Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk water diverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems some people have been complaining about water draining into the trunk. The vendors in China have been listening and now you can buy a diverter that looks like a tiny spoiler. Ebay seems to be the cheapest at US$37 while Aliexpress vendors are charging up to US$90.

s-l1600.jpg

For Tesla Model 3 18-19 Gloss Black Trunk Spoiler Cover Water Retaining Wing | eBay

It's kind of interesting, not so much for water diversion, but how it might actually affect the airflow. A little flipup like that, may actually help the laminar flow, keeping the airflow closer to the rear glass and trunk. It'll never get stuck in a windtunnel, so we'll never know.

would it make more sense to make the rubber gasket under the window taller? not really sure how you'd access/replace it as I haven't played around with the idea, but if it had a taller profile, the trunk would hide it and it would accomplish the same thing?

I saw one in person the other day at a supercharging station. it stood out immediately to me. I wonder if they could have made it less prominent. If I got rid of the dust shield on the windshield, I think the water would be go into the tracks just fine but then it creates a gap when the trunk is closed...
D7528562-B271-43B8-B066-D9DC7B7AFE01_1_105_c.jpeg