Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trunk closes but wont latch that extra latch so car says trunk open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you manually shut the trunk with your hands, does it still remain unlatched?
no....if i shut it(clicks in to latch) it stays latched...its odd...it closes like its gonna latch and makes noise but just stays open a little crack so i have to shut it manually the last 1/2 inch after it does its thing. out of warranty so dont want to have tesla work on it.lol

When it almost closes, I'd try pressing and holding the close button on the control panel to see if it will complete the process. I'd also try to reset the upward opening limit by holding down the close button on the hatch for several seconds, and see if that makes a difference. Remember, if you reset the hatch open height, it will open all the way unless you hold it or press the hatch button to reset the open limit -- don't want to hit anything low.

A word of warning... I've gone through two "cinch motors" on my 2015 P85D trunk... it's the part that does the final pulling down and latching of the trunk when it closes. I believe the part is a Mercedes part and it is prone to fail. It can be a pain if it fails when it is halfway actuated because it will hold the trunk lid but not fully close it. When this happens you can't lock the car doors with the fob or use autopilot (but you can lock the doors using the touchscreen inside). The first time it happened, the Tesla tech had to use a grinder to cut the latch ring to release the trunk in order to replace the motor. Sometimes they can actuate it a few times and get it to move again but this isn't always the case. DIY folks use a 12v battery and contacts on the connector to force the motor to move.

If you have a warranty and it freezes up again, make sure to immediately notify Tesla/take it by a service center. When it is intermittent it's really hard to get them to replace the cinch motor as they can't reproduce the failure, so leave it "Stuck" and make sure they can see it. The first time they tried to remotely actuate it several times to make it close, were successful and then refused to replace it until it happened again and I brought the car to them and showed them the failure state.

It can be really annoying. I certainly hope the newer Tesla model S has a better quality part ;).

• Informative
Reactions: DerbyDave
no....if i shut it(clicks in to latch) it stays latched...its odd...it closes like its gonna latch and makes noise but just stays open a little crack so i have to shut it manually the last 1/2 inch after it does its thing. out of warranty so dont want to have tesla work on it.lol
update..still wont close to get sucked in and close. closes up untill that final pull and click.

A word of warning... I've gone through two "cinch motors" on my 2015 P85D trunk... it's the part that does the final pulling down and latching of the trunk when it closes. I believe the part is a Mercedes part and it is prone to fail. It can be a pain if it fails when it is halfway actuated because it will hold the trunk lid but not fully close it. When this happens you can't lock the car doors with the fob or use autopilot (but you can lock the doors using the touchscreen inside). The first time it happened, the Tesla tech had to use a grinder to cut the latch ring to release the trunk in order to replace the motor. Sometimes they can actuate it a few times and get it to move again but this isn't always the case. DIY folks use a 12v battery and contacts on the connector to force the motor to move.

If you have a warranty and it freezes up again, make sure to immediately notify Tesla/take it by a service center. When it is intermittent it's really hard to get them to replace the cinch motor as they can't reproduce the failure, so leave it "Stuck" and make sure they can see it. The first time they tried to remotely actuate it several times to make it close, were successful and then refused to replace it until it happened again and I brought the car to them and showed them the failure state.

It can be really annoying. I certainly hope the newer Tesla model S has a better quality part ;).
its out of warranty...unfortunately.....so cinch motor...is that something i can replace?

So how does one lock your car if it thinks the trunk is open. Had to leave on a flight with this issue and won’t show locked.

So how does one lock your car if it thinks the trunk is open. Had to leave on a flight with this issue and won’t show locked.
Hey there everyone.

First post here. I currently updated my model y to the newest update yesterday and now my trunk closes but won’t latch. I can’t even here the latch motor trying to engage. Everything is lined up perfect and works great. Has anyone had issues similar and is there a fix?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Rear latch closes but won’t cinch down. Closes under power and latch aligned, but motor does not run to pull down against seal.
Called Tesla and they insisted on sending a flatbed tow due to safety. I had already crawled in the trunk and put wire to hold it down, but they wanted to bring it to the service center.
Anyone else with similar issue?
2021 S LR refresh.
PS they gave us a Plaid for the loaner all weekend 😀

Yesterday my 7.5yr old MS 70D had this failure of the rear trunk latching mechanism. Trunk moves down/closes when you press the button or fob, but at bottom of travel the cinching actuator does not grab the latch, so trunk beeps and opens again. I was able to manually push the trunk lid down so that it stayed closed, though not latched. Temporarily secured the lid closed with a bit of duct tape in order to drive home safely without the lid opening.

Mobile service coming (in 4 days, earliest available appointment) to replace the actuator

Note: this is my 2nd cinching actuator to fail - the first one failed 5 years ago, but that time it seized in the closed/locked position. Fixed that time under warranty by mobile service.

Actually over the past half year, or maybe year or so, there have been random times where this problem occurred - ie powered trunk closes, but doesn't latch/beeps/then opens again. Those previous times when it happened, I was always able to manually push down on the trunk lid and it would latch securely. It might happen once or twice on a particular day, but then not occur again for many months, i.e. very intermittent and hard to reproduce.

In fact, It happened once last week, just before I brought my car into the service centre for some unrelated issues. I asked service to check the trunk latch, but they were "unable to verify the concern" and instead said to simply monitor the situation. Then 2 days after the service visit, as luck would have it the rear cinching actuator completely stopped working. Seems this part is prone to failure!

Its a cinch motor failure roughly $300 to replace, pretty easy DIY, Ive done it twice. Or you can just live with it manually shutting

Yesterday my 7.5yr old MS 70D had this failure of the rear trunk latching mechanism. Trunk moves down/closes when you press the button or fob, but at bottom of travel the cinching actuator does not grab the latch, so trunk beeps and opens again. I was able to manually push the trunk lid down so that it stayed closed, though not latched. Temporarily secured the lid closed with a bit of duct tape in order to drive home safely without the lid opening.

Mobile service coming (in 4 days, earliest available appointment) to replace the actuator

Note: this is my 2nd cinching actuator to fail - the first one failed 5 years ago, but that time it seized in the closed/locked position. Fixed that time under warranty by mobile service.

Actually over the past half year, or maybe year or so, there have been random times where this problem occurred - ie powered trunk closes, but doesn't latch/beeps/then opens again. Those previous times when it happened, I was always able to manually push down on the trunk lid and it would latch securely. It might happen once or twice on a particular day, but then not occur again for many months, i.e. very intermittent and hard to reproduce.

In fact, It happened once last week, just before I brought my car into the service centre for some unrelated issues. I asked service to check the trunk latch, but they were "unable to verify the concern" and instead said to simply monitor the situation. Then 2 days after the service visit, as luck would have it the rear cinching actuator completely stopped working. Seems this part is prone to failure!
May want to check your height adjusters on both sides of the opening (big plastic pads the trunk shuts against) screw them down a bit and see if the prob goes away