Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Lighting Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you without the two side lights in your Model S trunk - I recommend you purchase and install the two side lights. I am sure like me you noticed the trunk otherwise is a dark dungeon. It is very, very easy to do and the wiring is already there! I recently read about them on Abstract Ocean's website. Ultra-Bright LED Interior Light Kit (4 Bulbs) It took me all of about 10 minutes to install them - the most difficult part being carefully pulling back the carpeting and cutting the electrical tape holding the wiring harnesses in place. I am in no means associated with them but wanted to pass along the tip.

• Love
Reactions: bmah and pete8314
Just did mine as well. The lights in the carpet were super easy but the light in the trunk hatch was a pain to get out for me. Huge difference. Also purchased the auto lift kit for the parcel shelf. I forgot how big the trunk was since I never lift the shelf up.

Do you have to have the premium upgrade package for the wire to be there or is it there regardless of the premium upgrade? I recently got my refreshed Model S and the trunk is a dark dungeon...would love to have lights on the left and right as described.

I also need to get a solution for the parcel shelf auto lifting because that's annoying too.

Reactions: Jason Shelton
You do not need the premium interior package for this to work. The wires are there whether you have the premium package or not.

If you do not have the premium package, the cutouts for where the two additional lights go are already there in the carpet liner, you just pop the cutouts out, find the wire (they're taped to other wires on the sides of the trunk behind the carpet liner), route the wire to the cutout location, plug it into the light, and seat the light into the cutout.

Be careful on the drivers side, the wire will be near the charge port. Make sure the vehicle is not charging or plugged in when you do this for maximum safety.

You do not need the premium interior package for this to work. The wires are there whether you have the premium package or not.

If you do not have the premium package, the cutouts for where the two additional lights go are already there in the carpet liner, you just pop the cutouts out, find the wire (they're taped to other wires on the sides of the trunk behind the carpet liner), route the wire to the cutout location, plug it into the light, and seat the light into the cutout.

Be careful on the drivers side, the wire will be near the charge port. Make sure the vehicle is not charging or plugged in when you do this for maximum safety.

Is there any specific place you recommend buying the two lights from? I want something nice but easy to install.

If you are buying more than one pack, you should buy directly from Abstract Ocean's site as they give a "bulk discount." I replaced the interior lights and puddle lights as well. The interior replacements in particular make a big difference
My interior lights are circles not rectangles on my 2016 MS refresh. I went with the Evannex kit for the trunk and when the under the seat brackets come in I will order through Abstract Ocean's site for the rest (1 frunk, 1 trunk, 4 feet lights).

Fyi, if you know how to perform some simple wiring, you can buy the LED panels for ~$2 each (such as here), 2 wires and and a connector, total solution adding trunk lights cost under $10 with shipping and all. For a couple of dollars more you can find the same or similar LED panels with free 2 day Amazon prime shipping so you don't have to wait for free standard shipping.