Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just wrong.

• [*=left]Many people who buy expensive things are cheap.
    [*=left]The car is $49,000 if desired. It's not a Roadster.

He DID say 100k. If you're stretching to fit into 49k entry level, you're not buying 100k cars. I'm with citizen on this one. if you're buying at the top tier of the Tesla lineup, you're not likely to be worrying about saving $xk over y miles.

Sorry, guess I should have been more specific. AnOutsider captured my meaning the best: individuals that are in the premium car market, are (on the average) less sensitive to small fluctuations in the price of gas (in my example a 25 cent change).

I am 100% on board with the thesis that the long-term march to $8 or $10 or $20 or whatever number you want to use makes EVs more attractive to larger groups of people, I was just making a snarky comment about traders that buy and sell TSLA and other alternative transportation stocks because oil went from $100 to $95 this week (again, use whatever small increments you want here).

The original question is:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Mile Erlic viewpost-right.png

How relevant is the price of gas to the success of Tesla? Is a de-coupling about to occur?

The question asks about the success of "Tesla" .

Tesla sells a single car that ranges from $49,000 to +$100K When I am standing next to a Roadster and tell someone that Tesla now has a new car coming out I stress that the new sedan base price is HALF the cost of Roadster -because it can be. This is important. Tesla is working at making electric cars more affordable and portraying the Model S a $100K car is off-message.

For those stretching to buy a $49K Tesla because a Leaf does not do it for them then gasoline prices are very likely to be part of their decision

True, it'll matter a lot more to the Gen3 buyers a few years from now. Especially if Tesla can create a little "equivalent monthly expenses" app that shows the Gen3 versus an ICE. Something like:

Lease/payment = EV $X1, ICE X2
Fuel = $Y1, Y2
Total = $Z1, Z2

People will be able to quickly see the monthly expense for an EV is at least on par. They could do that now, but as you said, it's perhaps not as big a factor right now, particularly for the early adopters buying the more expensive 85kWh Model S.
I'll bet there's someone reading this who could create such an app. I'm not that person. But it would be a great idea.

Back to main topic... TSLA dipping back to under $30 today. Is this the "newness" of the delivery announcements wearing off? Am going to be very interested in how prices react after those June and into July deliveries take place.
It really seems as though when there's a sharp rise, it rises too much and then settles back, and when there's a sharp drop, it drops too much and then bounces back. (By "too much" I mean more than the market wants to settle at for the time being.)

That's just how it looks to me. I don't understand the market. I only bought TSLA because I love my car and I think Tesla is doing good for the nation and the world.

Not to get Facebook into the thread again, but...

Cars for Facebook billionaires (yes, they're still rich) - Tesla Model S (2) - CNNMoney

Due out soon, the Tesla Model S would allow a Facebook billionaire to "shop local" while also keeping it green. Tesla headquarters is just a short drive away and the Model S runs purely on electricity. And, with prices starting at under $60,000, it will be only moderately pricey.

Also, it's got a huge touch-screen inside with full Web access. That way, Facebookers can keep up on all their friends' updates even while driving, should they choose to. We hope they'll pull over first, though.

I'll bet there's someone reading this who could create such an app. I'm not that person. But it would be a great idea.....

It may exist. Leaf, Coda, BMW, Volt, I, etc. owners also have an interest in such an app and may have created it. The EVlogger app team might be perfect for it.

Great if it could access and display TSLA stock on the readout.

Also access Gasbuddy or similar to show exact current rate of savings to share with people asking "But doesn't your electric bill go up?

I'm up $480 now. Of course, that's silly because I haven't really made anything unless I sell, which I'm not going to do. But it's cool that I'm now up that much.

I imagine a simple, generic app:

Input:

1. Nickname of car.
2. Wh/mile or km; or miles or km/kWh.
3. Local cost of electricity.
4. Optional: Miles or kilometers driven per year; or the app would calculate per 100 miles.
5. Cost of car or down payment and monthly payments and duration, and cost of routine maintenance.
6. Expected lifetime of car in years or miles.
7. Expected trade-in value at the end of that time.
8. MPG of gas car to be compared.
9. Local cost of gas.
10. Repeat 5, 6, and 7 for gas car to be compared.

Then the app would tell you your pro-rated cost per year for both cars. Or you could leave out 5, 6, and 7, and it would give you energy cost per 100 miles. I would not tie the app to any given car or company. Admittedly, the Volt would require a more complicated app.

Or the app could be generalized for any two cars by including percentage of EV use. For an EV this would be 100, for a gas car it would be zero, and for a PHV it would depend on your driving pattern, which in the case of the Volt I think the car tells you.

I think this would be a simple app to write, for anyone who has the tools to write apps. Two decades ago I programmed in C as a hobby, and I think I could have written such a program. I have not attempted to write software since I got rid of my DOS machine. I don't even have a compiler installed on my computer. I know there's one in OS X but I'm not sure even how to access it, and writing software on a multi-tasking OS is more than I care to attempt. (Though I'd really love to have a C compiler (not C++, which I never learned) that would have a CreateWindow function that would handle all the events for me, and just let me write an algorithm that would run in that window.)

$4 gas may not matter to some people but all it takes is one oil crisis with gas shooting up to maybe $6 a gallon and the Model S would make a lot more sense to many people.

Gas price volatility and expectation of volatility has me in real angst: $4 today, $2.50 tomorrow, up to $6 then back to $5. For me this uncertainty is definitely a big factor for going EV. I wonder, however, if an oil glut takes the price of gas down to $2.50 and keeps it there, whether anyone would care buying a Tesla Model S? Are this car's other features such as style, storage, quiet ride, sound system, quickness, environmental benefits etc... sufficient to keep sales going?

Gas price volatility and expectation of volatility has me in real angst: $4 today, $2.50 tomorrow, up to $6 then back to $5. For me this uncertainty is definitely a big factor for going EV. I wonder, however, if an oil glut takes the price of gas down to $2.50 and keeps it there, whether anyone would care buying a Tesla Model S? Are this car's other features such as style, storage, quiet ride, sound system, quickness, environmental benefits etc... sufficient to keep sales going?

If you're not in it purely because of the price of gas, sure ;)

Traditional sources of oil are drying up. Newer techniques - shale rock, deep water - are economically feasible only if the current price levels (or more) can be maintained. Rest assured, there's no oil glut out there that can knock the price down...

About the only thing that could produce a somewhat sustained drop in gas prices is a global recession.

We have to face the fact that we have to leave oil in the ground for use for plastics and chemicals for the next 10,000 years. It's an amazing resource, but it should not be burned. Tesla was adamant about that.

“Whatever our resources of primary energy may be in the future,” Tesla wrote in Century Magazine in 1900, “we must, to be rational, obtain it without consumption of any material.”

Status
Not open for further replies.