Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm perhaps not reading this correctly, but the numbers for G.A.J. don't seem to add up between March and May.

Probably many have stock options that don't appear on that table unless they are exercised, and except for the H. Kohler number (which was, I think, the one that was in the news and seemed to go back and forth), to me it looks like always. JB for example is usually selling some amount. It's probably income for them, not so much investment.

Yea, it was amusing in the investors meeting (or maybe it was the printed report) where it says they pay Elon the California required minimum wage and he then turns around and refuses it.

Definitely reinforces the fact he's fully committed.

Umm... it may be different in Elon's case but, in general, I view the "I, the CEO, am taking home a salary of just $1" with a healthy dose of skepticism having experienced this with not-so-committed CEOs in the past.

At their income level, CEOs will keep little of any W2 wages and are obviously far better off with the (taxes-fixed-at-15%) long term capital gains from stock option sales.

That sounds like it would be fun to read (or listen to). You wouldn't happen to have a link to where I could find that, would you?
Edit: found a copy at http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/0x0xS1193125-12-162563/1318605/filing.pdf

The bit about compensation is on page 22 and reads:
Our CEO continues to work for an annual base salary of $33,280, consistent with minimum wage requirements under California
law, and still accepts only $1 in salary.

Our other executive officers’ salaries increased by a range of 4.0% to 6.0% in order to align them more closely with comparable
post-IPO companies.

We have no cash bonus program for any of our named executive officers.

Our compensation program is still predominantly in the form of stock options, including performance-based awards, designed to
promote long-term stockholder interests.

We have limited severance provisions providing for continued salary or other benefits upon termination of an executive officer’s
employment with us.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That is interesting. As I have said before I know less than zero about options. Is there a link where I could read about puts?

It would be blocks of 100 shares so $400 for each put?

If share price is over $24 I am "In the money" and have the option to buy by paying another $20 a share or $2,000 for 100 shares?

If share price is under $24 I am "Out of the money" and can get my $400 back for each put and go home.

Is that right???

Not exactly - basically you are selling an obligation. If the stock is below $28/share you will need to give the holder of the putoption $28 per share ($2800). Since he paid you $4 per share for this guarantee, your net cost is $24/share. He bought a guaranteed minimum sale price, if the stock stays above 28 the holder of the putoption will not exercise his option (since he can get more on the open market). At the December end date your obligation ends and you keep the $400 free and clear.

You can always close you position early, but that is where it gets complicated ;-). I'm not an expert, but think what I have said is correct. I have primarily bought calls in the past.

DaveVA: You can always close you position early, but that is where it gets complicated ;-).

NO, THAT'S WHERE IT GETS EASY: You buy the option (hopefully you set a limit price). Your buying the option cancells the option you sold in the first place. NIL - Nothing - Nada. Your profit is the difference between the 4$ you got and whatever you have to pay to buy the option.

If the price of the underlying goes down a lot, than the put option will go up and you might take a loss, because you would have to pay a lot more that 4$ to buy the option. Likewise if you just sit it out, you will have to buy the underlying for 28$ even if you could buy them on the market for a lot less. You also lose.

If the price of the underlying stays the same, then you profit from the time decay of the option. Options tend to lose in value as time goes by.

DaveVa: I'm not an expert, but think what I have said is correct. I have primarily bought calls in the past.

I hope you are not risking your shirt. Please play it safe until you are an expert. I read that about 80 % of the people are loosing money with options. Please be careful and control your risk.

Last edited:
Edit: Just called Scott Trade and was told I can not play...:mad:... probably did me a favor...

Yeah, you need to start with Level 1 trading. That's the ability to sell Covered Calls. That's usually considered safe, since what you're doing is taking some money up front (by selling the Calls) for the obligation to sell the stock if it reaches the "Strike Price." You can only sell the calls if you already own the stock. So, it's kind of like a delayed sell on stock you already own.

Let's take TSLA as an example. Let's say you bought a few months back at $28. You decide you want to take some profits if the stock bumps up again. You could just put in a Sell Limit order for, say, $38, and wait to Tesla to hit that. If it does, you get $10 profit. If it doesn't no harm, no foul. Anyone can do this.

But, if you instead sold the Sept $38 Call, today you would have gotten $0.90/share. If the stock doesn't reach $38 by Sept 22, 2012, then you keep that $0.90. If it does hit $38, then most likely the person who bought the call would want to exercise it, which means he'll buy your shares at $38. Now your profit is $10.90 instead of $10 without the call. So, either way it's a win-win, which is why it's the first step in options trading.

It's not all roses, though. The downside with selling Covered Calls is that you're agreeing today to sell the stock when it hits that price. If the stock continues to rise past that price, you won't get that additional money. But, you're not going to lose any money, you're just potentially not going to make as much. Another downside is that while you can cancel your limit order at any time without consequence, to "cancel" the Covered Calls means you have to buy them back. If the stock has risen in the meantime (even if it's not yet at the strike price), you'll pay more to buy those Calls back than you sold them for.

Anyway, if you want to play, you need to start out small and safe(ish). See about getting Level 1 trading to sell covered calls on stock you own.

Status
Not open for further replies.