Model S: 113, high

We've updated our reliability stats for the Model S to include owner experiences through the end of 2015, about eight months ahead of other sources. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year--lower is better:

2015 Model S: 56, high
2014 Model S: 52, moderate, small sample size
2013 Model S: 54, moderate

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2013 Model S: 58, < 1

These stats have been improving, and are much better than earlier. A reminder: anything done to fix a problem should be reported.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information--especially need more 2014s and 2016s:

Tesla Model S reliability ratings and comparisons

That's quite the improvement from off the charts issues in the early years to a moderate score. It still isn't Prius reliability levels but it's sure going the right direction.

This is my take as well, though one owner suggested to me that some people might not be reporting Ranger visits "repair trips," since their car did not go anywhere.

To be clear, Ranger visits should be reported.

If anyone misunderstood this, and needs to report an earlier visit, please let me know. I'll gladly correct anything that needs correcting. I can always be reached by replying to any of the emails we send for the survey.

We've updated our reliability stats for the Model S to include owner experiences through March 31, 2016, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2015 Model S: 61, high
2014 Model S: 55, high, small sample size
2013 Model S: 51, high

While the repair frequencies remain high, they have been improving.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2015 Model S: 52, 7
2013 Model S: 63, < 1

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

My own father is now one of you. He bought a post-update Model S in June, and has been loving it.

Any post-update cars should be enrolled as 2016.5s, to distinguish them from earlier 2016s. Hopefully we'll soon have enough of these to include them in the survey.

We've updated our reliability stats for the Model S to include owner experiences through June 30, 2016. Reliability information elsewhere is based on a survey conducted in April 2015--well over a year ago.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2016 Model S: 79, high, very small sample size
2015 Model S: 54, high
2014 Model S: 94, high, small sample size
2012-2013 Model S: 55, high

Each model year has been high initially, so the 2016s will likely improve in the future. The stat for the 2014s coupe be high due to the small sample size. The 2013 and 2015 have been holding steady with similar, lower repair frequencies for a few quarters now. These stats are about double the average, but are within the range of upscale European cars.

We'll have further updates in November and next February. Additional participants would be especially helpful for the 2014, 2016, and 2016.5. For any year Model S, if you don't see your variant in the list of trims and powertrains, it's likely because we consider it a half-year updated car.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

We've updated our reliability stats for the Model S to include owner experiences through September 30, 2016. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2016 Model S: 55, high, very small sample size
2015 Model S: 49, high
2014 Model S: 101, high, small sample size
2013 Model S: 56, high
2012 Model S: 56, high

2015 Model S: 60, 2
2013 Model S: 56, < 1
2012 Model S: 56, < 1

Additional participants always helpful, especially for years with small sample sizes.

Note that if you own a Model S produced after a mid-year update, we consider it a 201X.5 model year car and group it with the following year.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Sorry I haven't updated these stats recently. The latest stats, which cover through the end of 2017 are here.

In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2016.5-2017: 63, high
2016 Model S: 33, somewhat high, but the best yet seen for a Model S, very small sample size
2015 Model S: 66, high
2014 Model S: 72, high, small sample size
2012-2013 Model S: 85, high (had improved to the 50s, now increasing again)

Additional participants always helpful. To participate:

www.truedelta.com/join

We conducted a special survey that included the Teslas in January, covering owner experiences through the end of 2018.

Tesla Model Ss through the 2016 continue to require repairs two to three times as often as the average car, with stats ranging from 60 (for the older, out of warranty cars) to 88 for the 2015s. The 2016.5-2017 refreshed Tesla Model S, though, scored 31 for all of 2018, close to the average for all 2017 cars and even better than what we’re seeing for recent variants of the Model 3, suggesting that the improvement isn’t limited to the Model 3 or a fluke.

On the site, these updated stats are only available to members.

In general it is no longer free to join the site. But since we might continue to survey Teslas, I'm thinking of letting Tesla owners join for free. If you're interested in this, PM me here or contact me through the contact form on the site, www.truedelta.com.