Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Lighting Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually did the entire kit on my MS. I love it! I just wish we could keep our leg lights on while driving, similar to how the door armrest lights are always on.
The @Abstract Ocean kit added enough light for me, that I've turned off the dome lights in normal situations.
I love that you call them 'leg lights' :)

Thanks for all the great feedback on this thread....we just got more stock, it'll be another week or so before Amazon shows it though, the fulfillment process to get it to their warehouse can be rather slow. That said, Amazon is a necessary evil for us; gets lots of exposure, but being a seller is a thankless process. Any order for bulbs via our main site qualifies for free Priority Mail shipping anyway, so more or less as quick as Amazon Prime.

ultra-bright-light-in-trunk.jpgJust this week I installed the ultra-bright Bulbs (bought at Tesland.nl) and installed them in the rear trunk.
I don't have the premium lighting package installed, so originally I only had one light and that was totally not sufficient.

I heard the wires for extra lights are there, you just have to look for them. The locations for the extra lights are already visible (see one of the attached pictures) and you can just use a knife to create the holes for the lights.area-to-cut-for-lights.jpg

wires-found.jpgFor finding the wires, I had to pull the interior coating on both sides. After finding (and cutting the tape around) the wires, you can easily push back this coating.Side-coating.jpg

It was an easy installation and took me in total about 20 minutes, the light in the tailgate itself was the hardest (it doesn't release easy).

The lighting in my trunk has much improved so for people not having bought the premium light package it's a real and cheap upgrade and a must-have!

Reactions: pete8314
View attachment 222511Just this week I installed the ultra-bright Bulbs (bought at Tesland.nl) and installed them in the rear trunk.
I don't have the premium lighting package installed, so originally I only had one light and that was totally not sufficient.

I heard the wires for extra lights are there, you just have to look for them. The locations for the extra lights are already visible (see one of the attached pictures) and you can just use a knife to create the holes for the lights.View attachment 222512

View attachment 222513For finding the wires, I had to pull the interior coating on both sides. After finding (and cutting the tape around) the wires, you can easily push back this coating.View attachment 222514

It was an easy installation and took me in total about 20 minutes, the light in the tailgate itself was the hardest (it doesn't release easy).

The lighting in my trunk has much improved so for people not having bought the premium light package it's a real and cheap upgrade and a must-have!
Another very inexpensive ($4 to $10 depending whether you ship it from china and wait or opt for 2 days prime shipping), yet super effective way - install a set Amazon.com: Everbright 4-Pack Super White New Energy-saving COB 18-SMD LED Panel Dome Lamp Auto Car Interior Reading Plate Light Roof Ceiling Interior Wired Lamp With 4× BA9S Adapter,4 × T10 Adapter,4 × Festoon Adapter(31mm-41mm) (DC-12V): Automotive. We have 2 Model S, one with premium lighting and one without - I installed this in both because the difference is night and day!

TeslaTrunkLights.png

Each side has 2 of those LED's connected in parallel and to the premium lighting connectors (in the car with premium lighting, just made a pass through from the connectors that came with the kit - simple job if you know how to connect or solder couple of wires together). The LED's are just stuck on the VHB tape that comes with them under the shelf holders, no problems going on 2 years now. It's actually quite nice to have the light come from above rather than from where the OEM premium lighting would be. Also, with those on, you can't even see the light from the premium lighting LED's (the original ones).

Thanks for the description of the harness locations. After changing the frunk light first, I knew what the connector looked like. The passenger side trunk harness was fairly easy to find once you pull back the liner slightly. The right side was another story. I was looking for the harness to be closer to the hole in the felt liner. Turns out, the harness is taped up with white vinyl tape, folded over several times and found bundled under the charge port. There is a good 20 inches of wire to unfurl.
I should have done this sooner, the trunk is so poorly lit out of the factory.