Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really wondering whether to sell all, 50 % or none off my stocks. I bought all of my stocks at a higher price, so I would loose quite a bit of money selling now. What do you think? Will an official statement from TM make the stock drop, or has the market already reacted to the known delays? I think a lot of investors expected TM to get some problems delivering 5000 cars, so maybe it won't affect the stock price at all...

I'm really wondering whether to sell all, 50 % or none off my stocks. I bought all of my stocks at a higher price, so I would loose quite a bit of money selling now. What do you think? Will an official statement from TM make the stock drop, or has the market already reacted to the known delays? I think a lot of investors expected TM to get some problems delivering 5000 cars, so maybe it won't affect the stock price at all...
They are expected to announce a supercharger system sometime in September, it might be a good time to sell in the lead up to the event if you need to.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've sold a Tesla stock. Actually it's the first time I've sold a stock all my life.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla gave us the bad news at the same time as some good news. They might wait for the supercharger announcement before they released any news about the delay. That way investors wouldn't loose confidence and the stock would probably not dip at all

Seems to me if there is a supply problem with a door handle, they can continue building cars and finish the door handles when the parts arrive. Since their current build rate is below the target finishing and delivering these cars should not be terribly hard to manage.

A relevant question may be "How much warehouse space do they have for storing cars that are done, except for the door handles?" That is, assuming the door handles are the only problem.

So how bad is TSLA going to tank when they reach their production targets? I have a feeling this stock is going way down by the end of this year. Lower 20s possibly?

??? you think it will tank when they reach production targets?
The car beats all of the #s they have been saying.
When they hit production targets and the 'real' buyers have a chance at buying one with in a couple of months Tesla will rule the road (quietly)
If the stock hits that low I would consider a loan to buy some more along with my car

??? you think it will tank when they reach production targets?
The car beats all of the #s they have been saying.
When they hit production targets and the 'real' buyers have a chance at buying one with in a couple of months Tesla will rule the road (quietly)
If the stock hits that low I would consider a loan to buy some more along with my car

I assume he meant "don't reach" production targets.

No problem then, I don't think that will be happening anytime soon

So you think they're going to hit their stated 5,000 units by the end of this year? We've already had confirmation from various TMC members saying that their delivery date has been pushed back and delayed. If deliveries are being pushed back then we can assume that there's a decent possibility that TSLA doesn't meet their production numbers.

Long-term I don't (hope) think this will affect Tesla but short term I think if they miss their production targets it'll definitely cause the stock to fall.

Agree with Robert that the analysts are already skeptical; but the test will be whether they are disappointed with the actual results (that's what spooks them & the market). My WAG is that anything ~4,000 and upwards will be fine and anything below ~3,500 will be viewed as a fail. Don't forget that everyone is looking for Tesla to produce 20,000 (or more) cars next year; the question will be asked how that is possible if they can't produce 3,500 in the first 6 months?

FWIW, I'm optimistic but I'm just hypothesizing some market reaction.

Don't forget that everyone is looking for Tesla to produce 20,000 (or more) cars next year; the question will be asked how that is possible if they can't produce 3,500 in the first 6 months?

It seems to come back to the same point. Even then, if the rate will rise to 1,700 per month by the end of the year, and if Tesla can convince that that this will be the continuous rate, this may indicate to most that 20,000 will be produced in 2013. OTOH, if the total volume reached at the end of 2012 won't be as high, the Q4 financial results won't look as good. In that situation, what will the market consider more important?

Status
Not open for further replies.