Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of investing in general.... I've come to realize that, in general, if you find a really profitable company with a great future, it's probably privately held. (Why would they share the profits if they don't have to?) The exceptions are capital-intensive companies (like Tesla) which need a lot of investors, and companies where the founders are trying to cash out -- and I don't really think the latter group are good long-term investments.

Interesting. The talking heads are saying that some tech stocks where sold off so that Facebook shares could be bought. Makes a lot of sense with what we saw with TSLA today. Big volume in the early hours then it leveled off.
That makes a lot of sense. I don't think it's a wise move (selling TSLA to buy Facebook) but it seems like a good explanation for the price move. I would not touch FB. But then, I don't like FB and I'm not on FB.

FB is hovering around 15 cents above their $38 IPO. I wonder if it will go below $38 today?

Nope, but only because Morgan Stanley kept it on life support: Morgan Stanley made big bet on Facebook - Yahoo! News

As a result, Morgan Stanley may have spent billions of dollars to support the stock price by buying shares in the market. Some market participants said that the underwriters had to absorb mountains of stock to defend the $38 level and keep the market from dipping below it.
Morgan Stanley declined to comment.

I watched at the end of the day as it dropped asymptotically toward $38. It was going between $38 and $38.02 madly in an obvious high-speed trade war. I wouldn't be surprised if they spent BILLIONS trying to prop it up as people jumped ship, realizing it wasn't going to be the easy day trade profit it was assumed to be.

Commercial space vehicle launch aborted

Well Dragon is still on the launch pad and the stock did not go down. Oh it's Saturday ....

Tuesday or Wednesday now in the middle of the trading week. Feel more concerned about SpaceX's success in general than with Tesla's. Showing the world that EVs can be cool, fun yet practical is one thing; opening up the space frontier in a relatively-affordable, red-tape-less way is a whole other ball game!

I don't think the SpaceX delay will affect TSLA. Space launches always have delays. NASA was always delaying launches. I'm sure the Russians delay launches. It's in the nature of the beast. Even if (heaven forbid!) the mission failed, I don't think TSLA would be affected. Apparently they had a one-second launch window. It would have been surprising if they had been able to make that.

I do expect TSLA to continue to be a wild roller-coaster ride. Some time after the S is in full production, I expect it to climb, but I expect that climb to be superimposed over the same wild fluctuations as we see now, with general market forces, or the selling of shares by some big fund, or some bit of news, or nothing at all causing it to go way up and down. But up overall with the success of the S and then the X and then Bluestar (which I suppose they'll end up releasing as the Model B -- for all their engineering genius, they lack imagination in the selection of model names).

Speaking of investing in general.... I've come to realize that, in general, if you find a really profitable company with a great future, it's probably privately held. (Why would they share the profits if they don't have to?) The exceptions are capital-intensive companies (like Tesla) which need a lot of investors, and companies where the founders are trying to cash out -- and I don't really think the latter group are good long-term investments.

Levis Strauss was private then public and went private again.

So was Guitar Center. Bain provided them with a leveraged buyout to go back to private from public, which was in some ways a scam by the majority stockholders who wanted to cash out after jacking up their stock's price through a form of manipulation. They ended up with a $650M loan. The company still owes the full principal, many years later, and from what I've heard, they've also accumulated another $1.3B in debt.

If anything, the data acquisition and the timely error trap of the excess pressure in Merlin engine 5 and quick discovery of the root cause (faulty check valve) makes me more confident about Tesla. Certainly SpaceX technology is finding its way into Tesla, through conduit known as Elon Musk.

Status
Not open for further replies.