Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are definitely right, you're a programmer. A mathematician would have said i=sqrt(-1). :smile:

(And an EE major would say I=V/R.)

You are right about that 'i' is the square root of -1. I never used 'i' as an increment in my programming classes in college. Couldn't bring myself to do it.

I don't really use 'i' as an engineer. But know that I could use it.

As a power system engineer (dealing with three phases always thus complex numbers) 'i' is my first increment, 'j' is my (-1)^(1/2) and I =V/R. Back on topic I am so glad I sold my up positions and put in the trailing stop, got lots of TSLA at $27.70, having previously bought a lot at $30.05. This is a good day.

I'm pretty sure that the firm delivery date has at least as large a positive as the crash test results. Frankly, I'm surprised it's only up to $31, especially given the happy mood in the market overall this morning.
The delivery date is not really firm until it happens. Until then, it's just a promise. I believe they'll make it, but that just means I believe Tesla's promises. Have those first cars been built yet? If not, anything could still happen. But crash tests are solid news. Over on Prius Chat there are still people shouting up and down that Tesla will fail. They probably reflect the sentiment in a segment of the market, and that sentiment will hold the price down. Actual delivery of cars to owners (not merely a promised "firm" delivery date) will be significant news. There will still be doubters chanting that it's a low-volume luxury car for tree-huggers, but the market will take note when the assembly line is pumping out cars and regular people are driving them. Another milestone will be when they start paying off the government loan.

(i=i+1 I could do, so I'm a programmer)
For me it was just i++. So much easier.

Investment community gives Tesla Motors vote of confidence - latimes.com

I don't think I saw this before (sorry if it was already discussed). Something I thought was interesting in here.

Morgan Stanley forecasts that Tesla will sell close to 3,000 cars this year, 16,000 next year and 19,000 in the following year.

Those estimates are a good bit below Tesla's targets. Which means that if Tesla is able to meet its targets, Morgan Stanley will be forced to raise their price target. As you may recall, this is the analyst that triggered a massive sell off when he dropped his price target to $44.

Actually, weren't they scheduled to do that at the end of 2012? I remember an article being posted about that recently.

Tesla Says It Will Start Repaying U.S. Loans By End Of Year

"Speaking to Bloomberg, Tesla chief financial officer Deepak Ahuja said 'We are delivering on the milestones, what we're committed to...once we are delivering customer cars, that signifies completion of the project'.
That suggests that Tesla will begin to repay the loan as soon as the first customer has his or her car, and will be a relief to anyone beginning to worry about the viability of the DoE loans."

It does seem to be the author's inference instead of an explicit Tesla quote.

The delivery date is not really firm until it happens. Until then, it's just a promise. I believe they'll make it, but that just means I believe Tesla's promises. Have those first cars been built yet? If not, anything could still happen.

This sounds rather ambiguous, it's not a "promise" either. It's simply a specific scheduled date, as opposed to a more vague one so far, and indicates that there are no more major unknowns (even though unexpected delays are always possible, if only for the possibility of an earthquake). The dates in the contracts are more like promises. But if they deliver June 24th instead of June 22nd, then I'd consider that simply a delay, and not a broken promise.

I don't think I saw this before (sorry if it was already discussed). Something I thought was interesting in here.

Those estimates are a good bit below Tesla's targets. Which means that if Tesla is able to meet its targets, Morgan Stanley will be forced to raise their price target. As you may recall, this is the analyst that triggered a massive sell off when he dropped his price target to $44.

I think year 1 @ 5k should be easy barring no hiccups. Year 2 and beyond greatly depends on demand once the early adopters have been served.

It does seem to be the author's inference instead of an explicit Tesla quote.

Thanks guys. It does seem as if Deepak said December though:

The remaining funds will be used by the third quarter, with repayments to begin in December, Chief Financial Officer Deepak Ahuja said.

The most recent rating given by Morgan Stanley has a price target of $44. Assuming they're using these sale's estimates for their price target there's a big upside if Tesla is able to meet their production figures, and even more if Tesla decides that they want to increase productivity over their stated goals.

I think Tesla will increase production capacity over what their stated production figures are if they get a flood of reservations. If there isnt a spike in reservations I think they'll only produce what they've stated they'll produce.

I agree. I don't think they would have announced the June 22nd date unless they were absolutely sure they could hit it. The first car is probably already done and undergoing close testing.
Tesla has definitely taken a under promise, over deliver approach when it comes to their press releases. I have a lot of confidence in them if they say they're going to do something.

Tesla has definitely taken a under promise, over deliver approach when it comes to their press releases. I have a lot of confidence in them if they say they're going to do something.

With that history in mind, would be nice to see DOE loans start to get repaid in late fall as opposed to "repayments to begin in December". Could be another nice little kick in the seat for the stock. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.