Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk won’t open; latch stuck. Manual release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd problem today. My trunk registers as open but is closed. Opening through the screen or back access makes sounds but it seems the latch won’t release.
Is there a manual release on the y for the trunk?

I’ve tried a reset and pushing pulling while opening. It’s drivable but the car won’t lock and beeps annoyingly for a while.

Looks like someone revived an old thread. :rolleyes:

For anyone with this problem, I'd drop the rear seats and crawl back there with a flashlight. Should be a release there somewhere. I know the frunk one is lit. Possibly the rear is as well.

I'd consult the online owners manual first to save you time in tight quarters.

OTOH, do you need to go back there? You might not be able to service it yourself. If it's closed and stays closed, there's that benefit, opposed to now it's open and won't latch.

I'd put a service request in.

I think I have a similar problem. I have a 2016 S 90 D. This would be the second time this happened and had to replace the latch. What happens is I close the trunk with the button but the car says it is open. I loose FSD, AP and Cruise. If I get out and open the trunk and slam it it sys it is closed. This does not always happen, like when I bring it to service and they cannot reproduce the problem but I drive home and it happens again. One thing I noticed is that the noise you hear when you close with the button is no longer happening. I believe it is the cinch actuator so I assume it is no longer latching. I am getting ready to go on a 1500 mile trip and I am afraid it will happen and I will not be able to use AP. I heard there is a easy way to make the car think the trunk is closed even if it is not, Can anyone explain how?