Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk vs Frunk which is more secure in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
How do people feel about the security of the Model Y Frunk? Or any Tesla for that matter.

My understanding is that most break ins target the trunk and the frunk is often overlooked. The often bemoaned hack of opening the frunk with a 12V battery has been patched... it will only work if the car is unlocked or the 12V starter battery (or lithium starter battery) is completely dead.

I have a few somewhat valuable items I will be leaving in the car periodically and am thinking that these days the Frunk is actually a safer location than the trunk.

Reactions: David Sowden
I would say Glovebox is most secure followed by Frunk, then trunk.

Frunk has a definite advantage in that it is invisible. If they can see into your car and there is nothing valuable visible they are less likely to break in. The cargo cover might help with that as well. With the glovebox, they have to break a window, then essentially tear apart your dashboard. Seems like it is very secure.

Neither. I live with the assumption that my car may be broken into at any time. I do not assume my car is secure at all. I lived in a city for a while. My cars were broken into many times. A couple times in broad daylight in front of nearby buildings with people coming and going. Thieves generally break into a car when they see something that looks valuable. And they want to be quick. Never leave anything in sight.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and Rqcg
Depends on your definition of secure and what you’re trying to protect against.

There is no “quick” way to access the frunk (e.g. “break the glass”) so it’s much less vulnerable to opportunistic smash-and-grab sort of theft. If that’s your concern I’d definitely use the frunk.

If it’s a more targeted action, as in someone knows there is something of value to be had and is going to go after it, then it really doesn’t matter, they’ll get what they want.

Reactions: android04
I would say Glovebox is most secure followed by Frunk, then trunk.

Frunk has a definite advantage in that it is invisible. If they can see into your car and there is nothing valuable visible they are less likely to break in. The cargo cover might help with that as well. With the glovebox, they have to break a window, then essentially tear apart your dashboard. Seems like it is very secure.
My understanding is that at least pre sentry mode thieves in high crime areas like SF were breaking into the trunk just to see what was in it. To the point that people were leaving windows down just to avoid the property damage.

Neither. I live with the assumption that my car may be broken into at any time. I do not assume my car is secure at all. I lived in a city for a while. My cars were broken into many times. A couple times in broad daylight in front of nearby buildings with people coming and going. Thieves generally break into a car when they see something that looks valuable. And they want to be quick. Never leave anything in sight.
This is just not realistic for a lot of people. Even a MacBook computer costs thousands of dollars and there will be times it’s not practical to take it with you.

What I will agree with is that if people see you putting items away that dramatically increases your risk.

The frunk is the safest as there is no way to access it with the car locked unless someone is using a pry bar and that takes time. Most break-ins are quick, they aren’t going to stand there trying to pry open a frunk.
For those freaked out about using the frunk, get over it. Closing it isn’t rocket science.

Frunk! I installed the power frunk and can’t live without it. I open my frunk probably 5-7x daily on a busy day running errand. I keep all my take out in there, gym bag and my backpack with gears. and I lived in the SF bay area where I see broken glass all the time!

liked many others, Im afraid to dent the hood without the power frunk. Until u experienc the power frunk, u wont understand how useful it is compared to the trunk.

This is just not realistic for a lot of people. Even a MacBook computer costs thousands of dollars and there will be times it’s not practical to take it with you.

What I will agree with is that if people see you putting items away that dramatically increases your risk.
The easy button is that never leave anything in sight in a car. Assume that if something of value is visible, it will be stolen. So, both are equally secure if a bad actor does not think there is something valuable. But, if you park and someone sees you put a computer in a frunk or trunk, consider it insecure.

Frunk! I installed the power frunk and can’t live without it. I open my frunk probably 5-7x daily on a busy day running errand. I keep all my take out in there, gym bag and my backpack with gears. and I lived in the SF bay area where I see broken glass all the time!

liked many others, Im afraid to dent the hood without the power frunk. Until u experienc the power frunk, u wont understand how useful it is compared to the trunk.
I agree the power frunk has a lot of utility. Still not going to install an aftermarket solution like that in my brand new car.

I got my MYLR in October. I installed my automatic frunk opener last week. Give it time. It is awesome!
If the power frunk is so amazingly awesome then I am at a loss on why Tesla has not made it a standard feature. I am also fairly handy but after watching a few install vids of the power frunk I'm not sure I want to do that with a brand new still under warranty vehicle.

Reactions: Wattsisname