Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to figure out bird poo with XPEL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

outdoors

🌲🛶⛺️🏔♻︎🙂
Supporting Member
I had my S wrapped upon delivery. Trying to figure out a little bird poo issue. Got a purple one today front hood. Drove home. Moistened area with Expel cleaner and removed. However I am getting a raised surface that does not go away. It is almost as if the area of the film has changed in its makeup. Just the outline if the bird stuff not the area sprayed. I have given up. Not wanting to fingernail it. Sat for 3 hours in call it 45 degree weather.

Again the substance of the stuff is gone. Just wondering is this normal for Expel. I know birds can be caustic with the leave behinds. Looking for suggestions. bird1.jpg Bird2.jpg

I have used light polishing compound on XPel to remove some pretty decent scratches, would probably work on that. First choice would be take it back to installer and get them to take care of it though.

that seems wrong. I have had poop on my PPF (Opti-Coat PPF) sit for a day or two, it then cleans up just fine. Did you have your PPF ceramic coated? I think most folks do, but if not, perhaps that is the issue... direct caustic poop on unprotected PPF??

I also look forward to what you learn.

Reactions: Yvan@OptiCoat
Sorry to see that blemish. We use XPEL and other films and first off, all the films would have etched like that, so its not product failure or quality issue or a warranty claim. We have seen it before and my only consolation it that its not in the factory paint. ( Although maybe if the etching was in the paint you could wet sand and polish it out.)

Ideally, the film is a sacrificial layer that can be removed and replaced. There are a variety of environmental issues that can damage the film if left on there too long, or if its a real hot day and the bird turd is highly acidic. If you cant live with the stain, its simple fix, just have the hood piece replaced. Its only money, and your installer might cut you a break on replacing it.. The consequences of not having the film at the time of the crime would have probably required a repaint the hood, you would be much sadder and visiting a body shop. Ultimately, IF YOU CANT LIVE WITH IT, you are in a better situation economically to replace the film.

I hope I am cheering you up a bit. It's about perspective.

On member mentioned the application of a ceramic coating over the film. Ceramic coatings are the best way to protect the paint from alkaline and acidic matter. It is very durable and might have reduced the amount of etching that occurred or at best prevented it. Some brands include CQuartz, Ceramicpro,

Please update us on their response. Considering Xpel as well, and that does not bode well. Perhaps @XPEL will chime in here...

Joe,

You're reading our minds as we are here to help.

I had my S wrapped upon delivery. Trying to figure out a little bird poo issue. Got a purple one today front hood. Drove home. Moistened area with Expel cleaner and removed. However I am getting a raised surface that does not go away. It is almost as if the area of the film has changed in its makeup. Just the outline if the bird stuff not the area sprayed. I have given up. Not wanting to fingernail it. Sat for 3 hours in call it 45 degree weather.

Again the substance of the stuff is gone. Just wondering is this normal for XPEL. I know birds can be caustic with the leave behinds. Looking for suggestions. View attachment 263380 View attachment 263381

Thank-you for getting your Model S wrapped in XPEL. Let's get this poo issue figured out. Since the surface is already cleaned using the cleaner and it's still there, it makes me wonder if it's a scratch or etch in the film itself from the bird dropping. Try pouring very hot water onto the corner to see if it will self-heal. It sat outside for 3 hours but 45 degrees isn't quite warm enough to heal some things. If the warm water doesn't work, then take it back to your installer and have them inspect it. If they can't clear it up then rest assured knowing XPEL will make it right and have them replace the entire hood free of charge as per the warranty. Thank-you for your patience and please keep us posted on the thread. You can also email me directly if you prefer.

Regards,

Michael Dobbins
XPEL Marketing Manager
[email protected]

Joe,

Thank-you for your patience and please keep us posted on the thread. You can also email me directly if you prefer.

Regards,

Michael Dobbins
XPEL Marketing Manager
[email protected]

Michael,

Thanks so much for your help and followup. This forum with its helpful vendors and owners makes it great to be a Tesla owner.

Very impressed with the Expel product. I have a gallon of the sealant. Have applied twice since getting car. Sorry Opticoat users. I had to draw the line at some price point.

The film really does transform before your eyes. One minute blemish there. One minute gone. I have to think it would have done some serious paint damage without film.

So my two cents. Anyone debating. Just do the whole car. Best decision I ever made car care wise.

Reactions: XPEL
Joe,

You're reading our minds as we are here to help.

Thank-you for getting your Model S wrapped in XPEL. Let's get this poo issue figured out. Since the surface is already cleaned using the cleaner and it's still there, it makes me wonder if it's a scratch or etch in the film itself from the bird dropping. Try pouring very hot water onto the corner to see if it will self-heal. It sat outside for 3 hours but 45 degrees isn't quite warm enough to heal some things. If the warm water doesn't work, then take it back to your installer and have them inspect it. If they can't clear it up then rest assured knowing XPEL will make it right and have them replace the entire hood free of charge as per the warranty. Thank-you for your patience and please keep us posted on the thread. You can also email me directly if you prefer.

Regards,

Michael Dobbins
XPEL Marketing Manager
[email protected]

This makes me so happy to see.

I have a 5-day appointment coming December 13 to get my X wrapped fully with XPEL Ultimate (and tinted).

This gives me 100% confidence in my decision to use XPEL.

I bought Suntek Ultra, so did not get ceramic over it, in contrast to the basic Suntek. But I did apply Speedshine to the film per recommendation in the warranty sheet, which says: Wax once or twice a year with a non-abrasive wax for added protection to maintain gloss. To me, it is unclear to what extent that would protect the PPF though. Good to hear jelloslug say his issue self-resolved in a few days.

This makes me so happy to see.

I have a 5-day appointment coming December 13 to get my X wrapped fully with XPEL Ultimate (and tinted).

This gives me 100% confidence in my decision to use XPEL.

Thank-you for choosing XPEL to protect the Model X. A common area on the X's to protect are the seat backs as they can come painted and can be prone to scratches. Let us know if you have any questions and please send us some images when complete as we'll be more than happy to share them on our Facebook page.

I bought Suntek Ultra, so did not get ceramic over it, in contrast to the basic Suntek. But I did apply Speedshine to the film per recommendation in the warranty sheet, which says: Wax once or twice a year with a non-abrasive wax for added protection to maintain gloss. To me, it is unclear to what extent that would protect the PPF though. Good to hear jelloslug say his issue self-resolved in a few days.

This goes for any paint protection film, but adding a wax/sealant on top of the film will have the same effect as it would putting it on your paint. It helps maintain an extra layer of protection making it easier to clean, give it a deeper gloss and a better shine. Ceramic coatings take that one step further and add even more protection with hydrophobic qualities.

Just be sure never to use anything with any petroleum distillates on any paint protection film such as naphtha or kerosene. Some waxes can have these chemicals in them and exposure over time could cause film to stain. So be sure to check the bottle for ingredients.

Sounds like XPEL will cover the damage under warranty if it doesnt self heal. :) I would jump on that because the bird turd is an "act of God" and not normally a part of a free warranty replacement.

If it doesn't disappear, contact the original installer and get him in the loop with what Mr. Dobbins has approved. ( " If they can't clear it up then rest assured knowing XPEL will make it right and have them replace the entire hood free of charge as per the warranty". ) I say this because the most installers would know the warranty doesn't normally cover bird turd etching in the film. He may not just take your word for it. He/She will want to know they can get paid for that kind or damage.

Its very solid Tesla customer service loyalty for XPEL to step up like that. Good job Mr. Dobbins.

Michael Dobbins
XPEL Marketing Manager
[email protected]

Good Luck.

It's my understanding reading outdoors' (OP) 3 posts with photos included that he was able to get the bird dropping removed, was concerned about the bumped area of film the droppings created on the Xpel; but after taking the car to his installer, they heated the area up and now there's no indication a bird ever did the dirty deed on his car. Proof in the photos he posted. Case closed it sounds like.

BTW we did a full body wrap of Ultimate on our car and feel it was worth the cost as we plan to keep the car for many years. Bee poop also comes off. Been seeing a lot of that recently with the colder weather.

So I couldn't help myself had to have them fix it ASAP. Heatgun for 45 seconds at installer. Motor City Auto Spa. Just like new. Now a Xpel lifer. He said it would have healed, but cold weather slows process.
Thanks for starting this thread. I had the same problem earlier today. The bird poo had probably sat on the Suntek film for 8+ hours. I didn't realize this until I came home from work. I used the no-rinse carwash solution to clean it off but I couldn't remove the stain. After reading your post, I took the hairdryer and heated the area up for 30 seconds and stain completely disappeared.