Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Lining and other Flaws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped off my car to the service center a few days ago to deal with a "few" flaws with my 2 week old Model 3. I had a paint blemish, a couple of scratches on the door sill, indentations on the dash, a pillar had a scratch, drive stalk was separating, and the lower trunk liner as all crumpled. Service technician was open to hear all of the issues and said that they will look into each one. He then went on to say the the crumpled trunk lining was a common thing and that it was due to their manufacturing process. So I get a feeling that they won't be doing anything about it. In anticipation of a "conversation" I wanted to see what other trunk linings are like.

Here's what mine looks like. Picture does not really do it justice, its much worse than it looks. It's almost like it was damaged by water.

Please post pics if yours is smooth.

Also here are the scratches on the door sill. I checked with another owner dropping off his M3 and it too had the scratches. So I wonder if this is a common thing that was done by manufacturing.

Thanks
Lower-Trunk.jpg

Scratches.jpg

Last edited:
Does it smell musky at all? I read of one person who's trunk had flooded with water before delivery and another poster saying he saw some in the lot with open trunks. That looks bad, I'd personally be requesting it be fixed regardless if they think it's within scope.

No smell, but its really bumpy. Hence I was hoping I could get a bunch of photos from this forum to show them to say it is NOT normal.
The one I rented for a day certainly didn’t look anything like that.

I wouldn’t consider that acceptable on a $50K+ new car.

Have the tech walk you over to some other random cars awaiting delivery and prove they look the same.

Got a call to pick up my car this afternoon. The replaced the trunk liner! But it was still all crumpled. Less, but still crumpled. The service rep told me that thats the way it came and after a review of the Model 3 in the showroom, it was clear that mine was pretty bad. They said they would order another unit in.

On the rich side, the fixed all of my other issues except one.

• Paint blemish on the trunk - Repainted
  • Couple of scratches on the door sill - Repainted
  • Indentations on the dash - Replaced the wood
  • A pillar had a scratch - Replaced the A pillar cover
  • Drive stalk was separating -Replaced the stalk
  • Front cover for 12V Battey broken - Parts on order
  • Rear bumper gap - was not addressed. They said it was within spec.

One other interesting thing a technician told me when I said I found the car noisy was that the foam that is supposed to be in the tires is not there. He said that he has replaced a few tires and in both the 18" and 19" tires for the model 3, there was no foam in the tire. Said that it was not provided by the manufacturer yet.

Anyone else hear this? Or can anyone confirm that they've see the foam?

I doubt many people here will take their tire off their wheel to confirm this for you. I'm sorry you've had such a headache.

Oh sorry that’s not what I was asking. I was asking If anyone knew if there was foam in the tires thinking that those who may have swapped out their OEM wheels for aftermarket ones and removed the TPMS’ S would have seen if there was a foam in the tires

Dropped off my car to the service center a few days ago to deal with a "few" flaws with my 2 week old Model 3. I had a paint blemish, a couple of scratches on the door sill, indentations on the dash, a pillar had a scratch, drive stalk was separating, and the lower trunk liner as all crumpled. Service technician was open to hear all of the issues and said that they will look into each one. He then went on to say the the crumpled trunk lining was a common thing and that it was due to their manufacturing process. So I get a feeling that they won't be doing anything about it. In anticipation of a "conversation" I wanted to see what other trunk linings are like.

Here's what mine looks like. Picture does not really do it justice, its much worse than it looks. It's almost like it was damaged by water.

Please post pics if yours is smooth.

Also here are the scratches on the door sill. I checked with another owner dropping off his M3 and it too had the scratches. So I wonder if this is a common thing that was done by manufacturing.

Thanks
View attachment 322437

View attachment 322438
What's your VIN?

This fits perfectly for $16. Wish they made a nice trunk well liner that was more like a big bucket.

EPHome Extra Large Multipurpose Silicone Nonstick Pastry Mat, Heat Resistant Nonskid Table Mat, Countertop Protector, 23.6 X 15.75

Link: http://a.co/dd9WteE

They have like 7 colors too;
  • Top Quality Extra Large Versatile Silicone Mat, Fondant Mat, Pastry Mat, Silicone Table Mat, Countertop Protector, protecting countertops and ranges from scratches, burn and other things, ideal for food prep and serving, approximately 23.6*15.75inch
  • Made of Durable 100% Food Grade Silicone, Antibacterial, Heat resistant protection of a range between -40 to 482 degrees Fahrenheit. FDA certified. BPA free
  • Perfect surface protector, mess collector, such as table mat, placemat, dab mat, drawer mat, countertop mat for its natural electrostatic adherence, nonskid, antibacterial and heat-resistant feature. It also protects your staff on it from sliding. Nonstick surface, super easy to clean and dishwasher safe. Waterproof, super flexible and durable. Available to cut the mat to fit different sizes and shapes
  • “Toddler Resistant”, a good solution for your little messy eater with great appetite, big enough to catch the mess and a breeze to clean up. It’s also a Play-Doh playground, ideal for playing modeling clay. Search “B01MTJU72R” for the kids’ all-in-one silicone mat in the image
  • Super versatile, you can also use it as mat for rolling/kneading dough. Recommend a multicolored purchase, multiple colors provide different mood and atmosphere, great adding to your living environment

Last edited: