Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to claim ownership on Tesla website, but keeps saying “unable to process, try again later”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought a used 2017 Tesla Model S 90D from Vroom, and am trying to claim ownership on Tesla.com. I attach the Bill of Sale, and photos of my driver’s license. And everytime it says “unable to process, please try again later.” It’s been like this for the past 2 days. I also need to schedule some service too but it seems Tesla doesn’t take phone calls and everything has to go through the app.

Any help would be appreciated.

52B6EA47-A9CE-4AEF-A1CA-864E936CE321.jpeg

FYI: Last I heard Tesla won't accept a bill of sale, since they can easily be faked. You have to provide a official title or registration document. (Not that that is related to your problem.)

I wish the third-party dealers would properly register the car with Tesla so that they could just login to the Tesla site and transfer ownership to you on the spot. But they probably don't want to deal with anything special just for Tesla vehicles. (They should have the person they bought the car from transfer it to their account.)

go to tesla.com, browse the new or used car sales area for about 30 seconds, then a chat window will appear. Use that to chat with a tesla employee and explain your issue
Thanks 2101Guy, tried going this route and they gave me the 1 (888) 518-3752 number, which just routes me around again.

Anyone know if the website has had this problem before with trying to claim a vehicle?

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
i also brought my MX from Vroom, and have the similar problem with the website, but it is telling me that my mileage and VIN dont match, i was able to chat with someone through tesla website, gave them my email, now i am going through the process with email instead of tesla.com

i also brought my MX from Vroom, and have the similar problem with the website, but it is telling me that my mileage and VIN dont match, i was able to chat with someone through tesla website, gave them my email, now i am going through the process with email instead of tesla.com
Oh glad, I’m not the only one. Do you mind sharing the email address that Tesla gave you to communicate with them?

Thanks again TCMX! You’re a life saver. Was about 2nd guess my Tesla purchase from Vroom.
So tried to go your route, and would never have thought a customer support email would go unmonitored!

when did Tesla customer support become this bad?

Any other ideas folks?

Attachments

• 7B5D8B4A-75A3-4922-8537-5C9C3708CA13.jpeg
    7B5D8B4A-75A3-4922-8537-5C9C3708CA13.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 772
i did not get that automatic message when i reply to that email, i would try to "chat" with a Representative.
Did the subject line of your email have a number or identifier on it? Likely somewhere in the email you got there's a tracker that updates their ticketing system. Just random emails into that email likely get that kick back. Just a guess though.

Did the subject line of your email have a number or identifier on it? Likely somewhere in the email you got there's a tracker that updates their ticketing system. Just random emails into that email likely get that kick back. Just a guess though.
I think this may be the case. I went ahead and did a Tesla.com chat with someone, who then emailed me and the subject line did have a ref ID on it.

Sent my docs, and license via email. Hopefully turnaround time isn’t too long, but who knows these days.

Reactions: doubleshot
So I went @TCMX route with chat, and then send documentation via email yesterday. Received an email today that the car was added to my account. Thank you all for your assistance.

Now a new problem... they removed the Enhanced Autopilot that was on the car. Now it just says Autopilot on the main screen. Ugh.

Now a new problem... they removed the Enhanced Autopilot that was on the car. Now it just says Autopilot on the main screen. Ugh.

Where did Vroom get the car from? If they bought it from Tesla, i.e. at auction, EAP was likely "removed" before the auction. (It is just that the car doesn't get updated to know that until the next owner registers it with Tesla, which Vroom doesn't do.) If Vroom bought it from a private party then EAP should have likely stayed. (But possibly not if the original owner hadn't paid for it but it had gotten activated on the car accidentally, which happened a number of times.) Did Vroom advertise that it had EAP, or did you just assume it based on what was reported on screen in the car?

I wish third party dealers would register the car with Tesla and/or Tesla would force those updates immediately to avoid these issues.

Does anyone know what sort of disclosures are given on Teslas sent to auction by Tesla? Is it clearly stated what software packages are or are not included with the car regardless of what may be displaying on the screen? If this is not clearly disclosed and/or commonly known what Tesla removes then Tesla should be more proactive in removing software from cars before sending them to auction.

There's already enough confusion out there about some of the software packages like "Full Self Driving Capability", , even among long-time Tesla owners and enthusiasts,. Adding uncertainty as to what is or isn;'t included (on auction cars) only adds to the confusion.